Sign in to follow this  
Alex Simmons

The pool thread

How does the zodiac go with bigger debris on the bottom of the pool? I've got some palms and other plants around the pool that love to drop massive leaves into the pool, does the zodiac clean them up or do they blocked the system up

I get a few thin palm leaves that are 20-40cm long - palm all round the pool, including one right next to it. It seems to collect them OK but hard to know if it would work for you. If there were a lot I'd expect it to struggle as there is only so much room in the filter basket and large leaves may not be as readily sucked up. It might depend on how long the leaf was in the water as to how easily it can pick it up. It's a pretty powerful sucker though.

I have a lot of all sorts of leaves that blow onto the pool. On my first use of it, there was quite a lot of leaves on the floor - it got most of them in the first run but the filter basket was clearly full and not collecting any more. Emptied it and dropped it in for second sweep and ever since I've never had to do two sweeps. By comparison I reckon I'd have needed to empty the skimmer basket several times if doing old school vacuuming.

I'm looking at the various plants and trees that surround our pool - that's another project as we gradually overhaul our gardens. The palm set right next to the pool drops stack of tiny flower petals or something similar from the fruit fronds which does drive me nuts - I'll need to do some chopping to remove the offending fronds.

On 11/28/2017 at 7:42 PM, Alex Simmons said:

It's a Zodiac CX20.

I've no idea if it's a good model or not but it's been doing the job quite well for a year. I also like the simplicity of removing and replacing the basket that collects all the debris. It does the floor and the walls, or just the floor if you prefer. My pool has some stepped areas and it seems to climb up to those OK.

I just checked - paid $801 for it.

I was never keen on those suction units that plug into the filter box like a vacuum hose. With the robot it runs independently of the filter box - you can drop it in the pool, turn it on and leave it to do its thing - it turns itself off. Pull it out later on when you have a few minutes. 

Thanks for that Alex, I didnt know there were cleaners that were separate from the pool suction/ skimmer. 

Might have to look into one of those for christmas should fix my problems. 

I dont get a lot of debris in the pool, even less now the tornado cleaned up a lot of the older trees, mainly sandy dust and grit when its windy (which is always :lol: ) 

Thanks Alex,

Sounds similar to our place, those seed/flowers from the palms drive me crazy. 

I need to empty the skimmer 2-3 times every time I vacuum, (maybe I should do it more regularly) sounds like a zodiac will save me the hassle, More likely to use it then vacuum

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Thanks for that Alex, I didnt know there were cleaners that were separate from the pool suction/ skimmer. 

Might have to look into one of those for christmas should fix my problems. 

I dont get a lot of debris in the pool, even less now the tornado cleaned up a lot of the older trees, mainly sandy dust and grit when its windy (which is always :lol: ) 

Yes, they are separate units, mine runs off main power - there is a long power cord that runs to the robot from a control box which in turn is plugged into mains power.

It's excellent. Since getting it (a year now) I've used the vacuum just once and I'll doubt I'll need it much now I'm better at managing the water quality.

There are a number of different brands and various features. This was one of the cheaper options I could find and it really seems to do a great job. Drop it in, let it sink and turn it on at the control box. It'll do the floors an walls right past the waterline. Pop out a couple of hours later to pull it up, empty the basket, maybe a quick hose off and put away until next time. That's it.

• Like 1

I should add, that if you have algae on the pool floor, then these robots will simply spread the algae through the water as the organisims are smaller than the filter material in the robot. The water will cloud up. 

They're designed for collecting quite fine particles to larger items (leaves etc) but not micro organisms. That's what the chlorine is for.

If pool algae is bad, then a vacuum to waste is probably best bet.

Me too, and it just didn't feel right either. My pool's just over 11m, and I'd rather swim lengths, turn and not push off, than swim in the harness.

I felt that my position was all wrong with the harness and it is uber boring. An endless pool would be great to try.

I was away for a few days and when i got back there was a bit of leaf litter on the pool floor, so I popped the robot in last night. It collected it all - here's a pic of the robot's filter basket after a run.

Photo 4-12-17, 5 41 39 am.jpg

We've had some fairly wild weather over the last 72 hours, copping about 80mm all up, albeit much less that the 150/200mm predicted.

