Oompa Loompa

Helmets - Should we have to wear them

5 minutes ago, Turts said:

Sure. But commuting is not the same as tootling along the bike path at 10kph for a bottle of milk with a basket on the front - which is the scenario being tossed about as where helmets shouldnt need to be worn. Commuting is different. More kms, traffic maybe, faster speeds etc. 

OK, let's go with active transport, whether that is to work, school, uni, local sport, shops, movies wherever. They are no different really, why does commuting have to be fast? This is where Australia has it all wrong when it comes to cycling.

What if I ride to the shop at 30kph, with a helmet but get beer and chips, does that even out? :lol:

Edited by FatPom

3 minutes ago, AA7 said:

OK, let's go with active transport, whether that is to work, school, uni, local sport, shops, movies wherever. They are no different really, why does commuting have to be fast? This is where Australia has it all wrong when it comes to cycling.

There is a woman with two kids in Winchester that rides a full on cargo bike, everywhere. Shopping, school, kids, dogs and probably contraband. You name it, she's haulin' it!

Edited by FatPom

Image result for helmet use and population health

This is not the graph I was looking for, but a good one anyway. 

I'll keep looking for the one about active transport. I'm off to ride a Citycycle for part of my journey to work. I may or may not wear a helmet. Hopefully I survive the 3km trip along the bike path. I will wear a hat to protect against skin cancer though. It kills way more people every year than  cycling crashes.

Edited by AA7

19 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I will wear a hat to protect against skin cancer though. It kills way more people every year that cycling crashes.

Still gives you hat/helmet hair tho!

The issue isn't so much about the efficacy of helmets in an individual incident but the mandatory wearing of them and the impacts such legislation has on overall health and safety. Helmets are compulsory in racing, and if you are a CA member at least, also in training. In such scenarios helmet use being mandatory does make sense. But riding the cruiser at the beach?

Immediately following introduction of MHL cycling participation rates more than halved, and since then fatality rates per km cycled have not improved. Indeed in the first decade on the 2000s they got worse.

For cycling safety, MHLs don't even make the top 10 list of things governments and communities can do. Indeed this legislation has probably resulted in a net increase in cycling deaths per km cycled.

What makes the biggest difference are strategies that increase cycling participation rates.

5a2f379261956_Helmetusagevfatalityrate2.jpg.27d22fbd131fd35ba30547799a154895.jpg5a2f349d6b027_Helmetlawimpacttotal.jpg.7ab460d30d922742287c3a30e4f6835c.jpg

5a2f3617d2638_Cyclingfatalitynumbertrendbycountry.jpg.bb8f383dd2ec0c63a62f74c216148029.jpg

• Like 1

There is not a lot of correlation between the speed you are travelling on a bike and the risk of injuring your head.  If you believe that one punch can kill (it's usually about the head hitting the concrete) think about how you can damage your head if you fall off you bike while it is stationary.  If you land on your back there is usually a whiplash effect which bangs your head hard against the ground.  Obviously, as you speed up you have less control over how you hit the ground and the pace of contact.

Personally, I have been saved from serious injury by wearing a helmet and never leave the house on my bike without one.  However, I do not endorse the nanny state where they are compulsory.  People should be responsible for their own lives and make decisions accordingly.  Education, on the other hand, is a good start and showing teenagers how 'cool' it is to end up with brain damage from not wearing a helmet might be a good start.

Lived in Sweden for a couple of years riding daily into town and never once wore a helmet. Probably couldn't afford one, but still wasn't the done thing. I had nice hair too. More wear them these days there though.

Personal choice but wouldn't  touch my bike without one on here. Had a heavy fall once on a quick decline shattering the front right of the helmet. Just exploded. Prefer that not to have been my head. Each to their own.

Have even started wearing one on the skateboard. Stupid kids can't accept a different set of rules...

