japay1

Turbo trainer recommendations

Hi all. Relatively new here. I'm looking for any first time turbo recommendations. Don't really have any preferences between fluid/mag/direct etc. Would welcome any recommendations/advice from users. Looking at a price limit of around $400-500 for a first time which probably puts the direct drives out of budget. Thanks guys

I have the TacX Vortex Smart and I'm very happy with it.

I ordered from Pushys but they're out of Stock. Chain reaction have it though: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/tacx-vortex-smart-trainer/rp-prod125671?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-AU-PLA-PLA-All-All-SE-Shopping+QLB+Manufacturer&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sggFqFOBd_dc|pcrid|125706176920|pkw||pmt||prd|450045AU

Incredibly simple to set up and use, works with Zwift and Trainer Road on my iPad and Samsung. Ideal piece of kit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, monkie said:

I ordered from Pushys but they're out of Stock. Chain reaction have it though: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/tacx-vortex-smart-trainer/rp-prod125671?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-AU-PLA-PLA-All-All-SE-Shopping+QLB+Manufacturer&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sggFqFOBd_dc|pcrid|125706176920|pkw||pmt||prd|450045AU

Incredibly simple to set up and use, works with Zwift and Trainer Road on my iPad and Samsung. Ideal piece of kit.

Me too and I love it

2 hours ago, monkie said:

related question but a bit different.  Back in the day when I last used a home trainer it was rollers or a mag trainer and if I was sorted I would listen to music in an attempt to pass the time away.  I know nothing about "Zwift" or "Trainer Road" hence my question,

- what do they do? 

- I have googled it, do you race against others via your ipad or pc screen? 

- Does the resistance on the trainers change if going up or downhill? 

- if all I have is a bike and say bought the TacX Vortex Smart what else would it need get me onto Zwift or Trainer Road, and cost?

- just specifically on the trainers do the current ones wear the back tyre faster than on road?  When I used to use the mag trainer I would find little specs of rubber on the floor after each use.

Any advice will be appreciated.

I got the tacx blue trainer tyre for mine. Makes a huge difference to how well it goes on the roller.

31 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

related question but a bit different.  Back in the day when I last used a home trainer it was rollers or a mag trainer and if I was sorted I would listen to music in an attempt to pass the time away.  I know nothing about "Zwift" or "Trainer Road" hence my question,

- what do they do? 

- I have googled it, do you race against others via your ipad or pc screen? 

- Does the resistance on the trainers change if going up or downhill? 

- if all I have is a bike and say bought the TacX Vortex Smart what else would it need get me onto Zwift or Trainer Road, and cost?

- just specifically on the trainers do the current ones wear the back tyre faster than on road?  When I used to use the mag trainer I would find little specs of rubber on the floor after each use.

So in order:

What do they do?

They are both slightly different. Zwift is about  gamifying the indoor experience. It's basically a video cycling game but you control the speed by pedalling on you smart trainer. It provides different courses and there are lots of other people on the courses at the same time for you to race, draft off etc. 

Trainer Road is about structured power based training sessions. Similar to building a workout on Garmin Connect and then completing it but with the added benefit of Erg mode (see below). Zwift has some workout functionality but IMO having tried both if you want structured programmes then TR is much better. If you just want to relieve the boredom then Zwift will work.

Do you race others via your iPad or PC Screen?

Zwift = yes, Trainer Road = No.

Does the resistance on the trainers change as you go up and down hill?

Yes as long as your trainer supports it. For example the TacX Vortex does but their cheaper unit the Satori does not, that has a manual resistance control.

One additional feature of most of the modern trainers is Erg mode. This is fantastic for when training to power as it dynamically changes the resistance to match what it should be according to the workout. This means you don't need to change gear at all, you just keep your cadence steady and it works. 

If all I have is a bike and say bought the TacX Vortex Smart what else would it need get me onto Zwift or Trainer Road, and cost?

You need an iPad / Android Tablet or you can use your PC. It varies slightly for each one. See here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205625165-What-do-I-need-to-start-using-Zwift- and here: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201542504-Minimum-Hardware

You will also need a subscription to either Zwift or TrainerRoad (Zwift has a free trial which is 7 days or 25km ridden, TR has a 30 day money back guarantee). Zwift is around $15 I believe if you register in the next month and then around $20 after that. TR is USD $14 a month or thereabouts.

Do the current ones wear the back tyre faster than on road?

The advice is to invest in a trainer tyre. They are about $50. They are a bugger to put on and off though so you will probably want another wheel and cassette as well (or reuse an old one) unless you have a dedicated indoor bike.

Hope that helps!

37 minutes ago, monkie said:

So in order:

What do they do?

They are both slightly different. Zwift is about  gamifying the indoor experience. It's basically a video cycling game but you control the speed by pedalling on you smart trainer. It provides different courses and there are lots of other people on the courses at the same time for you to race, draft off etc. 

Trainer Road is about structured power based training sessions. Similar to building a workout on Garmin Connect and then completing it but with the added benefit of Erg mode (see below). Zwift has some workout functionality but IMO having tried both if you want structured programmes then TR is much better. If you just want to relieve the boredom then Zwift will work.

Does the resistance on the trainers change as you go up and down hill?

Yes as long as your trainer supports it. For example the TacX Vortex does but their cheaper unit the Satori does not, that has a manual resistance control.

One additional feature of most of the modern trainers is Erg mode. This is fantastic for when training to power as it dynamically changes the resistance to match what it should be according to the workout. This means you don't need to change gear at all, you just keep your cadence steady and it works. 

