Jump to content
Peter

Imwa race day. Swim cancelled

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, zed said:

Very frustrating. Can't blame the organisers, but we need a better plan B. There are a shitload of sharks in WA, we can't just cancel a swim because a shark was sighted. I think they need to take into consideration type of shark, size etc and give it time to ****offski. A 2m reef shark is very different to a 6m Great White. Last 3 triathlons I've done in WA have had the swims cancelled because of sharks.

You need to do what we do here in Qld. You string up a dozen nets that are only about 150m long and a few metres deep to cover 40km of beach, then tell everybody it's safe.

There hasn't been a fatal shark attack here since they started doing it 55 years ago.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

Must be a pretty light weight sauce - you're still making sense!  Lemon, lime and bitters will only get you so far!

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, goughy said:

Must be a pretty light weight sauce - you're still making sense!  Lemon, lime and bitters will only get you so far!

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Katz said:

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

 

14 minutes ago, Katz said:

Haha. I paced myself better than I pace an IM. 

I'm seeing double now. Maybe I need to pace myself.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DNF for this little black duck.

Went in poorly trained (nothing new in that and I've been in worse shape before) and not particularly motivated to race at all.  Spent the last few weeks waiting for the inspiration to come but add the race week milestones ticked over and still nothing it didn't look great.  Even race morning I wasn't excited and then when they cancelled the swim I was flatter than the bike course.

Having a "special friend" show up unexpectedly on the beach as we waited an hour in the sun to start was the best kind of distraction but or on the hot course it all just became too tough for me.  In the end I thought if it's good enough for Pete Jacobs it's good enough for me and pulled the pin to go spectate my friends and club mates.  It was a great decision but still not enough to inspire me to want to race this distance again any time soon.  Time to hang up the boots, temporarily at least.

In the spirit of the race yesterday, today at 12pm we will be holding the beer 3/4 mile.  It will be beer+run x 3 with a beer to finish.  All welcome but the weather isn't great for it today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Stikman said:

DNF for this little black duck.

Went in poorly trained (nothing new in that and I've been in worse shape before) and not particularly motivated to race at all.  Spent the last few weeks waiting for the inspiration to come but add the race week milestones ticked over and still nothing it didn't look great.  Even race morning I wasn't excited and then when they cancelled the swim I was flatter than the bike course.

Having a "special friend" show up unexpectedly on the beach as we waited an hour in the sun to start was the best kind of distraction but or on the hot course it all just became too tough for me.  In the end I thought if it's good enough for Pete Jacobs it's good enough for me and pulled the pin to go spectate my friends and club mates.  It was a great decision but still not enough to inspire me to want to race this distance again any time soon.  Time to hang up the boots, temporarily at least.

In the spirit of the race yesterday, today at 12pm we will be holding the beer 3/4 mile.  It will be beer+run x 3 with a beer to finish.  All welcome but the weather isn't great for it today.

I had the same feeling last year Stickman.I did manage to get to the finish line but without any jubilation.Taking this year off to try and find that IM buzz again seems to be slowly working.There is always next year mate! You have unfinished business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blacky said:

One guy went out and did the swim at night after he finished the run !

Yeh just saw this on facebook too. Eeek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about some of those shark repelling devices that emit electrical currents that the sharks don't like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stikman said:

DNF for this little black duck.

I did wonder.  Had a friend do a 5:22 bike.  Ran 5k and pulled the pin.

I do wonder if this will happen more and more in the future.

Technology allows us to see sharks now.

In 2001 at Forster you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone someone see a bullshark in the swim.

Now, they think they see something, and its cancelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yoyo said:

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

Welcome back! And yes. Agreed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Peter said:

I did wonder.  Had a friend do a 5:22 bike.  Ran 5k and pulled the pin.

I do wonder if this will happen more and more in the future.

Technology allows us to see sharks now.

In 2001 at Forster you couldn't see your hand in front of your face, let alone someone see a bullshark in the swim.

Now, they think they see something, and its cancelled. 

I saw a small bull shark in the shallows on Main beach Forster back in 2004 the day before IM. Lots of dolphins in the keys. A bunch of sharks no doubt s well ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

 

I'm seeing double now. Maybe I need to pace myself.

Beat me to it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, yoyo said:

hahahahaha weak as piss current day triathletes. Ive taken dumps with more substance than the modern day breed of instahoe tricathaletes!  #blessed

The King has Returned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, AA7 said:

What about some of those shark repelling devices that emit electrical currents that the sharks don't like. 

 

images (1).jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Just noticed this on Triathlon Marketplace.

image.thumb.png.d27c2274c8f65ffc001f95e5107d8582.png

I was literally about to delete that post then read all the comments. Way too funny to delete!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I saw a small bull shark in the shallows on Main beach Forster back in 2004 the day before IM. Lots of dolphins in the keys. A bunch of sharks no doubt s well ...

The Great Race on the GC used to swim in the canals around the Casino. The same canals that have signs everywhere saying "DO NOT SWIM" due to the large number of bull sharks in the area. Hell, we used to do training sessions on our own swimming around it, after work just before dark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Serious question - has anyone ever been bitten or attacked by a shark in a triathlon or ocean swim race?   

Don't think so --- I did some research when I first started triathlon.

Someone was attacked  in USA on one occasion -- but was in a training swim 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you imagine the bruhaha if someone did get snacked on though?

I am sure that persons family and friends would be fine with an organisers decision to continue on after seeing a clear and present danger...?

Not saying I agree with it but can see both sides..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Don't think so --- I did some research when I first started triathlon.

Someone was attacked  in USA on one occasion -- but was in a training swim 

Yup no records of anyone been attacked in an OWS or triathlon. 

