goughy

Carrying 3 bikes in ute tray?

Ok, just wanted to run this past ya's, make sure we're on the right track.

Mate and I want to get 3 bikes into his ute tray. Planning on getting 3 lockable fork mounts, then attaching those to a big chunk of timber and then bolt that into the tray. Because of the depth of his tray and the bike length with aerobars, we need to mount them backwards with the aerobars just over the top of the ute back. With them secured backwards by their forks, do we need to do anything with the rear ends, or can they just stand on their rear wheels with no issues?

We know there are other mounting options made by Thule and Yakima, but this should end up about 1/3 the price.

Are we on the right track?

I built my own for the back of my Hilux. Mounted fork-mounts to adjustable set-up for different bikes. Fits 2 currently but easy to add third. Let me get a pic for you mate...

Those Zenith straps I attach to the frame to secure them (one from the hook, other from side anchors). The horizontal beam slots into the tray's cutouts at the side (red bits are attached foam to give a snug fit). The bolt under the fork mount is removable for adjusting it back and forth using the other holes. The front small horizontal piece fits snug against the closed back as added security to stop forward slide and also adds stability.

Hope that makes sense mate.

Thanks TP. So you don't actually bolt anything into the tray, that just fits snug?

3 hours ago, goughy said:

With them secured backwards by their forks, do we need to do anything with the rear ends, or can they just stand on their rear wheels with no issues?

Id put a tie down strap over their bums somewhere. Saddle, wheel, frame, doesnt matter. Stop them bouncing or putting the wrong kind of toruqe on the fork mount.

All fork mount jobbies I've seen have a strap for the rear wheel. Must be a reason

Those attachments don't work that well when you have a tray liner (as in my photos). The bar extends and pushes into the plastic and doesn't seem to extend enough to push into the metal, without fear of breaking the liner....hope that makes sense. I've used something similar to split the tray into two (no bike attachments), and wouldn't want to attach bikes to that.

Just to clear, this comment is relative to the tray in my Hilux. It could be perfect without such a tray/different tray.

His doesn't have a liner. We were looking at the Thule and Yakima ones which attach at the top lip of the tray and lock in place. Hadn't seen that one before. The price would make me wonder how sturdy it was.... But thanks Roxii. I'll let him know.

Yeah turts, we were accounting for some way to hold the rear ends down. TP's uses those straps around the down tubes to do that. But we could do something with the front tie down points in his tray.

Guest FFF1077
29 minutes ago, Dromana said:

Pad is the way to go.   I can carry 5 bikes 

Road bikes? 

I thought those were MTB specific? 

definitely recommend a strap on the rear end Goughy, all my years chucking dirt bikes in the trays of my utes and i never ever forgot to secure the arse end also, same goes for bicycles in my opinion.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:18 AM, KieranR said:

definitely recommend a strap on the rear end Goughy, all my years chucking dirt bikes in the trays of my utes and i never ever forgot to secure the arse end also, same goes for bicycles in my opinion.

Saw someone on the weekend with a road bike in a trailer cage, fork mounted with the rear wheel left free.

the second time we saw the trailer, the wheel had move 60° off centre (so the bike was nearly sideways, and now half lying down)  - Looked like there would have been a lot more force on the head tube while the bike was bouncing around.

I would try and lock it down in place. 

If you go fork mount, once you get a bike with thru axles you need an adapter, and are more fiddly to use.

Fork mounts on top of the front of the tray, or even on the sports bar will have bike facing forward and aero bars up above the cab (watch the drive thru/garage).

I have seen road bikes with the front wheels over the back of the tray, and the pad like for MTB bikes. 

Me i was going to get racks mounted on the hard lid but haven't go to it yet so just have them on the roof.

This is the result. Turns out where the timber is attached, the were threaded bolt receivers (what ever) in the back of the tray sides, so he just had to get some bolts the right size to attach the timber to them. Worked a treat.

IMG_20171210_131126.jpg

My name for them, probably from one of the online cycle shops.  They're Yakima brand and are the lockable ones.