Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Car fuel. When empty isn't empty

I discovered the hard way after a navigating error in Western NSW my Kluger gets around 75kms after empty towing a caravan.  72 litre tank and pulled into a small town and put 71.5 litres back into it.  I purchased a couple of jerry cans and keep them with us on the longer journeys now, and follow the satnav a bit better instead of going by my nose

55 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

How could it be so far out? That's another 15%.

Safety buffer for those of us who always wait till the car is screaming at is to fill it up!

My old work van developed an issue where it would indicate empty when more than half full, something wing with the float or whatever in the tank.  We used to keep a container of fuel in it, cause you'd go up based on the trip Meyer instead, but sometimes you'd forget to zero it when filling up. That bottle got emptied a fair bit....

Years ago was driving my fil's Magna home from emerald and he said your get "this many" k's out of a tank. Well, we didn't even get close and was about 5k short of the next town when it ran dry, but I still got to 2k from the town, rolling in neutral for nearly 3k, thanks to the gentle down hill, or the curvature of the earth (take that flat earthers) or something.

Edited by goughy
  • Haha 1

im the opposite, i never like having less than half a tank.  maybe due to my years in this industry and working in cyclone prone areas, work always tells us to have our work Utes at half or over.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Safety buffer for those of us who always wait till the car is screaming at is to fill it up!

Possibly to do with performance too, do you really want to be sucking up the crap that settles on the bottom of the fuel tank into the engine?

• Like 1

On 12/7/2017 at 10:12 AM, Cottoneyes said:

Possibly to do with performance too, do you really want to be sucking up the crap that settles on the bottom of the fuel tank into the engine?

In a diesel...no. Apparently its around $20K to fix a Landcruiser 200 series engine after you suck crap and water through the injectors

My sister had a classic beetle that had the habit of showing 1/4 full and then 3 miles later EMPTY. I ended up on the shoulder a couple of times in that!

9 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

In a diesel...no. Apparently its around $20K to fix a Landcruiser 200 series engine after you suck crap and water through the injectors

Landcruisers these days are soft, don't know how many times in the old 80 series wagons or 70 series utes we ran out without problems.  2 minutes to bleed the engine after a top up and back on the road