Youngy2

Jackie Fairweather -Canberra

Who else is doing this?

Will be my first draft legal triathlon.

I'm thinking best to try work together in groups of 2 or 3 (in your own AG/wave) --- not sure how that will happen -- but going to try

2 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Who else is doing this?

I'm thinking best to try work together in groups of 2 or 3 (in your own AG/wave) --- not sure how that will happen -- but going to try

If it was me I'd just fang it like it was normal race, only difference is I wouldn't stress the distances! and if anyone passed me I'd jump onto their back wheel :D

Enjoy the swim and don't forget your wetsuit!:w00t:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Who else is doing this?

I dont really know as I have never done or watched an AG draft legal race, but I think it won't be like an ITU race where they all pretty much swim the same times and come out altogether. Good chance you may be riding with people from other random waves. I think you'll just have to take it as it comes.

IM Talk covered some technique for this in this weeks podcast

Basically,

• go hard in the last 200m of the swim to exit at the front of your pack
  • T1 is not over until you are at full speed on the bike, feet in shoes etc - practice this
  • for 90deg corners and hairpin turns, change down two gears as you go in so you are in the right gear as you exit, so you don't have to monster a gear coming out.
  • corners and hairpin turns are where you can loose the race if not paying attention, move forward if need be
  • the run is 5km, not 1km. so manage your pace in the first 1km
  • In NZ disk brakes are allowed, but no aero bars of any type.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

If it was me I'd just fang it like it was normal race, only difference is I wouldn't stress the distances! and if anyone passed me I'd jump onto their back wheel :D

Enjoy the swim and don't forget your wetsuit!:w00t:

Has to be a road bike so you can't really just go aero and hold it. 

Drafting rolling turns if possible would be smarter. 

14 hours ago, AA7 said:

I dont really know as I have never done or watched an AG draft legal race, but I think it won't be like an ITU race where they all pretty much swim the same times and come out altogether. Good chance you may be riding with people from other random waves. I think you'll just have to take it as it comes.

Only allowed to draft with your own wave (which in Yarrawonga was all females, under 40 males, over 40 males I think) - not sure whether Canberra will be the same

1 hour ago, -H- said:

Only allowed to draft with your own wave (which in Yarrawonga was all females, under 40 males, over 40 males I think) - not sure whether Canberra will be the same

Ah, thanks for that. 

Be prepared for lazy farks! I did this race last year (was going to do this year but have a damaged quad - damn you soccer games) and was in second pack trying to bridge. Most people hid with only myself and one other lad driving things. Others only started working when this lad yelled at everyone that the much bigger pack behind us was catching.

I find the swim breaks up as usual, I'm never at the front but as said above, a slick T1 can recover some of that.

I've never raced a bike race, but enjoy draft legal bike legs. I get aggressive, don't know why, just love the buzz. The course is pretty straighforward, slightly up on the way out and fast on the way back, two u-turns but rest is straight.

No aero bars; no disc brakes; wheels must have 12+ spokes.

Good luck and enjoy!

54 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Be prepared for lazy farks! I did this race last year (was going to do this year but have a damaged quad - damn you soccer games) and was in second pack trying to bridge. Most people hid with only myself and one other lad driving things. Others only started working when this lad yelled at everyone that the much bigger pack behind us was catching.

I find the swim breaks up as usual, I'm never at the front but as said above, a slick T1 can recover some of that.

I've never raced a bike race, but enjoy draft legal bike legs. I get aggressive, don't know why, just love the buzz. The course is pretty straighforward, slightly up on the way out and fast on the way back, two u-turns but rest is straight.

No aero bars; no disc brakes; wheels must have 12+ spokes.

Good luck and enjoy!

If people in a bike race don't work together   - the pack soon gets sick of them -- as it's only 20km -- think it will work well if small group -- but I'll take it as it comes -- makes no sense to be out the front all the time while others have the benefit of drafting -- see what happens

44 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

If people in a bike race don't work together   - the pack soon gets sick of them -- as it's only 20km -- think it will work well if small group -- but I'll take it as it comes -- makes no sense to be out the front all the time while others have the benefit of drafting -- see what happens

Unless you can run, you have to push the bike. Best place to get the passengers is the corners and hairpins. go in hard come out hard and split the pack

• Like 1

Yes - was me — bike was so much fun - from the start worked with 2 other ladies then picked up a really strong rider from younger age group and the 4 of us worked together until the end of the bike leg.

20km ( apparently was 22km ) went in a flash.

water wasn’t too bad for Canberra - no wetsuit as it was 22.4  degrees

geeat race 

6 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Yes - was me — bike was so much fun - from the start worked with 2 other ladies then picked up a really strong rider from younger age group and the 4 of us worked together until the end of the bike leg.

geeat race 

Last year wen i did the draft legal, you were only allowed to draft with ur own age group......

59 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

geeat race 

Did you feel fresher for run than normal?  

They said at race briefing you can  draft off same sex.and they had a gap of 25 mins between last male wave and  1st female wave 

It felt like I worked a lot harder on the bike then I would have normally if doing it solo  (  — it was just like doing a bike race-  ) - I was in a group of strong riders ) 

Possibly my legs may have been fresher in the run but I know my heart rate was at the high end 

I never train in groups and very rarely ride on a road bike in a race situation. Normally I'm in the top 20-25% of my age group for the run, but I found the surging to try and stay on wheels after the hairpins and going up the small inclines cooked my legs and my run suffered accordingly (top 33%).

I did the Yarrawonga race and got into no drafting packs all race, but managed to hold on for a few km's in Canberra, so I guess that's some small improvement.

Will need to adjust my training if I continue to do D/L (unlikely).