Even so, I had to dump about 5,000l out of the pool Saturday morning as it was literally overflowing, and another 1,000l or so yesterday.

Hey Alex are you using the 100 or 200 micron filter?  I assume you run the filter at the same time the cleaner is running around stirring the water and dust up? Do you think it is worth while with the 100 micron? the CX20 seem like a good deal compared to the other brands

44 minutes ago, Limited said:

Hey Alex are you using the 100 or 200 micron filter?  I assume you run the filter at the same time the cleaner is running around stirring the water and dust up? Do you think it is worth while with the 100 micron? the CX20 seem like a good deal compared to the other brands

Don't know and didn't know I had a choice! There is nothing in the manual specifications that tells me what the filter sieve size is nor that there is an option. So I looked up a bit more about it and it looks like the standard filter is 200 micron so I assume that's the one I have. Thanks for the leading question :)

Replacements are $89 and there are 200 and 100 micron options same price. There's no indication after a year of use that any parts need replacement.

I commented earlier that when there is a bit of algae growth the robot tend to cloud the water and I figure the chemicals are needed to deal with micro organisms. When the pool chemistry is right then I don't get any clouding of the water with the robot. Nevertheless the finer filter sounds like it might be useful to have for occasional use.

I just put the robot on when I think it needs it. Often that overlaps the times the filter is on but it's not a strategy I specifically follow.

• Thanks 1

On another pool cleaning matter - I was interested in surface skimmer options as I do get plenty of leaves and the manual skimmer is a bit tedious. Brought into focus today as my leg is playing up again and walking/standing sucks dogs' balls.

I found a few options, main ones I can see are:

• Floating Pool Cleaners, that attach to hose and skimmer basket and move around the pool. Seem to be 2 types - one that need to be attached to a floor cleaner and one that don't need that.
  • Venturi effect units that attach to the pump outlet and are statically positioned
  • Independent Robots

Of those above, I think this one probably suits my set up:

https://www.dragonfly.biz/dragonfly-floating-pool-cleaner/

Anyone have one of these or something similar?

I went fibreglass - my rationale was they arecheaper (not all that much these days) and the QA is done prior to shipping and installation.

However, the (faster) speed of installation could be a problem - is it aligned correctly to your fenceline etc.  Is it perfectly level and will it stay that way?  I have a few issues in this regard, and if I knew what I knew now I would be onsite (I was OS when delivered) when it is installed with a spirit level and some serious attitude.

Time again? - probably concrete  but no experience of any downsides.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Rocket Salad said:

Concrete or fiberglass?

Why?

I looked at both. In the end went with the fiberglass shell option as it was an "end to end" install.

Concrete quotes were for the concrete pool only, and would have needed to subbie plumbing, sparkie, fencing, etc etc and would have had to project manage the job myself. They weren't interested in doing the job from start to finish (I'd say they simply had too much on at the time). Was all too hard, so went with the simple option.

Another point of difference (although minor) is that a fiberglass shell can have in-floor cleaning whilst concrete can't.

Remember the correct pool size can be determined by the famous bicycle = n+1 formula, but for the size you should have bought where n is the size you did buy....

Looks awesome RS. Would be interested to see what you end up with.

FWIW, I know people who have had various water features included in the pool and who have ended up having them turned off because they can't stand the constant noise of the water. 

Can't imagine getting to that personally, but I guess I've not got it in my backyard 24/7.  I think if it was situated far enough away from the house it wouldn't be too much of an issue but in tight backyards it might be.

Cheers

Think I need to replace the cell in my auto-chlorinator. Perhaps the whole auto chlorination unit, hard to say. I constantly get low salt warning when the salt level is fine and I still need to keep topping up chlorine levels manually a little too often for my liking. I'm pretty sure the water exiting the clorinator cell should be more turbid than it is.

I have given it an acid bath a couple of times to clean off residue build up but it just doesn't seem to be doing the job. It's probably just an aged unit at end of life.

I replaced mine about 18 months ago, was having similar issues to you, I ended up replacing the "brain" and cell, I just bought the same unit so I didn't need to the replace the casing for the cell