Bored@work

beep Test - What level can you do?

3 minutes ago, Merv said:

reckon being a particular build is a huge advantage for this

Not sure. Some of the fitter rugby forwards go OK in this test, 6'4/110kg.

Use to do this for Umpiring pre season x2.  Pass mark was 12.  

Was also required to do this for Cricket, state team pre season testing.  

19.8 was my best.  There is a skill and ability to be able to change direction quickly.  The key is to get low at each turn and take short steps in and out. Also alternate which way you turn so not always doing initial acceleration off same leg every time.  

As triathletes and LD Runners deceleration is what kills you and smashes you up

7 minutes ago, nealo said:

Ding Ding Ding, we have a world record holder with Fitness Buddy

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/shuttle-run.htm

A lot of decent athletes have completed the 20 level test, there is no world record. A half decent 5km runner (18min) could probably complete it. It's 4.3km at an average of 4.37 pace. 

• Like 1

interesting topic for discussion - there is a few websites out there that break down the pyramid of it from a distance perspective.

here is one: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm

I have found netball courts the best to do it on and your turn lines are 2 of the thirds - biggest differentiator is how accurate your 20 metre measurement is -I have  also used the speed column to replicate it on a treadmill for something different as well.

As above I think all of our emergency services have a requirement of at least 8 as an entry requirement.

Most AFL clubs would have someone who can "finish" the tape - its interesting to note that the total distance of it us under 5km though.

Interesting that a lot of the sports science early adaptors are using the yoyo test mentioned before along side a 2 or 3km TT as a measure of fitness as opposed to the old school beep - how good is innovation!? Not to many guys running around ovals carrying bricks anymore trying to get that strength, endurance and mental toughness 3 in 1 combo either!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nealo said:

Ding Ding Ding, we have a world record holder with Fitness Buddy

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/shuttle-run.htm

Geez i seen a dozen get over 20 and that is just in Tasmania.  Monas got 22 which was end of tape. Craig Bradley over 20.  This world record crap is bullshit.  

That enough of biting back with response.  I will go back in my hole.  

Edited by Fitness Buddy

1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

That enough of biting back with response.  I will go back in my hole. 

No offence meant.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chappy019 said:

interesting topic for discussion - there is a few websites out there that break down the pyramid of it from a distance perspective.

here is one: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/beep-table.htm

I have found netball courts the best to do it on and your turn lines are 2 of the thirds - biggest differentiator is how accurate your 20 metre measurement is -I have  also used the speed column to replicate it on a treadmill for something different as well.

As above I think all of our emergency services have a requirement of at least 8 as an entry requirement.

Most AFL clubs would have someone who can "finish" the tape - its interesting to note that the total distance of it us under 5km though.

Interesting that a lot of the sports science early adaptors are using the yoyo test mentioned before along side a 2 or 3km TT as a measure of fitness as opposed to the old school beep - how good is innovation!? Not to many guys running around ovals carrying bricks anymore trying to get that strength, endurance and mental toughness 3 in 1 combo either!!

From what I have read, heard and seen in pro field sport teams, they use the YoYo or Beep Level 2, which is basically second half of the speed levels.  It is quick, over in less than 10 minutes to measure adaptation to training on a periodic basis during preseason e.g. monthly

YoYo Intermittent gives a 5 or 10 second recovery after each up and back, designed for soccer and used in intermittent/repeat effort football codes mainly.

The 2-3km TT is to establish their max aerobic running velocity, they then use this speed in m/s to set distances for their aerobic running intervals they do during field conditioning drills, ie MAS ladders or grid runs

• Like 1

I've always wanted to do one.  I've never done one.  Won't ever do one.  Changing direction would kill me now (so would the running)!

32 minutes ago, goughy said:

I've always wanted to do one.  I've never done one.  Won't ever do one.  Changing direction would kill me now (so would the running)!

Yep, my hips are still hurting today. I would like to do it again in a few weeks & see if I can improve on it. 

