Sign in to follow this  
beginnergirl

Clothing... or lack of!

.. is it just me or are younger (10-15 year old) girls wearing less and less.

As a young teen I don’t remember wearing mid riff clothing or barely there shorts and skirts.

I also don’t remember being allowed to have dyed hair, fake eyelashes or hair extensions.

I think I’m turning into a prude!.. but grateful I’m not a parent..

My daughter bought a heap of t-shirts from Kmart that she cut and sewed into crop tops.  

I'm more concerned about her and her friends that go out in socks and thongs or slides......

17 hours ago, beginnergirl said:

As a young teen I don’t remember wearing mid riff clothing or barely there shorts and skirts.

I also don’t remember being allowed to have dyed hair, fake eyelashes or hair extensions.

Youre probably not a prude, youre just a different generation. 

Each generation bemoans the next re "their" music, fashion, vocabulary ... 😎

My daughter is 13 & wears cut off Denim shorts & t-shirts.  No mid riff shirts just yet. 

She picks clothes that she likes & is comfortable wearing. She is currently into Active Wear & wears it all the time. 

We have raised a confident, independent determined young lady. If she is happy wearing certain clothes, I don't mind. It's hard as a Dad to adjust but she is growing into a young lady & is finding her own way in life.

The thing I struggle with is the guys who stare at her at the shops. The teenage boys, I just smile & think I was once that age. It's the creepy old men who stare at her at the shops. It gets my blood boiling. Shopping malls seem to be full of fk sleaze bags who stare at her. 

19 hours ago, beginnergirl said:

My thoughts...Let the kids go.   I'm sure our parents were horrified by some of the stuff we used to wear.  There are photos of me out there from the 80's and 90's that I hope will never see the light of day again.

But...if you can tell what colour undies (or lack thereof)  the girls are wearing then I reckon the short shorts might be a bit too short.

• Like 1

In the U.K. The young girls seem to wear leggings that are so thin, tight and see through that they might as well  just have gone out in their underwear.

Mrs FP and we're having a discussion the other day about it and I said that I'd be glad when we return to Oz so that Flipper isn't surrounded by people that dress like prostitutes. I'm not sure when it all changed.

Grumpy old man, bla bla, that's not music, get off my lawn.:lol:

Edited by FatPom

57 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Seems strange as they have so many great roll models these days...

rs_634x1024-170422090733-634.kim-kardashian.cm.42217.jpg

Is she famous, who is it?

I'm just happy that I've had to take my daughter to Taylor Swift twice, and never near Miley or the Beibs.......  She's not even 16 yet but has been dating her boyfriend for nearly 2 years now; what she's wearing is the least issue I'm worried about these days!

I cannot comment - at times I had a pony tail, at another time (thankfully short) I had a mullett........ today I'd be thankful just to have hair.

• Haha 1

I had a mullet, and still have a ponytail, or dare I say, manbun these days....

1 hour ago, lawman said:

I cannot comment - at times I had a pony tail, at another time (thankfully short) I had a mullett........ today I'd be thankful just to have hair.

Yep, yep and yep.  :lol:

My daughter is in the target demographic for this at nearly 16.

She wears short denim shorts as they are the fashion, but I dont think she takes it too far. I would probably go all "old man" on her of she did. 

Im a bit like Bored@ where I think I have raised a good girl who knows what is appropriate and what is not. 

I think if you look through the generations they all have their good and bad fashions, some parents approved approved off, others they probably didn't. 

Im pretty sure if you look back through some wholesome family TV shows like the  brady bunch you will see a lot of short short skirts and hot pants on the girls. It was just the fashion at the time.

If anybody from Brisbane wants to get an idea of how good their daughter actually does dress, drive in to the Valley at 3am (pick-up time when mine was clubbing and had to work the next day). We used to have a go at what she wore until we saw what all the other girls were (or more specifically weren't) wearing. I'm sure there are similar areas in the other cities were you can be suitably shocked or entertained. :)

My kids go to state school..... it's called "free dress day"

On 12/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, beginnergirl said:

Yes. And without wanting to be accused of 'fat-shaming', many of these girls could do with losing a few kgs. Good on you for being confident, but it isn't nice to look at and surely they feel uncomfortable.

Active wear, I hear, is incredibly comfortable to wear.....

Maybe I am just old fashioned. to be honest I don't really care.

My daughter (13 1/2) used to turn up from her mums dressed in stuff that would make hookers blush.  I would make her get changed and wear more appropriate clothing (in my view) when she spent time with me.

She was desperate to get a bikini which I was dead against.  Eventually relented, but on the condition that she wore it in the pool at home and not anywhere else.

Probably one of the reasons why I no longer see her to be honest, as she probably thought I was too strict, and her Mum definately thinks that.

Nonetheless that's my view on things and I won't change it.  Once she is 18 she can do what she wants.

On 03/12/2017 at 1:02 PM, surfer101 said:

Youre probably not a prude, youre just a different generation. 

Each generation bemoans the next re "their" music, fashion, vocabulary ... 😎

yes, but it seems the clothing is getting less and less. What will the next generation be wearing? and in this day and age about feminism what are girls trashing themselves.? don't get me started on why they are either taking nude selfies or letting others take nudes of them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prince said:

yes, but it seems the clothing is getting less and less.

I seem to recall some pretty tiny string bikinis back in the 70's. Some girls may wear less these days, but I think on average a swimsuit covers more now than it did then.

Oh those bikinis hid nothing! More air then bikini!  You just made me flash back on The Goodies episode, String!

Went thru the same with my 3 girls when they were teenagers 20 years ago. They can be sneaky buggers too.

I used to pull them up and make them get changed. Then one day my wife said "you do realise they have other clothes in their bags don't you, and they get changed later." 

That's a dumb Dad for you.

• Haha 1