Sign in to follow this  
KieranR

How do I approach my manager

Hey mate,

A large part of my work is developing and maintaining schedules in P6. - Be-careful what you wish for :lol:!

An invaluable resource that I have found is a book by a guy called Paul Harris called "Planning & Control Using Oracle Primavera P6" It is a work through resource that takes you from Opening the Software through to the basic elements of developing and maintaining a fully resourced schedule. It doesn't tell you how to schedule but will give you an insight into the many nuances of the software, of which there are many! I think you can pick it up for around $110-120 but you do need access to a copy of the software. (I may have a need to have an off-site back up of my installation files :whistling:)

https://www.eh.com.au/P6V16PPM.html this is the link to the PPM version which I use, but there is also an EPPM version. I assume Mono's would be likely to have the EPPM.

To echo Rory's comments above, you'll want a thick skin and be prepared to rework, rework, rework. A plan rarely survives contact with the enemy, even with their input.

Good luck with it.

• Like 1

Two weeks ago on the day I went on leave I saw an advert for planner in Karratha as a residential M-F gig on the gas plant, so I emailed HR as it’s with my company anyway.... I explained that this is perfect and that I would be so very keen, but I explained the background and what I’m aiming to achieve, well HR called me back immediately and said this is good because it’s hard to find a planner in Karratha, he then said he would chat to the manager who is recruiting and get back to me

he called the next day as we were travelling down to Busso and said the manager is keen to pursue it with me as they had decided this would be a junior type role (perfect as I’m just starting out and looking for an opportunity to get in), HR then advised they would seek a release from my current project which should be a no brainer as we have lost the contract anyway.

These things take time so I let it chill over the past two weeks but today I rang HR and it’s still in the works but looking good he said.  It’s the perfect opportunity as they want local Mon to Fri, I’m already here and employed by them and already on the gas plant.  

Im so hopeful this will pan out as I want, it will secure our future here in the pilbara for another 3 to 4 years which is what we want.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

I’m going to go and introduce myself to the manager on Thursday when I get back to work and have a one on one chat.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Remember to have three solid reasons why it would make sense for them (don't drop them immediately) and also the counters to their challenges as to why it may not!

It makes sense to me, from what you've explained. Make it make sense to them.... 

So some news on the development front - I got given my letter last week to say i'm finishing up on this contract on the 18th march, as are the rest of my colleagues.  So this chapter is closing very soon.  Recruitment came up and spoke to each of us and we all left feeling hopeful that there is more work around, going by what they gave us and told us, but since then nothing.

Until yesterday.  I received a call from recruitment who had some good news for me.......I applied for a local planner role back in November with my company to which I was the only candidate they were putting forward, however the client (Rio Tinto) has put it on hold.  Whilst not the planner role as its still on hold, they are going to put me into a "work pack developer role" which has an element of planning in it, so i can develop my skills in that arena before moving into planning full time.

I was kind of thinking that recruitment had nothing going but turns out they were working hard in the back ground to make things happen and it has, so im very grateful for that.  It's a casual type role but is full time hours on a 9 day fortnight, which is perfect.  the only thing is we have to move out of our woodside supplied house which sucks, but its the opportunity I've been looking for to get my foot in the door for a new career path.

Just waiting to hear back on a start date from HR.

Thanks for everyone's support / advice especially Rimmer.  mate you've been a great Mentor.  Thanks

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Even better news just now.  Just got a call from recruitment and They are actually going to be putting me in as a Junior Planner which is precisely the role i have wanted and been working towards, and only on $6 an hour less than my current wage as a lead.  I finish here on Monday and they have me down to start  on the 25th, which is maybe a bit sooner than i had hoped but it will give me a week of fishing to do before i start.  9 day fortnight too so thats great getting a long weekend every two weeks.

And because its not a like for like transition from here to there they are paying out my redundancy which i got the figures for today and was very pleasantly surprised.  so thats a nice bonus to be getting and will still be employed by them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Even better news just now.  Just got a call from recruitment and They are actually going to be putting me in as a Junior Planner which is precisely the role i have wanted and been working towards, and only on $6 an hour less than my current wage as a lead.  I finish here on Monday and they have me down to start  on the 25th, which is maybe a bit sooner than i had hoped but it will give me a week of fishing to do before i start.  9 day fortnight too so thats great getting a long weekend every two weeks.

And because its not a like for like transition from here to there they are paying out my redundancy which i got the figures for today and was very pleasantly surprised.  so thats a nice bonus to be getting and will still be employed by them.

excellent. gee HR are brilliant aren't they.

• Haha 1

Great news Kieran, don't want to rain on your parade but you might want to get some independent advice if you get the redundancy with a tax free component.  If you are being taken on with the same company, it probably won't qualify for the tax free status, so get some advice if it is paid out that way before you spend all of it.

And when I say independent advice, do not mention this to the company or anyone attached with it - you don't want them to take if off the table.  Let them pay it, check if any is tax free, get advice and go from there

8 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Great news Kieran, don't want to rain on your parade but you might want to get some independent advice if you get the redundancy with a tax free component.  If you are being taken on with the same company, it probably won't qualify for the tax free status, so get some advice if it is paid out that way before you spend all of it.