10 hours ago, Parkside said:

From what I have read, heard and seen in pro field sport teams, they use the YoYo or Beep Level 2, which is basically second half of the speed levels.  It is quick, over in less than 10 minutes to measure adaptation to training on a periodic basis during preseason e.g. monthly

YoYo Intermittent gives a 5 or 10 second recovery after each up and back, designed for soccer and used in intermittent/repeat effort football codes mainly.

The 2-3km TT is to establish their max aerobic running velocity, they then use this speed in m/s to set distances for their aerobic running intervals they do during field conditioning drills, ie MAS ladders or grid runs

I would have expected yoyo to apply a different sort of test...

IT'S ON TODAY!!!!! My daughter has her beep test at school today. The trash talk has been in over drive all week. 

Mum had to seperate us this morning. I don't trust the little turd & will be ringing the teacher to get an offical result, before I concede defeat. 

from a group environment its an interesting observation from a coach's perspective.

you used to see some people frequently "accidently" turn in front of the line - there's some people who miss one beep and then push up and hang tough for another level, there was people who had to be told "sorry you have now missed 2 in a row you are out" and then there were the people who were coasting and just stopped because they couldn't be bothered anymore.

Interesting snapshot into different people's psychology.

my 2 cents is that it's relevance of it from a general training tool is that provided you can control and reproduce the same environment to do the testing regularly then it provides relativity of fitness improvements.

As a specific triathlon related training tool - probably not overly effective unless some crazy creates a tri where the course is so cramped that its a 40 metre out and back shuttle to get to the total run distance!!

I’ve never done one but lived on line sprints for 30 years at basketball training. I might try one after Christmas. 

FM

it is piss easy to set up,  download the app and mark 2 lines 20 m apart. 

do it in the office when the bosses aren't around

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Boom!!!!! The old man still has it. Little Miss 13 got to level 8.1. 

Let the trash talking begin. 

There is nothing like still beating your kids in a physical competition. I am still the fastest 5km & 1/2 mathaton runner but anything on a bike and i'm third

Rory, it's a blast. I was helping junior do some of these beep tests about 2 years  ago as part of his new career. We got him up to 9.5, past the required standard. 

I'd been up to 12 as recent as 2012 when training new trainees who were required to get to 8.5 or better. Reckon I'd only get to 9 or 10 now.  One of the female trainees who was a marathon runner and 26 years old, got to 19 before the training staff got bored and called it quits. 

Anyone who has played basketball, netball or hockey should get to 10 easily with a bit of training. 

In the big scheme of things, as a fitness test, the Beep test means sweet F&@k all. I honestly don't know why the military, police and some firebrirgades buy into it. There's much better ways to assess a persons fitness and agility.

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

In the big scheme of things, as a fitness test, the Beep test means sweet F&@k all. I honestly don't know why the military, police and some firebrirgades buy into it. There's much better ways to assess a persons fitness and agility.

As an initial test of fitness the beep test has minimal value. As an ongoing indicator of fitness it is good as it allows you to measure your fitness against the rest of the group.

The attraction of the beep test is that it is really easy to set up with minimal equipment and can be done anywhere.

It is fun and competitive. As people drop out they cheer people on. Most importantly there  is bragging rights until the next test.

8 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Boom!!!!! The old man still has it. Little Miss 13 got to level 8.1. 

Let the trash talking begin. 

I blame social media  (or Wiggle :lol:)

It has very good value as a fitness test as the beep test result is well correlated with VO2max. It is an easy to perform, inexpensive test where you can test 20 people at the same time. You don't need a treadmill or cycle ergo, ECG and metabolic cart/gas analysis. Valid, reliable, accurate. Ticks all the boxes. 

Round two of the Dad v Daughter beep test.

Little Miss 13 got 8.7, The old man got a 9 - still got it on her!!!

Rematch in another month's time.

43 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Round two of the Dad v Daughter beep test.

Little Miss 13 got 8.7, The old man got a 9 - still got it on her!!!

Rematch in another month's time.

I've found since I've been feeding Flipper on half rations, I've started winning the race to the garden gate.

Get on it. :lol:👍

• Haha 2