Sign in to follow this  
monkie

Ultimate Callala - 2/60/15 Race Report

Not quite a 70.3 but I thought it deserved a report anyway mainly as therapy for myself!

This race was part of the Callala Ultimate Triathlon Festival, another one of Elite Energy's offerings around Jervis Bay and nicely timed for a last hit out of the year. Callala is located in the vicinity of Huskisson but is on the other side of the bay and is a beautiful spot like most of that part of the world. The weekend had a full set of races including Sprint, Super Sprint, Xterra Offroad Standard & Sprint, the Ultimate and a Club Distance.

The Elite Energy Ultimate series started as mostly 70.3 distances but now seem to be focussing on the 2/60/15 in between distance.

The race was scheduled for the Sunday with an 0800 start, we left the place we were staying at half six (very civilised) which should have got us to registration for 0700. Unfortunately we had failed to notice that the main access road to Callala Beach from Princes Highway was closed from 0630 (not sure if it was for the race or maintenance) which meant that out 20km drive turned into a 42km drive as we had to find a route around. This meant we arrived at 0725 which was five minutes before registration & transition closed! Horribly rushed start to the morning meant I forgot to put electrolyte in my bottle and didn't have any sunblock for T2.. the start of the day's challenges!

I went into this one with the aim of coming 2nd or 3rd in my AG... alas that was not to be. My plan was to survive the swim and then lay it all out on the bike (see other topic about pushing hard enough on the bike) and then see what happened with the run. 

Swim

The swim was a two lap rectangular course with a beach start. The sun was shining but the water was cold, not unpleasantly so but just a bit of a shock to the system. Just before the off we saw a pod of dolphins swimming across the bay which was a great way to start the race. The pace of the main pack was faster than me so I lost most of the feet I was following. The swim seemed loooong and I measured it at 2.4km (usual caveat of unreliable GPS in the water) and I was at the back of the pack on the way out. Nice run up the beach to T1 and promptly onto the bike.

Bike

I smashed straight into it as hard as I could and the first couple of Ks started to feel really good, I overtook 5 or 6 people who were out of the water before me and began to relax. At about 3km I heard the dreaded hiss of a puncture and then began the process of fixing my first ever in race flat. I did not do this well. I spent the first three minutes cursing and generally being useless. Then I wasted more time calming down and then faffed around changing a tyre for the first time on a deep rimmed wheel. All in all it took me 20 minutes (calculated by the auto pause times) to get it fixed. Getting back on an cracking on was mentally tough. I knew my target of finishing top three was gone and I still had 57km to cycle and then 15km to run and I couldn't really see why... but I found a bag of concrete and decided to see what I could do. I was at the back of the ladies race (they started 3 minutes after us) but I decided to go for it anyway... gradually pulled myself up the pack and enjoyed being in the forest. The cicada's were insanely loud and the scenery was stunning, the course was undulating with a couple of steep climbs but nothing daft. The weather was ideal too, not too hot but nice and bright. At about 45km my chain came off (brilliant) but apart from that it was a smooth ride and I came into T2 with a bike split of 2:10 having pushed myself harder than in any previous race.

Run

My favourite bit! It was a two lap out and back, nice and flat with plenty of aid stations (including a couple of well placed garden sprinklers and a hosepipe) I was aiming for 4:10/km but settled at around 4:15. I was mainly aiming to beat Sebee (we've all got to have a target) and I managed to make up about 20 - 30 places on the run but it wasn't enough to make up for the bike. Final time was 4:01 something or other which placed me 6th in my age group...Frustratingly without the 20minute stop I would have slotted in nicely to 3rd but hey ho, it wasn't to be on the day.

A great day out in a lovely spot, perfectly organised as ever by EE. 

Next year!

Edited by monkie

Well done Monkie. I can normally change a flat pretty quickly, but took me an age my first time I got a flat in a race, I feel your pain!

12 hours ago, monkie said:

Not quite a 70.3 but I thought it deserved a report anyway mainly as therapy for myself!

