goughy

QTS SEQ series 2017/18

Thought I'd start a thread for the series rather than just per race.

So Jas and I are entered into Raby Baynext month.  Jas is doing the enticer in her first QTS race, and me the long course.  I'm posting early cause I'm bloody excited to be doing a race again, it's about 2 years since my last event.  Planning on doing Robina too, then Kingy.  I have unfinished business with Raby having left there in an ambulance my only other time there.

Interesting to see that a number of these races are now longer than Sprint distance, up to OD in length.  I'm actually a bit surprised to see them totally do away with the sprint distance events at some of them in favour of only LC and OD.  

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

Longer distances means more laps on the bike. 

So perfect if you'd just gotten your hands on a new bike :P

• Like 1

So all I need is a 900mtr, 180k, 6k race?

• Like 1

I didn’t realise that Robina was so popular only 16 spots left for the Oly. What will the water temp likely be? Will it be Wetsuite?

Oh bugger. I can't enter yet!

12 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

I didn’t realise that Robina was so popular only 16 spots left for the Oly. What will the water temp likely be? Will it be Wetsuite?

When I used to live on the coast I never saw that race run with wetsuits.  Where it is is pretty brackish water that wouldn' get a whole lot of movement.  Still tidal though and if it' a big month of rain and Temps don' get too high then it could happen.  But I'd do some training just as it probably won't be.

Nah, just have to wait. There's still kingy. 

1 hour ago, ashley_s said:

It's a selection race for world champs. No chance of wettie swim. Raced there few weeks ago, no wettie and it is only going to get warmer until January.

That would probably explain it being nearly sold out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goughy said:

Nah, just have to wait. There's still kingy. 

Hopefully !  Just got an email from them, seems there is strong pressure from a couple of local businesses to shut it down so they've had to juggle the swim for the sprint distance.  Going to be upstream (with the current) then a nice long run back to transition.  OD is unchanged.  

.......  we'll see what happens in March then....

On 22/11/2017 at 7:18 AM, goughy said:

Thought I'd start a thread for the series rather than just per race.

So Jas and I are entered into Raby Baynext month.  Jas is doing the enticer in her first QTS race, and me the long course.  I'm posting early cause I'm bloody excited to be doing a race again, it's about 2 years since my last event.  Planning on doing Robina too, then Kingy.  I have unfinished business with Raby having left there in an ambulance my only other time there.

Interesting to see that a number of these races are now longer than Sprint distance, up to OD in length.  I'm actually a bit surprised to see them totally do away with the sprint distance events at some of them in favour of only LC and OD.  

Thanks for your comments Yes the Selection for GC seems to have gotten a lot more people back into it.

Just on the changes to the QTS series.

The changes are largely driven by where the demand is and what we need to do to keep the series viable. We have also seen a large change in the type of people wanting to do our events if you go back to say 2012 or 2013 we could see 900 people for a super sprint type Distance even 400 for an Enticer Distance. Event organisers delivering our sport at the time we're being driven by this demand scooping up a lot of Non-Tri people looking for an event. We saw a rapid decline in this group across the country through 2014 & 2015 prob for two reasons, being competition with other non-Tri events and people generally have less money. So we looked really hard at what we were offering and looked at what was working for others around the country and we also spoke with a number of the coaches and regular participants. They suggested we would see more of the 70.3/Ironman guys nz well as more clubs and groups if we offered a longer option -even if we still had the shorter bike courses. That's proven to be the case.

We have also been able to extent the bike course at Robina and also Kawana in both cases because we had no additional impact on the local community. The 8km Robina course does allow us to offer the OD but it's still a compromise we would of course prefer a 10 or 13 course we just won't get it. We would also love to have longer courses especially Raby Bay in Brisbane but with our existing venues we simply won't get them past council due to disruption of local residences. Unfortunately this is more and more an issue for Triathlon events in city areas.

We aren't perfect but we sure to care and are working hard to make it all happen.

