Tsarus

Advice re Standard triathlon acceptable overall time.

I'm toying with the idea of entering an Olympic distance triathlon early December however my concern is my time will be around 3 1/2 hours yet hoping a little less. I'm being encouraged to enter as I'm 46 and had a double lung transplant in 2015 due to Cystic Fibrosis and it would be a great opportunity to raise awareness for organ donation due to the media coverage I'm told will happen. I am working towards a 70.3 Ironman next year and feel this is a great opportunity to get familiar with the longer distances yet I don't want to embarrass myself nor belittle the serious athletes! All opinions welcome (be kind though hey!), cheers 

Edited by Tsarus
  • Like 2

Bloody oath! If you wanna do it go for it. The are people who turn up every week to walk Park run. So you think they're embarrassing themselves? You'll be out three doing something that 90% of people couldn't fathom doing, and considering your situation, doing great at it.

It's all about testing your limits, and having fun at the same time! Go out, do your 3.5hrs and do it with a smile on your face.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tsarus said:

I'm toying with the idea of entering an Olympic distance triathlon early December however my concern is my time will be around 3 1/2 hours yet hoping a little less. I'm being encouraged to enter as I'm 46 and had a double lung transplant in 2015 due to Cystic Fibrosis and it would be a great opportunity to raise awareness for organ donation due to the media coverage I'm told will happen. I am working towards a 70.3 Ironman next year and feel this is a great opportunity to get familiar with the longer distances yet I don't want to embarrass myself nor belittle the serious athletes! All opinions welcome (be kind though hey!), cheers 

Enter - get it done  regardless of time. Worry about the next step (70.3) and any publicity in your post race review.

More to the point. Plan it, Enter it, Do it - then plan for the future. The benefits will follow.

Your time and hurt factor will be dependent on you in put (preparation/training).

Congrats and good luck...................but most importantly enjoy it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tsarus said:

DO IT!  And have fun, smile - apparently smiling makes you go faster ;-)  The fun part will last until about halfway through the run and then it'll be hell, but do it anyway!  But seriously, who cares about time - as people have said above in better ways, you are lapping everyone on the couch - and we aren't all "serious athletes".  Lots of different peeps out there

2 hours ago, Tsarus said:

I'm being encouraged to enter as I'm 46 and had a double lung transplant in 2015 due to Cystic Fibrosis and it would be a great opportunity to raise awareness for organ donation due to the media coverage I'm told will happen.

You're being encouraged to do it because you like triathlon?

If so, give it  crack. 3:30 ish you'll have plenty of mates in big event.

One of my mate's kids has CF, so I'm sure they'd back you :D

Mate most people on here accept that anything under 13 hours is ok, anything over that doesn't count.  If you cant do an olympic in under 13 hours, enter a sprint

As for belittling serious athletes, thats the nature of triathlon, most people who do them long enough beat everyone eventually. 

Triathlon is about you, just enter and do your best. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Please do it! And report back here!  I want to show my daughter whose best friend has CF and is currently in hospital again that people with CF can live a fulfilling life and do amazing things!  

Time doesn’t matter! It matters that you’re having a crack

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TenPints said:

The time you cross the finish line is irrelevant my friend, and the majority in this chosen sport of ours will applaud the fact that you turned up to the start and cheer your finish - whoever you are and however long it takes.

This

11 hours ago, goughy said:

Bloody oath! If you wanna do it go for it. The are people who turn up every week to walk Park run. So you think they're embarrassing themselves? You'll be out three doing something that 90% of people couldn't fathom doing, and considering your situation, doing great at it.

It's all about testing your limits, and having fun at the same time! Go out, do your 3.5hrs and do it with a smile on your face.

And this

OK and what everyone else said. I'm not quoting them all.  Lol.  Have fun.  To poor your mind at ease, look up last year's results and see for yourself! 

Go get em!

I agree with all above. Go do it, have fun and be proud of your effort. People do this sport for all different reasons whether it be to win, having fun doing something active, or to overcome challenges life dishes up, or whatever. I'd say most people at races are supportive and have a mutual respect for each other because of a shared interest in the sport and recognition of effort, regardless of how long they're on the course. There might even be more support for those out on the course longer, because people understand the individual effort is just as hard but goes on for a longer time.

Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bRace said:

I agree with all above. Go do it, have fun and be proud of your effort. People do this sport for all different reasons whether it be to win, having fun doing something active, or to overcome challenges life dishes up, or whatever. I'd say most people at races are supportive and have a mutual respect for each other because of a shared interest in the sport and recognition of effort, regardless of how long they're on the course. There might even be more support for those out on the course longer, because people understand the individual effort is just as hard but goes on for a longer time.

Good luck with it all.

Enjoy it, you won't be last!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tsarus said:

I've paid up for the Kingscliff Individual Olympic Triathlon this Sunday 3rd November. KieranR your post motivated me to have a lash this weekend, I hope I can get the job done for your daughter's best mate... Thanks everyone for your encouragement, cheers Rod

"Nosce te Ipsum"

Edited by Tsarus

12 hours ago, Tsarus said:

I've paid up for the Kingscliff Individual Olympic Triathlon this Sunday 3rd November. KieranR your post motivated me to have a lash this weekend, I hope I can get the job done for your daughter's best mate... Thanks everyone for your encouragement, cheers Rod

See you out there. Don't forget the Trannies hat!

8 hours ago, Tsarus said:

"Nosce te Ipsum"

What?

We only do Greek and Latin roots in year 4, not whole phrases!

8 hours ago, Cranky said:

What?

We only do Greek and Latin roots in year 4, not whole phrases!

know thyself.  Really Cranky :D

• Like 1

Well done. Keep us posted on your progress and races.

Well done. I hope you took the advice from above and smiled the whole way around and had a blast. Nice work look forward to hearing about your next triathlon challenge.