And when I say independent advice, do not mention this to the company or anyone attached with it - you don't want them to take if off the table.  Let them pay it, check if any is tax free, get advice and go from there

Thanks for that info, I will certainly do that for sure. The document does state it’s tax free, I’ve never had a redundancy before, I’ve only received end of contract bonuses which have been taxed in the past.  I have an honest accountant so I’ll touch base with him in the morning.  I’m going from full time to casual so not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Edited by KieranR

We've been through this a lot in my company. For the past 25 years in fact. I agree you should get independent advice, but I think if you are laid off, and the new job you get is totally different to the one you had, and you are treated as a new starter, then it should be OK.

I've seen cases where people have taken triple-figure pay-outs on a Friday, and been at the same desk on the Monday, just in a different role.

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We've been through this a lot in my company. For the past 25 years in fact. I agree you should get independent advice, but I think if you are laid off, and the new job you get is totally different to the one you had, and you are treated as a new starter, then it should be OK.

I've seen cases where people have taken triple-figure pay-outs on a Friday, and been at the same desk on the Monday, just in a different role.

I’ll be checking, but it’s a totally new role, different site, have to do a full pre employment medical etc.  but I’ll be checking.  I’ve had my fair share of shit from the ATO in the past, I don’t want anymore

Ex, that is probably more the case where the company makes the choice to outsource a function, the person is redundant on Friday and starts with the new company on Monday, doing the same work.

If you are being paid by the same ABN / company / related company the ATO usually takes a dim view of allowing any tax free payments, which is why you get bona-fide redundancies and just redundancies.  HR people usually have bugger all tax or finance understanding and their payroll team might not be in this space either (Am I right Prince?).  Usually if there was no foreseeable chance of the employment relationship being reestablished in the future, it is fine, but a 1 week period is never going to pass this test.

I may be wrong and hope for Kieran's sake I am, but it's worth checking rather than getting a big shock in July / August / whenever. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

If you are being paid by the same ABN / company / related company the ATO usually takes a dim view of allowing any tax free payments, which is why you get bona-fide redundancies and just redundancies.  HR people usually have bugger all tax or finance understanding and their payroll team might not be in this space either (Am I right Prince?).  Usually if there was no foreseeable chance of the employment relationship being reestablished in the future, it is fine, but a 1 week period is never going to pass this test.

I may be wrong and hope for Kieran's sake I am, but it's worth checking rather than getting a big shock in July / August / whenever. 

I have a payroll background but admit not so much an expert in the the rules of rehiring post redundancy as never done it. once their gone, I usually have a party and don't rehire. The tax office may help you, in letting you know the legalities.  There is a rule regarding continuity of your Long service, if you restart with the same company, in, I think  within 6mths or a year, so you should check that as well. 

Edited by Prince

20 minutes ago, Prince said:

I have a payroll background but admit not so much an expert in the the rules of rehiring post redundancy as never done it. once their gone, I usually have a party and don't rehire. The tax office may help you, in letting you know the legalities.  There is a rule regarding continuity of your Long service, if you restart with the same company, in, I think  within 6mths or a year, so you should check that as well. 

Would you check before or after your 3 month probation?

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What probation, he said casual so there is no probation.  The LSL is another interesting thing to consider as well though - if it gets paid out or not is another consideration.  If not long enough to get paid out than it should continue to accrue but depends on the state's legislation.

Sorry to hijack Kieran, you should be celebrating but seemed to have opened a pandora's box of considerations

That’s ok this is good to know, I didn’t know so at least I do now know to check before the funds go on the mortgage.  The form I received shows my annual leave being paid out and taxed.  There is nothing on the document showing LSL to be paid out, then the bottom section shows the redundancy type (it’s an alphabetical letter) and states tax free.

We have in our business three types of employment that I’ve seen, which is casual, fixed term and permanent full time.  I was told today that after three months and everyone is happy I will have the option of going back to PFT, but I’m happy being a casual with everything else going on in my life at the moment. 

32 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I wouldn't check until later.    They have to make sure it's happens. Just check your current accrual before the redundancy and keep note of it.     

16 minutes ago, KieranR said:

That’s ok this is good to know, I didn’t know so at least I do now know to check before the funds go on the mortgage.  The form I received shows my annual leave being paid out and taxed.  There is nothing on the document showing LSL to be paid out, then the bottom section shows the redundancy type (it’s an alphabetical letter) and states tax free.

We have in our business three types of employment that I’ve seen, which is casual, fixed term and permanent full time.  I was told today that after three months and everyone is happy I will have the option of going back to PFT, but I’m happy being a casual with everything else going on in my life at the moment. 

long service is not payable in Qld if not at the ten years, (with a few exceptions, it can be paid earlier), Victoria which just changed the legislation last year, is 7. not sure about some other States though. 

Its not about the payout, but you shouldn't lose what you have accrued. 

Yes, no probations for a casual. Less job security though but you can ask for PPT after 12 months. 

Edited by Prince

I’m totally cool with casual.  The work is ongoing long term for Rio Tinto, if I want to go back to PFT later I’ll take it up with them.  As a business the company have a lot of work on the books and coming up so I’m very confident there is a place for me long term in the business as long as I want it and keep performing to my highest ability.

• Like 1