Other things: No chance of wetsuits in Jan based on the last 5 Jan events  it will be between 24 and 27 depending on rain wind air temp and sunshine. Water quality has been really good there last few years it's actually locked off so it's fresh water they do pump the water up a bit further to water CBUS grounds - might explain Titans form.

I see some other comments/questions on Kawana will comment over there.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brendo said:

Thanks for your comments Yes the Selection for GC seems to have gotten a lot more people back into it.

Just on the changes to the QTS series.

The changes are largely driven by where the demand is and what we need to do to keep the series viable. We have also seen a large change in the type of people wanting to do our events if you go back to say 2012 or 2013 we could see 900 people for a super sprint type Distance even 400 for an Enticer Distance. Event organisers delivering our sport at the time we're being driven by this demand scooping up a lot of Non-Tri people looking for an event. We saw a rapid decline in this group across the country through 2014 & 2015 prob for two reasons, being competition with other non-Tri events and people generally have less money. So we looked really hard at what we were offering and looked at what was working for others around the country and we also spoke with a number of the coaches and regular participants. They suggested we would see more of the 70.3/Ironman guys nz well as more clubs and groups if we offered a longer option -even if we still had the shorter bike courses. That's proven to be the case.

We have also been able to extent the bike course at Robina and also Kawana in both cases because we had no additional impact on the local community. The 8km Robina course does allow us to offer the OD but it's still a compromise we would of course prefer a 10 or 13 course we just won't get it. We would also love to have longer courses especially Raby Bay in Brisbane but with our existing venues we simply won't get them past council due to disruption of local residences. Unfortunately this is more and more an issue for Triathlon events in city areas.

We aren't perfect but we sure to care and are working hard to make it all happen.

Other things: No chance of wetsuits in Jan based on the last 5 Jan events  it will be between 24 and 27 depending on rain wind air temp and sunshine. Water quality has been really good there last few years it's actually locked off so it's fresh water they do pump the water up a bit further to water CBUS grounds - might explain Titans form.

I see some other comments/questions on Kawana will comment over there.

Hey Brendo, thanks for adding your perspective as race organiser.

What about that Kawana bike course though? Has to be the one of the worst out there, sorry. Great race venue overall, but would love to see the bike changed if possible.

I hadn't done the Kawana course before - but it was a lot better than I thought it would be-- only a couple of people drafting (no big packs maybe in groups of 2) -- I didn't see any accidents (although I heard someone came off the bike ) and most people held their line when cornering -- good road surface

5 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

I hadn't done the Kawana course before - but it was a lot better than I thought it would be-- only a couple of people drafting (no big packs maybe in groups of 2) -- I didn't see any accidents (although I heard someone came off the bike ) and most people held their line when cornering -- good road surface

Agreed but lucky it stayed dry. If it's wet i reckon you'd see a lot of people coming off especially at that off camber roundabout at the end of each lap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Hey Brendo, thanks for adding your perspective as race organiser.

What about that Kawana bike course though? Has to be the one of the worst out there, sorry. Great race venue overall, but would love to see the bike changed if possible.

I understand why you would say that but I do have a different view on the bike course IMO it's safer and better than Raby Bay and Caloundra especially Raby Bay through BInbridge and gordon street and bearing in mind I'm also on the moped in front of the Opens so while yes there are a lot of turns a lot of them really are bends that can be taken on aerobars. It does seem that triathletes in general want straight flat roads. If you know where All Schools goes you can see what the alternative is - which we don't think is as safe and has the additional issues of closing in a private hospital a number of residential blocks 2 churches and the school entrances which is often in use on weekends.

It's like David Hansen has said to

me until you've run an event at a location you don't know what's gonna jump out at you. The particular course we used this time used the widest turn points available -2 open roundabouts and the concrete road island at the northern end. and looking at the incident data looks like we had 3 crash on the near turn roundabout I don't see them but I was told thy 2 of them due to inside pedal being clipped. We had 2 other crashes one I'm not going to say too much about but was rider error and or drafting and other over the handlebars on one of the straits poss due to faiting. When you consider 3000 bikes passed every turn on course we would expect crashes - we typically get more at raby bay also.

our type of event doesn't have the same ability to secure road and inconvenience the local community as say a Mooloolaba and we also have to make it all fit inside a much smaller budget our series budget would be smaller than Moo Tri on its own!