I'm starting to believe we (people who ride bikes for exercise) would be safer on the roads if we could get more people riding, and not be an US vs THEM scenario. No way would I ride a bike without a helmet. Kid across the road trashed his helmet in a low speed accident where a dog ran out in front of him. But I do believe more people would ride if they didn't have to wear a helmet, so I'm starting to believe that this is the way to go. Kind of like "herd immunity", where if we can get someone within a bogan/tradie family riding a bike, maybe they won't try to injure every cyclist they come across.

• Like 1

Whether wearing helmets is right or wrong, necessary or unnecessary, one thing that should not be overlooked is insurance claims.

As we all know, insurance companies are quite happy to take our premiums but often make claiming difficult. Should you be unfortunate enough to hit the deck and end up in hospital, your claim could be denied if you weren't wearing a helmet ( ie. not complying to the road rules )

10 minutes ago, softy said:

Whether wearing helmets is right or wrong, necessary or unnecessary, one thing that should not be overlooked is insurance claims.

As we all know, insurance companies are quite happy to take our premiums but often make claiming difficult. Should you be unfortunate enough to hit the deck and end up in hospital, your claim could be denied if you weren't wearing a helmet ( ie. not complying to the road rules )

And even if the rules were changed, I'm sure they would be pushing some of the blame back on the person as "contributing" due to not wearing a helmet.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:54 AM, Turts said:

Still gives you hat/helmet hair tho!

I'd rather have hat/helmet hair than hat/blood hair.

FM

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

I'd rather have hat/helmet hair than hat/blood hair.

FM

Yeah sorry should have had a sarcasm thingy. Was reference to an earlier comment abou not wearing a helmet cos it  gives u helmet hair and a sweaty head

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Yeah sorry should have had a sarcasm thingy. Was reference to an earlier comment abou not wearing a helmet cos it  gives u helmet hair and a sweaty head

Nope never said that. I said I'd wear a hat which would protect against skin cancer. More chance of that killing me than a bike crash.

16 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Nope never said that. I said I'd wear a hat which would protect against skin cancer. More chance of that killing me than a bike crash.

Was other general comments about reasons not to wear a helmet. And u mentioned you may or may not wear one. 

Nevermind. 

just went full bogan.

chuked the boardies over the sluggos, thongs, Bintang singlet and a cap and rode the fat bike the 2 mins to the bay for a swim. 

I heart summer 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

just went full bogan.

chuked the boardies over the sluggos, thongs, Bintang singlet and a cap and rode the fat bike the 2 mins to the bay for a swim. 

I heart summer 

Full bogan would have meant hopping into the commodore, stopping at the shop on the way to get fags, then driving the 2 minutes to the bay.

1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Full bogan would have meant hopping into the commodore, stopping at the shop on the way to get fags, then driving the 2 minutes to the bay.

:lol: I did pick up a slab of V.B cans on the way home.

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

:lol: I did pick up a slab of V.B cans on the way home.

Only acceptable if the first tin was 3/4 gone before you got home.

It amazes me helmets are not mandatory in the 100mtrs, 200mtrs etc at the Olympics with the risk of falling and serious head injury at speed. 

You wonder how sports like rugby and rugby league get away with it when you think of the cycling laws. 

Not saying either is right or wrong, just hypocritically inconsistent when compared to riding a bike 400mtrs to the beach at 5kms an hour. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

It amazes me helmets are not mandatory in the 100mtrs, 200mtrs etc at the Olympics with the risk of falling and serious head injury at speed. 

You wonder how sports like rugby and rugby league get away with it when you think of the cycling laws. 

Not saying either is right or wrong, just hypocritically inconsistent when compared to riding a bike 400mtrs to the beach at 5kms an hour. 

A lot to do with the unpredictability of what happens out on the road/path.

My Dad raced motorbikes, but got to the point he gave up riding them on the road as it was too dangerous.

Last year in Qld, 8 cyclists were killed, 36 pedestrians. Obviously we should be wearing helmets if we're walking.