truck

Ultraman WC

9 hours ago, Go Easy said:

My dear old mum used to say that 'two wrongs don't make a right'.

I'm sure he'll be back when he's ready, he's also been very supportive of a lot of people.

My thoughts exactly. He clearly had a crap time out there. He knows that. If it were me I would probably be in a horrible, horrible hole of depression right now and not really that bothered about "facing the music".

I'm still in awe of the chap for finishing. Well done Trout! 

My thoughts - he knows he'd be getting some jovial ribs and isn't slightly concerned about them..... 

You know why he's not here yet.  Cause he's having a friggin' good time with Mrs IP on the island and enjoying his break after a hard few days out.  

29 minutes ago, monkie said:

My thoughts exactly. He clearly had a crap time out there. He knows that. If it were me I would probably be in a horrible, horrible hole of depression right now and not really that bothered about "facing the music".

I'm still in awe of the chap for finishing. Well done Trout! 

That's why I touched base with him off line. 

He gives, it he needs to take his own medicine and face the music. 

No one once jumped in with the "depression" line when him & AP were sinking the boot into me after Chattanooga. Or for the last 4 years when he has been having a go at Peter for having a shocker in Kona. Peter won the lottery. He had one chance at Kona and stuffed it up. Trout knows Peter trained his ass for that race and still had his worst race. It hasn't stopped IP brining it up every chance he gets for the last 5 years. 

Yep he has helped a few ppl out on the forum. Guess what, So have I. I also didn't make an excuse for my poor race. 

Stikman is the same, loves to sink the boot in with "easy courses, drafting, short courses & not breaking the sub11 hrs" he DNF'd the easiest course in the world on Sunday. I still touched base with him off line to make sure he was o.k before I started hazing him. 

I'm happy to say stickman has now DNF'd the two easiest courses in the world. 

Travis (IP) is back home and back out training. Good on him. 

But yeah everyone jump on and defend him, I'm the prick & shouldn't be picking on him. 

• Like 1

Nah mate, he is home now. But after two months away from his business I’d say he is flat out catching up. 

He has explained on Facebook what happened during the race. 

I've never met IP but consider him a mate. I've never met Bored@ but consider him a mate (answer my PM ya slack bastard :lol:).

I don't think there is anything to be gained by belittling anyone's efforts but I will say that I agree with Bored@ here to the extent that if this forum was a good enough platform for IP to sledge, then it's a good enough forum to explain his race. I, for one am not on FB so I'm interested in what he has to say.

IP is all about performance, Bored@ is all about the travel and experience (he's still way faster than me).  Both approaches enrich the endurance community, not subtract from it.

Whether or not he went overboard in the past could be argued for sure but hearing what he went through and how he dealt with it would be a great read.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

But yeah everyone jump on and defend him, I'm the prick & shouldn't be picking on him. 

People are just expressing their opinions and explaining how they would feel and how they see his performance or lack thereof. I still think just finishing is incredible so well done him. But then I haven't been (and probably never will be) on the receiving end of any shittalk from him. 

I would love IP to come back, not to "face the music" but to tell the story of how he went (or didn't go) out there.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, monkie said:

I would love IP to come back, not to "face the music" but to tell the story of how he went (or didn't go) out there.

This.

There will be a learning experience for most, if not all, of us in the report.

Even if the learning outcome is just the reinforcement of the mantra 'Must not think about starting an ultra'

1 hour ago, monkie said:

I still think just finishing is incredible so well done him. But then I haven't been (and probably never will be) on the receiving end of any shittalk from him. 

And maybe this is why some of us are a bit pissy. He has repeatedly shitcanned folks for that same attitude of just finishing if they were walking or not fast enough. 

Shoes just on the other foot now. 

Just now, Turts said:

And maybe this is why some of us are a bit pissy. He has repeatedly shitcanned folks for that same attitude of just finishing if they were walking or not fast enough. 

Shoes just on the other foot now. 

Seems like B@W is taking the piss out of the guy but it does sound like you are pissy.

12 minutes ago, pieman said:

Seems like B@W is taking the piss out of the guy but it does sound like you are pissy.

Sure. I get pissy when people throw shit my way for something they know nothing about. Seems reasonable. 

Someone that you dont even know on an interweb forum... dont waste your time or energy

Anyone who has raced in Kona a few times is entitled to a bad day there at some time - the Ultraman is at a whole new level - the chances of having a bad day doing that have to be four or five times as likely as in the "normal Ironman" over there 

I personally wouldn't even consider doing it, I'd advise others against it - I'd say get the Ironman right, that's hard enough to get right, and you still can have a shocker now and then 

IP has both my sympathy (because he invested so much into this attempt) and that could very likely be behind the problem - and my respect for his dedication in his preparation B)

• Like 1

I'll say this, I know B@W enough to know he'd say what he's saying to IP's face where I think the banter would be back and forth. I also know IP well enough to know what he says is quite often the same piss taking.

I think someone else said it but the simple two wrongs don't make a right.

If you don't like the way people write or come across on a forum don't across exactly the same thinking that makes it ok.

Maybe one line of "Hey IP you know how you shitcan people, your result the other day is why you don't do that" and leave it at that. You know he'll read it.