If all I have is a bike and say bought the TacX Vortex Smart what else would it need get me onto Zwift or Trainer Road, and cost?

You need an iPad / Android Tablet or you can use your PC. It varies slightly for each one. See here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/205625165-What-do-I-need-to-start-using-Zwift- and here: https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/201542504-Minimum-Hardware

You will also need a subscription to either Zwift or TrainerRoad (Zwift has a free trial which is 7 days or 25km ridden, TR has a 30 day money back guarantee). Zwift is around $15 I believe if you register in the next month and then around $20 after that. TR is USD $14 a month or thereabouts.

Do the current ones wear the back tyre faster than on road?

The advice is to invest in a trainer tyre. They are about $50. They are a bugger to put on and off though so you will probably want another wheel and cassette as well (or reuse an old one) unless you have a dedicated indoor bike.

Hope that helps!

sure does thanks.

"Does the resistance on the trainers change as you go up and down hill?

Yes as long as your trainer supports"

So does the trainer or bike need anything else to connect to whatever indicate resistance should be changed or us this already in trainer and zwift or trainer road program?

4 hours ago, japay1 said:

Hi all. Relatively new here. I'm looking for any first time turbo recommendations. Don't really have any preferences between fluid/mag/direct etc. Would welcome any recommendations/advice from users. Looking at a price limit of around $400-500 for a first time which probably puts the direct drives out of budget. Thanks guys

Where are you at? I'm selling my Kickr Snap if you're in Adelaide

I have the Tacx Vortex too. Had a few issues, and the support from Tacx I'd rate negatively. However, it seemed to iron itself out, and is working great now.

6 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

So does the trainer or bike need anything else to connect to whatever indicate resistance should be changed or us this already in trainer and zwift or trainer road program?

Apologies if I missed it above, but one thing I didn't see listed, is that you need an Ant+ dongle for your PC. If you have a Garmin watch, then the one that came with it works perfectly. The software (e.g. Zwift) talks to the trainer and tells it to adjust the resistance.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Just to add to this. Zwift is via a PC, and needs an Internet connection - you will need to check the specs of your PC. You can also link your mobile phone/tablet to Zwift (providing it's on the same WiFi connection as the PC) to make chatting and other actions (u-turn etc.) easier. E.g. you can't reach the keyboard of your PC, but can have the phone/tablet nearby (app available on stores as Mobile Link). Personally, I use a Surface Pro with the keyboard detached and then use my tablet.

Just a personal point on resistance and hills, if you're racing. There is a very slight lag when hitting a hill between the hill starting and the resistance adjusting. Be aware of this, as I've had people get a jump on me on uphill and downhill sections. Just keep an eye on the gradient marker to combat this, and react to that as opposed to the resistance if you don't want to be dropped. If you're not racing, then don't worry about this.

One of my best buys for my set-up was a music stand for laptops I picked-up from a music shop - has two levels to it and slots perfectly in-front of my bike. Was around 50 bucks IIRC.

17 minutes ago, CootaGC said:

sure does thanks.

"Does the resistance on the trainers change as you go up and down hill?

Yes as long as your trainer supports"

If you have a connected smart trainer then resistance changes auto (this is why i brought a smart trainer (Kickr)) for zwift

On a non smart trainer you have to adjust the resistance manually if you want. My previous trainer (Cateye 1000, build last century) had a resistance lever you moved to simulate hills.

If you don't want to use Zwift (or similar) then get a ordinary trainer, preferably with adjustable resistance. The real cheap ones will not have a particularly real feel to the riding.

A trainer tyre is not necessary as then you need an additional wheel for it. I find I cut tyres to bits on the road way faster then the tread wears out.

In addition to comments above:

You can play Zwift on an iPad or iPhone.  You'll need a trainer with Bluetooth instead of ANT+, but pretty much all of them do both.  And accessories (HRM, cadence/speed) that do Bluetooth also.

Zwift have just released a version for Apple TV.  That would probably be the cheapest entry if you don't have a PC/pad that can do the graphics.

Read dcrainmaker and watch gplama for recommendations/reviews

3 hours ago, TenPints said:

Apologies if I missed it above, but one thing I didn't see listed, is that you need an Ant+ dongle for your PC. If you have a Garmin watch, then the one that came with it works perfectly. The software (e.g. Zwift) talks to the trainer and tells it to adjust the resistance.

Just to add to this. Zwift is via a PC, and needs an Internet connection - you will need to check the specs of your PC. You can also link your mobile phone/tablet to Zwift (providing it's on the same WiFi connection as the PC) to make chatting and other actions (u-turn etc.) easier. E.g. you can't reach the keyboard of your PC, but can have the phone/tablet nearby (app available on stores as Mobile Link). Personally, I use a Surface Pro with the keyboard detached and then use my tablet

If you just use an iPad or Android Tablet and have a Bluetooth trainer then you don't need the PC or the Ant+ dongle. I have both Zwift and Trainer Road just on my iPad and don't hook up anything else. I use the laptop to watch tv.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

If you just use an iPad or Android Tablet and have a Bluetooth trainer then you don't need the PC or the Ant+ dongle. I have both Zwift and Trainer Road just on my iPad and don't hook up anything else. I use the laptop to watch tv.

Ah, cool! Thanks Monkie, must have missed that update.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

How do you guys go with skewers ? Do you use your normal bike skewer or a spare ?

FM 

Usually need a trainer specific one to get a good connection. Most shops will have a cheap plain steel one that they will give away or sell for cheap...