BogFrog

Wheelset recommendations

Mr BogFrog has decided not to buy a new buy, but to replace all the parts on the existing roadie and has started the process and bought a whole new groupset.  He has been using crappy training wheels on the bike for the last while so I thought that I would buy him some decent wheels for Christmas.  Yes I know, I'm a bloody awesome wife :D.  The budget is around about a grand.  Anything more would be a waste at the moment as he is only just starting to get back into it all.  He's not racing atm, but would like to eventually

So, he has used my wheels, Dura Ace WH9000 C24s and liked them.  I can get these (R9100 now) for $1K delivered but have been advised by a bike nerd that they are older style rim.  I know about Caden wheels, but not sure about the weight distribution in them - it's all about keeping the rims light, right?  And he would have to change the brake pads etc.  Someone suggested that I look at Prime RP-38 Carbon Clinchers and they are cheaper - and more "modern" apparently.  Anyone got a recommendation for either of these?   Or for anything else?

Basically, can you all do my research for me?  And the rest of my Christmas shopping while you're there?  Ta, muchly appreciated  :lol:

Support local and Caden I reckon. There's not a lot of weight in em. 1327g as I weighed them and J rode em at 98kgs and they were sweet. Can't ask much more that that really.

I was talking to Ben from Caden yesterday at Penrith. 

A guy came up to thank Ben for his new disc wheel and tell him how good it was, then inquired why Ben had been calling him to bring his wheel back in for a "check".

Ben said nothing was wrong, but they had some upgraded bearings they were using on the newest discs, and that if he dropped his wheel in Ben would pop the new bearings in for him free of charge so his wheel would be at its optimum. 

Thats the difference. 

• Like 4

And I'd agree with all these guys too, but Caden's are about $500 over what BF stated as her budget.  So what about options a bit lower?  Are you after deeper carbon wheels as the Cadens would be, or after a decent roadie wheel, as your DA wheels would be?

What sort of bike is it for, will they be everyday wheels or only for events?  What sort of use will they be getting?

Edited by goughy

Yeah, the cadens are a little over budget and nit any lighter than what I have. No deep rims, just a decent lightweight wheel. He has an old specialized tarmac. They will be his everyday and "race" wheel if he decides to race. 

Should I listen to the guy who said the C24s were old style and get something different?

Edited by BogFrog

C24's are "older" tech but the new tech is all aero stuff, so if you are looking at a 24mm rim it will mostly be about weight. 

I have some C24's and they are a good wheel. 

Yeah, what's with the "got to be light" thing? 100grams/ 200 grams.  It really won't make that much difference.  Won't make any of they are more aero. 

21 hours ago, BogFrog said:

OK, Aero on the flat. But climbing? Lighter Rims? And Cadens not available...

The tests apparently show that aero is better for climbing too.  All but the really steep climbs.  There is a test they did up L'Alpe Duez and aero still won over weight

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So Mr BogFrog is a very happy little Frog. I went over budget and got him the deCadence. Figured that I may as well go the whole hog...

Now EVERYTHING on his bike is better then mine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new bike :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

So Mr BogFrog is a very happy little Frog. I went over budget and got him the deCadence. Figured that I may as well go the whole hog...

Sounds very decadent!

4 hours ago, Tyno said:

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a new bike :D

Indeed! But as heavy as my current Roadie is, I love her. She's soooo comfy.

Anyway, this has me thinking, how long do most people keep their Roadies for? Mine's 5 years old...

Mines nearly 20 and I've had her for about 9 years.  No wish to change her, though she could be due some upgrades again.