The estimated population of Great Whites off the coast of WA is over 5500, god knows what the total amount would be if you include, tigers, bronze whalers, hammerheads etc If you have a helicopter flying around looking for sharks, they're going to find one. Ditch the helicopter for starters and get a plan B together e.g shark rocks up, assess it's size, species, chase it out to sea, wait an hour and if it's gone go for it. If it's still hanging around get the swimmers to do bog laps inside the shark enclosure, perhaps an extended one. Or change the format to bike, swim, run or something. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but thats like saying 300 people got killed riding a bike in 2016.  So Ironman goes, no bike anymore.

We see them scare off sharks all the time at regular beaches.  The clubbies love it.

From a chopper you'd see the shark so easy.

Now if it was a school of sharks, sure cancel the swim. But one shark?  Please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zed had a good idea. Scare it off and delay the start 1hr. Change cut off to 16hrs to meet the requirements of the noise permits etc. 

 

Great idea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Yeah but thats like saying 300 people got killed riding a bike in 2016.  So Ironman goes, no bike anymore.

We see them scare off sharks all the time at regular beaches.  The clubbies love it.

From a chopper you'd see the shark so easy.

Now if it was a school of sharks, sure cancel the swim. But one shark?  Please.

The message I got from a friend competing was there were 7 sharks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Slunnie said:

The message I got from a friend competing was there were 7 sharks.

That is quite a lot. They could make quite a mess of a triathlete or group of triathletes. The last thing Ironman would want is 47 triathletes eaten by 7 sharks. I am not aware of 47 triathletes ever being eaten before but we all know there is a first time for everything and the last thing you would want is blood in the water, with shredded neoprene all over the place and a parts of bodies floating in the water. It would not be good for our sport or the 47 people eaten, or the lifeguards, technical officials and volunteers that may come across a half eaten corpse. 

Good job Ironman. Well done, keep banning swims wherever there is salt water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I hear the tattoo palour in Busso did not get the business they were expecting.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of ppl complaining of kangaroos running across the road. I assume they must have been spooked by the fire. Never heard of it being a problem in Busso before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before everyone gets on their high horse about races being cut short because people are soft or some other rubbish, here are two words that should remind us why race organisers should have a duty of care: Turia Pit.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Customer said:

Before everyone gets on their high horse about races being cut short because people are soft or some other rubbish, here are two words that should remind us why race organisers should have a duty of care: Turia Pit.

surfs with burridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Plenty of ppl complaining of kangaroos running across the road. I assume they must have been spooked by the fire. Never heard of it being a problem in Busso before

dunno about the roos, but I remember the flies, busso was full of flies, you could swallow one if you were not careful.  and the japs wandering round with those net hats on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Plenty of ppl complaining of kangaroos running across the road. I assume they must have been spooked by the fire. Never heard of it being a problem in Busso before

Two people hit roos during the race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Who got Kona spots? 

#blessed #holygrail 

40-44 and 45-49 got 9 spots each

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zed said:

Two people hit roos during the race.

They should have cut the ride short.

 

 

 

 

Oh, that's right. They did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a PB for me:o, however it was my slowest marathon and if I had done the full ride it would have been my slowest bike.

No swim due to a shark, a 168.4 km cycle due to a bush fire and a 42 km run/stagger/shuffle.

A volunteer told me that there were 400+ DNF's.

Well done to every one who finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

A volunteer told me that there were 400+ DNF's.

Well done to every one who finished.

What do you think were the main causes of so many DNF's. I understand it was pretty hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AA7 said:

What about some of those shark repelling devices that emit electrical currents that the sharks don't like. 

Batman had an anti shark spray I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, surfer101 said:

Serious question - has anyone ever been bitten or attacked by a shark in a triathlon or ocean swim race?   

No....all the splashing etc scares them away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Turts said:

At least he's out there having go. Im sure he's not setting out to dnf. 

Hes going through some bad times and struggling pulling it together. Im sure we've all been there - just more privately. 

Give the guy a break. 

You missed the point here...... I was saying no one is a legend. The true meaning of a legend is a myth or even a fable.

Oh wait.... perhaps he is ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

You missed the point here...... I was saying no one is a legend. The true meaning of a legend is a myth or even a fable.

Oh wait.... perhaps he is ;)

Sorry mate, guess i picked the wrong post to quote.

My thoughts still stand, but not directed at you! Maybe...... meh. All gud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Before everyone gets on their high horse about races being cut short because people are soft or some other rubbish, here are two words that should remind us why race organisers should have a duty of care: Turia Pit.

 Don't think anyone has an issue with the fire cutting the course short. 

Lots the swim being totally cancelled. 

With no alternative. 

I suggest it's time for Noosa or Mooloolaba to get an ironman. They have alternate swims. Bikes. And runs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Slunnie said:

The message I got from a friend competing was there were 7 sharks.

Not true. It was 1 x 2m shark about 600m offshore. I heard the 7 shark rumour at the start area but that's all it was.

Edited by Tall Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://twitter.com/SLSWA?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Lots of shark sightings in Geographe Bay in recent days and weeks - Dusnborough just west of Busso in particular

Certainly would need to feel more positive about the ability to run the whole event in the future before I made the trip back

Swims cancelled in both Busselton Ironman events this year is not encouraging

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Plenty of ppl complaining of kangaroos running across the road. I assume they must have been spooked by the fire. Never heard of it being a problem in Busso before

Disappointment, no swim, bike cut for some - dream taken away of finishing an actual ironman. Would be hard to deal with for some.   

Appreciate plenty of others would go, how good is this, pb;  or how good is this, I can't swim, kona here I come but for many, it would be, fark this, it isn't an IM anymore and walk off. 

Everyone is different and in no way taking away from anyone the majority that think the other way and finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×