Assuming we are able to secure the venue again next season we will make a few tweaks especially around the dismount and mount to make it less tight on return. New venue for us this year due to old venue land having been solid so that did complicate things for us.

5 minutes ago, A2K said:

Agreed but lucky it stayed dry. If it's wet i reckon you'd see a lot of people coming off especially at that off camber roundabout at the end of each lap.

Yes and that's the same with any event. I didn't sleep very much. Given a lot of competitive AGers looking for selection and a lot with poor skills but good power due to indoor trainers it's always a concern. I don't know how AG draft legal will go of wet on the GC

31 minutes ago, Brendo said:

I understand why you would say that but I do have a different view on the bike course IMO it's safer and better than Raby Bay and Caloundra especially Raby Bay through BInbridge and gordon street and bearing in mind I'm also on the moped in front of the Opens so while yes there are a lot of turns a lot of them really are bends that can be taken on aerobars. It does seem that triathletes in general want straight flat roads. If you know where All Schools goes you can see what the alternative is - which we don't think is as safe and has the additional issues of closing in a private hospital a number of residential blocks 2 churches and the school entrances which is often in use on weekends.

It's like David Hansen has said to

me until you've run an event at a location you don't know what's gonna jump out at you. The particular course we used this time used the widest turn points available -2 open roundabouts and the concrete road island at the northern end. and looking at the incident data looks like we had 3 crash on the near turn roundabout I don't see them but I was told thy 2 of them due to inside pedal being clipped. We had 2 other crashes one I'm not going to say too much about but was rider error and or drafting and other over the handlebars on one of the straits poss due to faiting. When you consider 3000 bikes passed every turn on course we would expect crashes - we typically get more at raby bay also.

our type of event doesn't have the same ability to secure road and inconvenience the local community as say a Mooloolaba and we also have to make it all fit inside a much smaller budget our series budget would be smaller than Moo Tri on its own!

Assuming we are able to secure the venue again next season we will make a few tweaks especially around the dismount and mount to make it less tight on return. New venue for us this year due to old venue land having been solid so that did complicate things for us.

Thanks again.

Yes, easy for me to say as I sit here as a participant. So many things you need to consider. Maybe we should just take Nicklin Way ;)

• Like 1

Are venues going to be the biggest hurdle for races in the future. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to find suitable places to run events. Or local club races up here have struggled due to The original venue becoming busier and busier as the area has built up and the cops are less happy to give the race permits, and the other venue has run out of water.  Then there was a comment about Kingy having issues with local businesses not happy about the races.

What is the solution going to be?  

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Are venues going to be the biggest hurdle for races in the future. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to find suitable places to run events. Or local club races up here have struggled due to The original venue becoming busier and busier as the area has built up and the cops are less happy to give the race permits, and the other venue has run out of water.  Then there was a comment about Kingy having issues with local businesses not happy about the races.

Yes this

its a case of managing impact and keeping council and councillors on side. We do that partly through Economic impact data and things that reduce complaints to councils as they are complaints driven organisations. Nothing more frustration going than having to work though complaints with them.

We are also therefore cautious in asking for changes.

and I am sure that there are many venues/courses that if they were a new event would struggle for approval. Noosa prob wouldn't get approval if it was a new event.

Loosing events like Corporate Tri from Sydney Opera House might mean we simply don't get back there ever.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Zwift triathlons

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Brendo said:

Yes and that's the same with any event. I didn't sleep very much. Given a lot of competitive AGers looking for selection and a lot with poor skills but good power due to indoor trainers it's always a concern. I don't know how AG draft legal will go of wet on the GC

Looks like they've managed to secure a single out and back course for that race so just one U turn to navigate.

Also just to be clear I do appreciate the effort people like yourself put into running these races and your willingness to be open and discuss it on here is also much appreciated.

• Like 4