Bored@work

beep Test - What level can you do?

Did the beep test today for something different.  Got to level 8.9.  What can others do.  

I actually enjoyed doing it for something different. Running at pace in the heat hurt. 

I'm 

Did a few years ago during pre-season rugby and was 12.7, I'm guessing higher now. 

• Like 1

I've used the YoYo intermittent test over the last few years while playing soccer as a preseason monthly test.

Now trying some conditioning using Max Aerobic Speed and the beep test gives better numbers to base that off. 

Use it as a short, practical test of max aerobic capacity, cheap, can be used for a group all at the same time and correlates pretty well with Vo2max, Vo2max run velocity.

For a triathlete I reckon better using a submax running test a la the MAF test. pick a submax HR, run 5km at this HR and time it once a month.

I had to do it for work.  We had to get 5 and I got 10 with no practice other than a little bit of swimming.  The best guy in my dept got 14.  The average for all employees (500?) was 8.6.

I heard the fire brigade are close to 10 for their entry requirements.

Edited by BC_J400

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Why not? 

Well I dont know what a beep test is 🤓

Edit -  I checked online & now I get it 😊

Edited by surfer101
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, surfer101 said:

Well I dont know what a beep test is 🤓

Edit -  I checked online & now I get it 😊

Sorry thought everyone knew.  

I was flat as tack after working 14hr days for 9days straight & then flying home from Perth late last night.  It was like having jet lag this morning but I still enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

Like the basketball thing out of that movie with whatshisname.

A prison island, presidents plane crash, "snake" with an eye patch and tight leather pants. You know the one. 

• Confused 1

Dammm I pulled up sore from it. Ended up cramping like a dog in the middle of the night.  No surprises considering I haven't done much for the last two months. 

Is there two different tests with different intervals or something? Is there an accepted standard for the interval time, number of intervals and distance you have to run? I swear there is a huge range of results I see that couldn't just be explained by a couch potato "having a big engine". 

Ironnerd is fit & got a 12.XX 

Bored@work is unfair & got 8.9

I was also doing it against a bunch of kids half my age. What surprised me was the number of 18/19 year olds that dropped out at level 7. I was fine about 10min after finishing & they were still a miss on the ground.

I have done it a number of times. Can't remember what level.

One time we did an alternating run, burpee sequence

Of note I am a slow sprinter so dropped out at an acceptable level, but in a 5km run I was one of the faster people. Just different engine, and reaction  requirements

14 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Did the beep test today for something different.  Got to level 8.9.  What can others do.  

I actually enjoyed doing it for something different. Running at pace in the heat hurt. 

I'm 

You're better than that. You just didn't want it bad enough.

I'm usually +/- a couple of levels either side of 11

47 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

I have done it a number of times. Can't remember what level.

One time we did an alternating run, burpee sequence

Of note I am a slow sprinter so dropped out at an acceptable level, but in a 5km run I was one of the faster people. Just different engine, and reaction  requirements

Yeah we did alternating 5km TT and beep tests each fortnight with workmates. I was much better at 5km TT than beep test as I couldnt start/stop quickly. We also realised that your turn techniques were crucial as the pace got hotter. 

We had to do it for my team in St John Ambulance back in the UK. I used to do it with all the newbies and would regularly leave all the 18 and 19 years olds gasping and used to give up around 12.5. This was before I started triathlons so I imagine I would be higher now. Hopefully...

48 minutes ago, nealo said:

You're better than that. You just didn't want it bad enough.

I'm usually +/- a couple of levels either side of 11

Nope. That's it.  I enjoyed myself & managed to beat a couple of the young cocky guys. I'm almost 40 now & know my place.

The beep test is as much a test of agility and change of direction as it is about fitness and your ability as a runner. Not very specific for straight-line sports...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CEM said:

The beep test is as much a test of agility and change of direction as it is about fitness and your ability as a runner. Not very specific for straight-line sports...

Totally agree. I dont think I'd go very well as I'm useless and speed off the mark.