rory-dognz

Taupo 70.3 swim cancelled

1 hour ago, Turts said:

That of all races would be the pits. Imagine travelling all the way over for that one, and the biggest feature of the race, the jump off the ferry and swim away from the island, gets cancelled.

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Taupo 70.3 just had swim cancelled due to algal bloom in water. Who needs a shark!!.

That can’t be murkier than some hell of the west swims???

Timely article in The Australian

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/the-times/study-finds-new-zealands-water-far-from-pure/news-story/d8c47ad6a103aa7a081b214ee246dde4

Might be behind a paywall but essentially "New Zealand’s rivers are increasingly polluted. New data suggested that it was not safe for people to swim in 60 per cent of its rivers and lakes"

"The inquiry’s report, released on Wednesday, said that intensive farming had increased the risk of contamination from animal faeces and from nitrates in urine. The authorities fear that contamination of drinking water “of sufficient severity to garner international media attention” will damage food exports and tourism, which rely on the country’s “clean, green image”."

2 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Might as well get in early and cancel the swim there for the Ironman in March.:huh:

Bloody hope not. Should be cooler in March.

Edited by monkie

Quick sledging check.

Steely what is your race calendar like?.

In joke but Steely has been to both shortened/cancelled IMNZ races (06, 12)

I've got sympathy for any race directors that have to deal with things on the day that impact on the intended course. It's a major pain in the bum that creates a whole extra amount of work for the organising committee and volunteers, and results in annoyed triathletes. Basically no upside or silver lining to be found anywhere.

35 minutes ago, Gundy said:

I've got sympathy for any race directors that have to deal with things on the day that impact on the intended course. It's a major pain in the bum that creates a whole extra amount of work for the organising committee and volunteers, and results in annoyed triathletes. Basically no upside or silver lining to be found anywhere.

Absolutely. The silver lining is there, but nobody will ever see it. the competitor that didn't get bitten, the rider that wasn't burnt, the swimmer that didn't go septic. Because these things would never happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Quick sledging check.

Steely what is your race calendar like?.

In joke but Steely has been to both shortened/cancelled IMNZ races (06, 12)

Did he enter IMWA this year?

3 hours ago, Cape_Horn said:

Doing the Full?

Yup. Entered already, accommodation & flights booked too. So I'm really going!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, monkie said:

Bloody hope not. Should be cooler in March.

I did 2006 of a windy 90k bike and 21k run...:huh:

On 08/12/2017 at 1:44 PM, Gundy said:

Lets all hope for a River Swim in Gundi in Feb - if not we'll just adapt as we all have before and go to plan B - as an endurance athlete you should be able to adapt to whatever comes your way - if you can't it's time for lawn bowls :wheelchair: or serious forum bleating :wallbash:

They had the Gundi sprint race on the weekend that a lot from the club here went out to - they weren't swimming in the river for it. Not that it means anything as such.

On 12/8/2017 at 4:58 PM, monkie said:

Yup. Entered already, accommodation & flights booked too. So I'm really going!

Pass me a beer when I finish ;)

You should be showered and have had a good 3hours sleep by the time I am done :D