Sar

Anyone done IM Austria? Or, how soon have I forgotten saying I'd never do another...

10 hours ago, willie said:

Challenge Roth. 

/End thread 

Lots of you guys have said Roth - so there's obviously a reason.  But I kinda want to hear the 'Sarah you're an Ironman'...  This will probably be a one time event (said that before...).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sar said:

Lots of you guys have said Roth - so there's obviously a reason.  But I kinda want to hear the 'Sarah you're an Ironman'...  This will probably be a one time event (said that before...).

No one that's commented on here has actually done IM Austria but they're recommending all these other races.  The 70.3 WC held at Zell am See is ~200k's away from where IM Austria held so not necessarily representative either.  Go with the race that appeals the most - Austria as a holiday destination I can comment on having been there lots of times in summer and winter and I think it's great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, truck said:

No one that's commented on here has actually done IM Austria but they're recommending all these other races.  The 70.3 WC held at Zell am See is ~200k's away from where IM Austria held so not necessarily representative either.  Go with the race that appeals the most - Austria as a holiday destination I can comment on having been there lots of times in summer and winter and I think it's great.

Like your thinking!  I've read race reports about Austria and they are on the whole really positive.  As far as hills go, it's Ironman not Softman I read recently so they will all be tough and I can train for hills on the bike.  

As far as going nearer to home - which I completely understand - I could have gone to Busso and had the swim cancel, or Taupo and the same happen by the look of it, so things can go wrong wherever you go. 

It'll be a holiday too and so that aspect is important and initial thoughts are Austria, Croatia and Italy which will all be relatively easy from there.

Best race experience for me is Roth too. My missus did Roth as her first iron distance race, and loved it to bits. The whole experience is just at another level, everything there is magnified 10x better. 

On 12/5/2017 at 11:27 AM, Sar said:

So, despite 'never doing that again' after WS 70.3 the other day, my helpful husband says why not do a full...  He's nice like that.

I'm thinking Austria in 2020 (big birthday that year).  I felt pretty good after WS 70.3 so the training plan obviously worked and I know what I need to improve on.  I thought Austria for a few reasons.  Reputation, we can have a nice holiday afterwards, I like the idea of a lake swim (hey, no sharks...), flat run.  Er, hilly bike though!  I've got weedy legs but can build some strength.

Anyone done it?  Or any thoughts on going from 70.3 to full?

Mate of mine did Austria a few years back, i remember him saying the bike course is fast because of the rolling course and high speed descents, he chickened out on the first lap and hit the brakes more often then he should, once he got used to the high speeds downhill, he was more comfortable on the 2nd lap. 

Ever considered a race in the USA instead?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Supamau said:

Mate of mine did Austria a few years back, i remember him saying the bike course is fast because of the rolling course and high speed descents, he chickened out on the first lap and hit the brakes more often then he should, once he got used to the high speeds downhill, he was more comfortable on the 2nd lap. 

Ever considered a race in the USA instead?

Hadn't really considered the US cos of the European holiday add on.  I know there are US holiday destinations available!