Sign in to follow this  
monkie

Rashies

So my back is sunburnt. This is very silly of me and is purely because as a Brit I still fail to recognize how dangerous the sun is here. I was swimming for 70 minutes in Prince Alfred Park open air pool and it's left me with a red half of my body.

Mrs Monkie has told me to "Get a Rashie". I had to Google it... but I assume they work to protect from the sun? Any particularly good ones / bad ones / recommendations?

Cheers!

Monkie

Rashies are good in the surf....not so good for swimming unless you get a really tight fit so that its doesn't act as a parachute.

That said...you are better of a) swimming when the sun is not so harsh or B) go buy an actual swim top they all wear in Hawaii these days. Not cheap, but not too expensive when you look back and say good decision in 30 years time.

40 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Rashies are good in the surf....not so good for swimming unless you get a really tight fit so that its doesn't act as a parachute.

That said...you are better of a) swimming when the sun is not so harsh or B) go buy an actual swim top they all wear in Hawaii these days. Not cheap, but not too expensive when you look back and say good decision in 30 years time.

Yeah swimming at midday is not the one but I am very much at the mercy of my work schedule and being able to slip the pool in whilst on the way between the office and a client or similar is very useful.

Do you have a link to what you mean about the swimming top? With Christmas coming up I have some wishlists to share with people.

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Use a Tri-Top with short sleeves & put sunscreen on your arms & neck.

And this is why I constantly need to ask this forum! Thanks Ex! The obvious solution!

Put some boardies on too and make it a real strength session!  Actually add in a tow sponge closed fists and it'll be like being in an endless pool - you may never make it to the other end!

• Haha 2

I have done it a lot . Tips: 

- Buy a rashie (longsleeve) off Ebay - the chlorine kills them quickly, so don't spend big money on it. Expect it to last 6 months or so

-Get a tight fit

- Wash it in the machine after the swim  (maybe two rashies, depending on your schedule)

- Use lots of Body Glide or similar, they can chaff the neck

-Sun cream on the bits not covered. Do that as soon as you arrive at the pool to give it a good amount of time to dry

I swim in a long sleeve one in jervis bay over summer, bit of drag but beats the hell out of being burnt. Nobody swims past so doesn’t slow you down that much, don’t get eaten by sharks either, mind you, don’t think there are sharks in jervis bay.....lol. 

I just buy what’s on special. 

On 07/12/2017 at 9:15 PM, monkie said:

Do you have a link to what you mean about the swimming top? With Christmas coming up I have some wishlists to share with people.

22 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

These guys normally wear these over there tri suits. You can see some already pulling them off.

Awesome. Thanks Foz! I had an unplanned hour to waste in Westfield today so went to Speedo and spent far too much on a swimming top...