Jump to content
Peter

Imwa race day. Swim cancelled

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, zed said:

Very frustrating. Can't blame the organisers, but we need a better plan B. There are a shitload of sharks in WA, we can't just cancel a swim because a shark was sighted. I think they need to take into consideration type of shark, size etc and give it time to ****offski. A 2m reef shark is very different to a 6m Great White. Last 3 triathlons I've done in WA have had the swims cancelled because of sharks.

You need to do what we do here in Qld. You string up a dozen nets that are only about 150m long and a few metres deep to cover 40km of beach, then tell everybody it's safe.

There hasn't been a fatal shark attack here since they started doing it 55 years ago.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

Must be a pretty light weight sauce - you're still making sense!  Lemon, lime and bitters will only get you so far!

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

Must be a pretty light weight sauce - you're still making sense!  Lemon, lime and bitters will only get you so far!

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Katz said:

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

 

14 minutes ago, Katz said:

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

I'm seeing double now. Maybe I need to pace myself.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DNF for this little black duck.

Went in poorly trained (nothing new in that and I've been in worse shape before) and not particularly motivated to race at all.  Spent the last few weeks waiting for the inspiration to come but add the race week milestones ticked over and still nothing it didn't look great.  Even race morning I wasn't excited and then when they cancelled the swim I was flatter than the bike course.

Having a "special friend" show up unexpectedly on the beach as we waited an hour in the sun to start was the best kind of distraction but or on the hot course it all just became too tough for me.  In the end I thought if it's good enough for Pete Jacobs it's good enough for me and pulled the pin to go spectate my friends and club mates.  It was a great decision but still not enough to inspire me to want to race this distance again any time soon.  Time to hang up the boots, temporarily at least.

In the spirit of the race yesterday, today at 12pm we will be holding the beer 3/4 mile.  It will be beer+run x 3 with a beer to finish.  All welcome but the weather isn't great for it today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stikman said:

DNF for this little black duck.

Went in poorly trained (nothing new in that and I've been in worse shape before) and not particularly motivated to race at all.  Spent the last few weeks waiting for the inspiration to come but add the race week milestones ticked over and still nothing it didn't look great.  Even race morning I wasn't excited and then when they cancelled the swim I was flatter than the bike course.

Having a "special friend" show up unexpectedly on the beach as we waited an hour in the sun to start was the best kind of distraction but or on the hot course it all just became too tough for me.  In the end I thought if it's good enough for Pete Jacobs it's good enough for me and pulled the pin to go spectate my friends and club mates.  It was a great decision but still not enough to inspire me to want to race this distance again any time soon.  Time to hang up the boots, temporarily at least.

In the spirit of the race yesterday, today at 12pm we will be holding the beer 3/4 mile.  It will be beer+run x 3 with a beer to finish.  All welcome but the weather isn't great for it today.

I had the same feeling last year Stickman.I did manage to get to the finish line but without any jubilation.Taking this year off to try and find that IM buzz again seems to be slowly working.There is always next year mate! You have unfinished business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blacky said:

One guy went out and did the swim at night after he finished the run !

Yeh just saw this on facebook too. Eeek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about some of those shark repelling devices that emit electrical currents that the sharks don't like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stikman said:

DNF for this little black duck.

I did wonder.  Had a friend do a 5:22 bike.  Ran 5k and pulled the pin.

I do wonder if this will happen more and more in the future.

Technology allows us to see sharks now.

In 2001 at Forster you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone someone see a bullshark in the swim.

Now, they think they see something, and its cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yoyo said:

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

Welcome back! And yes. Agreed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Peter said:

I did wonder.  Had a friend do a 5:22 bike.  Ran 5k and pulled the pin.

I do wonder if this will happen more and more in the future.

Technology allows us to see sharks now.

In 2001 at Forster you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone someone see a bullshark in the swim.

Now, they think they see something, and its cancelled. 

I saw a small bull shark in the shallows on Main beach Forster back in 2004 the day before IM. Lots of dolphins in the keys. A bunch of sharks no doubt s well ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

 

I'm seeing double now. Maybe I need to pace myself.

Beat me to it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yoyo said:

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

The King has Returned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AA7 said:

What about some of those shark repelling devices that emit electrical currents that the sharks don't like. 

 

images (1).jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Just noticed this on Triathlon Marketplace.

image.thumb.png.d27c2274c8f65ffc001f95e5107d8582.png

I was literally about to delete that post then read all the comments. Way too funny to delete!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I saw a small bull shark in the shallows on Main beach Forster back in 2004 the day before IM. Lots of dolphins in the keys. A bunch of sharks no doubt s well ...

The Great Race on the GC used to swim in the canals around the Casino. The same canals that have signs everywhere saying "DO NOT SWIM" due to the large number of bull sharks in the area. Hell, we used to do training sessions on our own swimming around it, after work just before dark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious question - has anyone ever been bitten or attacked by a shark in a triathlon or ocean swim race?   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Serious question - has anyone ever been bitten or attacked by a shark in a triathlon or ocean swim race?   

Don't think so --- I did some research when I first started triathlon.

Someone was attacked  in USA on one occasion -- but was in a training swim 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you imagine the bruhaha if someone did get snacked on though?

I am sure that persons family and friends would be fine with an organisers decision to continue on after seeing a clear and present danger...?

Not saying I agree with it but can see both sides..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Don't think so --- I did some research when I first started triathlon.

Someone was attacked  in USA on one occasion -- but was in a training swim 

Yup no records of anyone been attacked in an OWS or triathlon. 

The estimated population of Great Whites off the coast of WA is over 5500, god knows what the total amount would be if you include, tigers, bronze whalers, hammerheads etc If you have a helicopter flying around looking for sharks, they're going to find one. Ditch the helicopter for starters and get a plan B together e.g shark rocks up, assess it's size, species, chase it out to sea, wait an hour and if it's gone go for it. If it's still hanging around get the swimmers to do bog laps inside the shark enclosure, perhaps an extended one. Or change the format to bike, swim, run or something. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×