monkie

Long course tri-shorts / tri-suit

In the continuation of many of my run up to full distance posts to come (you will be fed up with the questions by the time March rolls around) I need some tri-short / suit advice.

The advice on cycling shorts was great, my Ground Effect ones are amazing so I'm hoping for the same here.

I currently wear these: http://www.wiggle.com.au/skins-mens-compression-tri-shorts and they're great and have been fine for up to 70.3 but I think they lack the padding for going longer (I was kind of fed up with my saddle by the time we got to the end of 90km on the bike in them) so does anyone have any suggestions for going longer?

Cheers,

Monkie

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

(you will be fed up with the questions by the time March rolls around)

It's OKJ, we went through this with Cranky for 18 months :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, pieman said:

full change in T1 to your bibs? 

Tempting. How practical is this in reality? 

4 minutes ago, monkie said:

Tempting. How practical is this in reality? 

Although transition time is free time it is still very practical and if you dont panic can change quickly. Also,  I recall you are doing NZ where a change of outfit between swim and bike (and run) may be a good option if weather gods are not smiling... (although make toilet stops more difficult)

In saying that, I used Orca 226 tri shorts and singlet and never had an issue with discomfort

You wouldn't be the first, won't be the last!

If you can get hold of DeSoto trishorts I have found them to be sensational for long TT rides

Fusion multisport tri shorts a close second

• Like 1

I wear two pairs of tri knicks. Comfy pair over club kit. Both on under the wet suit. Strip one pair off in T2 for the run in club kit.

Plenty of protection for the Crown Jewels on the ride and no fat chamois to contend with on the run.

I've been using a Fusion tri-suit for the past few years and have been very happy with it after using DeSoto before that, the DeSoto was also good. The Fusion pad looked thin compared to the DeSoto and I was worried about it being uncomfortable over 180km's but I've had no issues, also no chafing problems. John's customer service is also top notch, great to deal with.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

If you can get hold of DeSoto trishorts I have found them to be sensational for long TT rides

Fusion multisport tri shorts a close second

Fastgear have them in and have some clearance on too... do you know which model you've tried?

3 hours ago, monkie said:

(I was kind of fed up with my saddle by the time we got to the end of 90km on the bike in them) so does anyone have any suggestions for going longer?

Maybe it's your saddle that you should be looking at.

Tri knicks all the way for me. Zoot, Desoto, others all have worked me over the years.

I have been a scody man for years but about to get into some wyn republic kit. Figure McKenzie would make sure its quality.

Like Paul said. I regularly ride Ironman in Tri nicks and even do some of my looooong training rides in them too.

And back in the day everyone wore sluggo's during the ironman bike leg.

4 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

And back in the day everyone wore sluggo's during the ironman bike leg.

And that was at Forster.

When Dirk Ashmoneit was asked about the bike course following his win, he replied in his characteristically deadpan German accent, "I don't think I can father children anymore."

As far as I have heard Ironman events (full distance) offer a change tent. You could get into a pair of knicks there. So no bare bums in transition!

3 minutes ago, MissJess said:

As far as I have heard Ironman events (full distance) offer a change tent. You could get into a pair of knicks there. So no bare bums in transition!

Yep there is a tent but it's more a question of how rammed that is etc. I'm going to trial cycle shorts over the top of tri shorts / tight running shorts and see how that goes on a training ride.

Lots of different kit out there. I've seen some new brands pop up that look dodgy as. Thinking of of one in particular. The market will weed them out soon. 

De Soto all the way - they have a suit available now that has a fly to pee through if you need it. Comfortable, lightweight and very strong. 

7 hours ago, monkie said:

Fastgear have them in and have some clearance on too... do you know which model you've tried?

I've had a couple different models but they have all been good. And they last for ages

I have the 2XU Tri Vent (has the full waiscoat zipper) and been pleased with it.  Not the lightest but very confy, 'maybe' a bit warm for Oz conditions but I really like it.

13 hours ago, monkie said:

Yep there is a tent but it's more a question of how rammed that is etc. I'm going to trial cycle shorts over the top of tri shorts / tight running shorts and see how that goes on a training ride.

Depending how slow you swim will depend how many people are there... in NZ I swam 1.06 and was plenty of space in change tent. Had 3 vollies helping do whatever I needed so if you want to do a full change it is no issue.. 

13 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Lots of different kit out there. I've seen some new brands pop up that look dodgy as. Thinking of of one in particular. The market will weed them out soon. 

Wyn Republic? maybe you need to have a coffee chat and sort this out... :D

12 minutes ago, pieman said:

Wyn Republic? maybe you need to have a coffee chat and sort this out... :D

Ive had one mate look at it in kona who said their kits were pretty good quality, Im interested in other peoples opinions though as I am about to get into it.