Sign in to follow this  
Alex Simmons

The pool thread

Starting to think about mine too. I've got a constant low salt warning, even though levels are fine. I also have another issue that has cropped up in the last 6 months. If I have it on auto, it turns itself off with a "No Flow" warning after a few minutes. It does this after the initial high flow start-up, when it settles into normal low speed. Some reports say it is a safety trigger that detects hydrogen bubbles in the cell, and these build up as the flow decreases, but I'm yet to see any.

I may have to resort to spending & getting an expert to look at it. :(

On 12/4/2017 at 11:19 AM, Alex Simmons said:

On another pool cleaning matter - I was interested in surface skimmer options as I do get plenty of leaves and the manual skimmer is a bit tedious. Brought into focus today as my leg is playing up again and walking/standing sucks dogs' balls.

I found a few options, main ones I can see are:

• Floating Pool Cleaners, that attach to hose and skimmer basket and move around the pool. Seem to be 2 types - one that need to be attached to a floor cleaner and one that don't need that.
  • Venturi effect units that attach to the pump outlet and are statically positioned
  • Independent Robots

Of those above, I think this one probably suits my set up:

https://www.dragonfly.biz/dragonfly-floating-pool-cleaner/

Anyone have one of these or something similar?

I ended up getting one of these dragonfly skimmers. It's been hooked up for a couple of days now and it really works quite well. When the unit is on it seems to drag in all the surface stuff and the water looks great!

Bit of wind today so some stuff is collecting on the pool while the filter is off - but once it comes back on this arvo it won't take long to clear it all up.

On 1/11/2018 at 9:22 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Starting to think about mine too. I've got a constant low salt warning, even though levels are fine. I also have another issue that has cropped up in the last 6 months. If I have it on auto, it turns itself off with a "No Flow" warning after a few minutes. It does this after the initial high flow start-up, when it settles into normal low speed. Some reports say it is a safety trigger that detects hydrogen bubbles in the cell, and these build up as the flow decreases, but I'm yet to see any.

I may have to resort to spending & getting an expert to look at it. :(

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

15 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet.

Did that a couple days ago. Salt Cell is cactus, but I thought that. The other issue was a dry joint on a resistor that caused the fan to go intermittent. That caused the transformer to start burning out, which was what was causing the earth-leakage to throw back in the meter box. Just over $600, which when you look at the cost of a new unit is pretty good.

My main issue was constant days over 30 degrees, with a lot of rain previously, and we are without a system till next Monday. I managed to rig up a U-piece to go where the cell was, gave a top up dose of chlorine, and have run the filter for 6 hours a day manually from a powerpoint. Seems to be surviving. I'll top up some more chlorine tonight & again on the weekend.

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

DiI managed to rig up a U-piece to go where the cell was, gave a top up dose of chlorine, and have run the filter for 6 hours a day manually from a powerpoint. Seems to be surviving. I'll top up some more chlorine tonight & again on the weekend.

Sounds like a nice bit of MacGyvering.

Old school added chlorine and keeping pH at right level will keep water in good shape. That's pretty much how I'm keeping mine at the moment until I get a better handle on costs involved with cell replacement.