Sign in to follow this  
FFF1077

Chasing fitness with Ego

OK 

September 2016 I started "training" again after an inconsistent and at times non existing period of training. 

Hit my head really badly in July this year which stuffed up months of consistent work. Resulting recovery has been frustrating with more 2-3 day bits lost here and there due to a foggy head, and with the requirements of my job, I have to take those sensations seriously. If I was still a Boilermaker I wouldn't mind. 

So I have found myself trying to get faster and fitter by pushing more, training harder. But this has effected my consistency too. I'm a solid bloke and intensity fries me badly. 

Has anyone else had to rebuild slowly and had success? I am going back to what got me fit in the first place, basic Endurance and easy training. I have to remove the ego and just get fit. 

Goal event is Busso Half next May. 

Cheers 

45 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

OK 

September 2016 I started "training" again after an inconsistent and at times non existing period of training. 

Hit my head really badly in July this year which stuffed up months of consistent work. Resulting recovery has been frustrating with more 2-3 day bits lost here and there due to a foggy head, and with the requirements of my job, I have to take those sensations seriously. If I was still a Boilermaker I wouldn't mind. 

So I have found myself trying to get faster and fitter by pushing more, training harder. But this has effected my consistency too. I'm a solid bloke and intensity fries me badly. 

Has anyone else had to rebuild slowly and had success? I am going back to what got me fit in the first place, basic Endurance and easy training. I have to remove the ego and just get fit. 

Goal event is Busso Half next May. 

Cheers 

Hey bud. From a running perspective I've totally dialled back the intensity, following the 80/20 style running - see Matt Fitzgeralds's book. All my running was done fast or really fast, which meant injuries and fatigue and no progress. Plus I wasn't able to get any consistency because of fatigue and injuries. No point having a sold 6 weeks of running, then have to take 3 weeks off and repeat... Forget speed, concentrate on consistency, lots of easy running to start with and go from there. You don't need to be doing 400m intervals for 70.3s. 

2 hours ago, zed said:

Hey bud. From a running perspective I've totally dialled back the intensity, following the 80/20 style running - see Matt Fitzgeralds's book. All my running was done fast or really fast, which meant injuries and fatigue and no progress. Plus I wasn't able to get any consistency because of fatigue and injuries. No point having a sold 6 weeks of running, then have to take 3 weeks off and repeat... Forget speed, concentrate on consistency, lots of easy running to start with and go from there. You don't need to be doing 400m intervals for 70.3s. 

Cheers 

I never do intervals. Never. Just no good for me. 

It's the upper aerobic work that smashed me I reckon. Just above steady. 

23 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Cheers 

I never do intervals. Never. Just no good for me. 

It's the upper aerobic work that smashed me I reckon. Just above steady. 

Have you tried running on a grass track?  I find recovery much better.

Also hilly trail running is very good mix of strength and speed.  Grind up the hills then get good fast leg turnover on the downhill.

• Like 1

Cheers. 

It's not just the running though. Any intensity wrecks me. Bloody sucks. 

Maybe I need to get online and buy some patience? 

Like I have just swum 2500m paddles and Bouy. Used to crank out 4km with little fatigue prior to hitting my head. But now.....sitting at home feeling like I should crawl into bed and sleep for a month or two. Really weird. I have had blood tests done and they were all very good. Might be my heart??? 

15 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Could you be suffering from concusion?

It was back in June/July..... How long do concussions last? 

Six broken ribs and smashed collarbone. This is me in 2008 and Fatpom was very similar to this a little while later. You have to realise that the body needs to heal and sometimes it doesn’t ever fix 100%. Mine back to training was walking then run walking. It took 18 months of preserving. I am back to where I was previously. Swim and ride are better, but running is slower (although this is a weight issue).

i did 90/10 training split with the 10% being slightly higher than race pace - no intensity. I did however invest a lot in strength and core training. Invest in this.

FM

• Like 2

15 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

It was back in June/July..... How long do concussions last? 

I dont know, was just a thought. Im thinking a trip to your doctors would be worthwhile. No intensity til you find out whats wrong & as FM says core & strength trainining to keep you motivated. 

• Like 1

Mate I'm in the same boat as you now... A bit older and solid. I reckon you're on the right track taking it easy. For me I only do one hard session in each sport a week if I'm doing all three. Or two if I'm just running (one fartlek and one shortish tempo) no sessions anymore that destroy me because I need to train more than once a week. Don't worry about doing easier stuff. It's all runs on the board and the chances of you needing the top end in busso half are slim to none. 

If you didn’t train from jul to sept you lost a lot of fitness  , you lose a lot after 6 weeks off

if you training like you did back then then you will be fatigued ??

if you are easing into training and you are resting well  and sleeping well and still feeling fatigued then see a medical professional 

• Like 1

I've had to do it loads of times mate. 7 times with my back and once after my crash. You just have to take it steady and be thankful for what you can do 'on this day'. Looking too far forward, or back is a recipie for disaster or disappointment.

Physical recovery is a process, mental recovery and re-alignment is a skill. Just remember, everything is relative,  even your version of intensity needs adjusting.

i remember once, I had a goal of getting myself to the bathroom unaided from the bed. Took 4 weeks.

small steps early can get bigger, big steps early nearly always end up in getting smaller.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

On the concussion.  Yes it could still affect you. I worked with a lady who it has taken a couple of years to fully recover from.  I'm not a medical person so only antidotal.

Also google female pro cyclist concussion, a good female pro suffered concussion early this year and she has written a couple of articles on Cycling News about the long slow recovery. sorry i can't remember her name. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks all. I'll be off to the GP next week for a referral to a Neurologist. Also might try to get a stress test done on the heart. 

To answer Skinee, I was training but not a touch of what I did before the fall. 

Thanks very much to everyone. Food for thought. 

Bloody tough to not be able to "do what I used to do".....not that long ago.... 

Cheers 

You seem to be going okay you me as an observer... especially given i think you mention you're up very early on occasion and not sleeping...? I'd be making sure this is covered as a first point of call

• Like 1