Jump to content
ashley_s

Points required for world age group team

Recommended Posts

I am just wondering what people expect will be required for qualification for the 2018 Gold Coast team. Specifically I am talking the male 40-44 but all the popular ages will be pretty similar.

Thinking it over in my head I would think that 56 points pretty much guarantees selection ie 3 top 8 races. Or 2 top 8 and a top 16 at the National. 

I would think that a higher points total would be required for the standard compared sprint as people will be less likely to travel for the sprint. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking a top 10 in 3 races including the double points race.

 

That works out to 60 I believe.  

 

Honestly though it's hard to tell.  

 

I'm more focused on the next port mac club race in 3 weeks 👊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ashley_s said:

I would think that a higher points total would be required for the standard compared sprint as people will be less likely to travel for the sprint. 

I think you might be surprised how many will want to get into sprint distance team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I think you might be surprised how many will want to get into sprint distance team.

Yes. Less likely to travel for the sprint if overseas. But very easy for locals and interstate athletes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I think you might be surprised how many will want to get into sprint distance team.

Could be a big number but I thought that the draft legal might throw a few off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Can you get a discretionary spot / wildcard spot?

not taking the piss just curious 

The way I read this: http://www.triathlon.org.au/Assets/Triathlon+Australia+Digital+Assets/2018+Australian+Age+Group+Sprint+Distance+Selection+Policy+13th+September+2017.pdf

Only if there are less than 25 eligible point scorers in your AG.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ashley_s said:

Could be a big number but I thought that the draft legal might throw a few off.

No different from most local sprint races now according to most people :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slow day at work so wandered over to Triathlon Australia website and saw the points lists are up.

4 races into the sprint series and 2 races in the olympic series I note Youngy is up there on both!  

http://www.triathlon.org.au/Age_Group/2018_Australian_Age_Group_Team/2018_Australian_Age_Group_Team_Selection_Points.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

slow day at work so wandered over to Triathlon Australia website and saw the points lists are up.

4 races into the sprint series and 2 races in the olympic series I note Youngy is up there on both!  

http://www.triathlon.org.au/Age_Group/2018_Australian_Age_Group_Team/2018_Australian_Age_Group_Team_Selection_Points.htm

😄 

i checked that out last night — think was nearly 60 names in my AG for the sprint 

lots of long lists for all the AG Sprint 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the sprint is more popular than the standard? Or just that there have Bern more sprint races thus far?

For those that do the sprint, why the sprint over standard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BogFrog said:

So the sprint is more popular than the standard? Or just that there have Bern more sprint races thus far?

For those that do the sprint, why the sprint over standard?

Draft legal  = more fun

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BogFrog said:

So the sprint is more popular than the standard? Or just that there have Bern more sprint races thus far?

For those that do the sprint, why the sprint over standard?

I'd say it's because there have been twice the number of sprint races so far.  Once the other states have their OD races the lists will get longer. Also, wasn't there some sort of mess up with Yarrawonga?  It was meant to be a selection race for Olympic Distance, then because another scheduled race for the sprint fell over they  decided to make the sprint race a selection race as well.  this would have dropped the number of competitors as well.

On your second point - I'm going for both!  May as well make the most of my one chance at wearing the green and gold :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Just a heads up, even though they say 25 they may take less. In my AG last year they only selected the top 12, I was ranked 6th.

Im pretty sure that might be because only 12 wanted to go?  being on the GC assuming they will fill almost all the age groups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RunBrettRun said:

Im pretty sure that might be because only 12 wanted to go?  being on the GC assuming they will fill almost all the age groups?

Don't think so mate, as there was no communications at all in relation to who wanted to go prior to the announcement of how many were being selected, and whether you were successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TenPints said:

Don't think so mate, as there was no communications at all in relation to who wanted to go prior to the announcement of how many were being selected, and whether you were successful.

But you had to sumbit a team application form, which was registering your interest is making the team. If u didnt do that, you wouldn't have been invited no matter how well u did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Turts said:

But you had to sumbit a team application form, which was registering your interest is making the team. If u didnt do that, you wouldn't have been invited no matter how well u did

That was right at the start of the process though Turts. I submitted that before doing any qualifying races. The results after each race detailed those who were "in" for qualifying. Between then and finding out I'd made the team there was no other comms saying "will you go and race?"...unless I completely missed it of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TenPints said:

That was right at the start of the process though Turts. I submitted that before doing any qualifying races. The results after each race detailed those who were "in" for qualifying. Between then and finding out I'd made the team there was no other comms saying "will you go and race?"...unless I completely missed it of course...

 

What you did is the same as me.

But the application form didn't have to be submitted until a few weeks after the LAST qualifying race.

In the race results the YES and NO was whether the athlete was a TA member.   You had to be a TA member at the time of racing to be in the running and accumulate points.  Then at the end of the season (mid April I think) was the deadline for submitting the application form for the $75.

When they announced the team, it would have been people who were TA members at the time of each race AND had submitted an application form.

You could then turn down your spot if you changed your mind.

BUT you are right in that they say they can take UP TO a certain number per age group.  I would think they would want to take all those interested though - looks good for the sport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BogFrog said:

So the sprint is more popular than the standard? Or just that there have Bern more sprint races thus far?

For those that do the sprint, why the sprint over standard?

Not all of these people will be interested in qualifying though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Not all of these people will be interested in qualifying though.

True, but people on here seem to talk more of the sprint than the standard, so just wondering why... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TenPints said:

Just a heads up, even though they say 25 they may take less. In my AG last year they only selected the top 12, I was ranked 6th.

That might have been all who could afford Rotterdam. 

Play the statistics. Do the double point race and chose your other qualifiers from courses and timing that gives you the best chance of putting in your best performance. You can’t deliver A races week in week out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BogFrog said:

True, but people on here seem to talk more of the sprint than the standard, so just wondering why... 

I planned to try to qualify for sprint, until too much sun exposure ended that goal. My choice of sprint over OD was based on my relative performance in each. QTS sprints here have around 50-70 in my age group and I usually finish around top 10. I assume series in other states are similar, so even with stronger fields at qualifying races, I figure I''d probably still get some points and then it might come down to how many races I do to accumulate enough. OD on the other hand, such as Mooloolaba, have about 250-300 in my age group and I usually finish back around 80-100.... well out of any points. So for me, I would have been zero chance for OD, but sprint was a possibility depending on how much travel I was prepared to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, OK. For some reason I thought more people did sprints than standards..

 

57 minutes ago, bRace said:

... so even with stronger fields at qualifying races, I figure I''d probably still get some points and then it might come down to how many races I do to accumulate enough...

Isn't it your best 3 races? Nit an accumulation of all?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×