This race was part of the Callala Ultimate Triathlon Festival, another one of Elite Energy's offerings around Jervis Bay and nicely timed for a last hit out of the year. Callala is located in the vicinity of Huskisson but is on the other side of the bay and is a beautiful spot like most of that part of the world. The weekend had a full set of races including Sprint, Super Sprint, Xterra Offroad Standard & Sprint, the Ultimate and a Club Distance.

The Elite Energy Ultimate series started as mostly 70.3 distances but now seem to be focussing on the 2/60/15 in between distance.

The race was scheduled for the Sunday with an 0800 start, we left the place we were staying at half six (very civilised) which should have got us to registration for 0700. Unfortunately we had failed to notice that the main access road to Callala Beach from Princes Highway was closed from 0630 (not sure if it was for the race or maintenance) which meant that out 20km drive turned into a 42km drive as we had to find a route around. This meant we arrived at 0725 which was five minutes before registration & transition closed! Horribly rushed start to the morning meant I forgot to put electrolyte in my bottle and didn't have any sunblock for T2.. the start of the day's challenges!

I went into this one with the aim of coming 2nd or 3rd in my AG... alas that was not to be. My plan was to survive the swim and then lay it all out on the bike (see other topic about pushing hard enough on the bike) and then see what happened with the run. 

Swim

The swim was a two lap rectangular course with a beach start. The sun was shining but the water was cold, not unpleasantly so but just a bit of a shock to the system. Just before the off we saw a pod of dolphins swimming across the bay which was a great way to start the race. The pace of the main pack was faster than me so I lost most of the feet I was following. The swim seemed loooong and I measured it at 2.4km (usual caveat of unreliable GPS in the water) and I was at the back of the pack on the way out. Nice run up the beach to T1 and promptly onto the bike.

Bike

I smashed straight into it as hard as I could and the first couple of Ks started to feel really good, I overtook 5 or 6 people who were out of the water before me and began to relax. At about 3km I heard the dreaded hiss of a puncture and then began the process of fixing my first ever in race flat. I did not do this well. I spent the first three minutes cursing and generally being useless. Then I wasted more time calming down and then faffed around changing a tyre for the first time on a deep rimmed wheel. All in all it took me 20 minutes (calculated by the auto pause times) to get it fixed. Getting back on an cracking on was mentally tough. I knew my target of finishing top three was gone and I still had 57km to cycle and then 15km to run and I couldn't really see why... but I found a bag of concrete and decided to see what I could do. I was at the back of the ladies race (they started 3 minutes after us) but I decided to go for it anyway... gradually pulled myself up the pack and enjoyed being in the forest. The cicada's were insanely loud and the scenery was stunning, the course was undulating with a couple of steep climbs but nothing daft. The weather was ideal too, not too hot but nice and bright. At about 45km my chain came off (brilliant) but apart from that it was a smooth ride and I came into T2 with a bike split of 2:10 having pushed myself harder than in any previous race.

Run

My favourite bit! It was a two lap out and back, nice and flat with plenty of aid stations (including a couple of well placed garden sprinklers and a hosepipe) I was aiming for 4:10/km but settled at around 4:15. I was mainly aiming to beat Sebee (we've all got to have a target) and I managed to make up about 20 - 30 places on the run but it wasn't enough to make up for the bike. Final time was 4:01 something or other which placed me 6th in my age group...Frustratingly without the 20minute stop I would have slotted in nicely to 3rd but hey ho, it wasn't to be on the day.

A great day out in a lovely spot, perfectly organised as ever by EE. 

Next year!

Well done on finding a way to re-focus & got on with racing. Great report too, thanks for sharing

10 hours ago, Limited said:

Nice report and race monkie... except for the flat:(. Seems like you still ran pretty well after pushing the bike harder

Thanks mate. Yeah, it confirmed that I can run whatever I do before... just need to toughen up on all future bike legs!

Nice report. One of my favourite races. I enjoy the bike / a little rough but very honest. A very friendly race. I think the perfect distance for me. 

FM