A2K

SBS Insight pushing the limits

17 hours ago, A2K said:

On SBS Tuesday night. Fellow Brisbane triathlete and Ultraman Tim talking about endurance events.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5Ft46EkhA

It's on after my bedtime. For anyone else in the same boat, some catch up TV for your next windtrainer session. 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/insight

• Like 1

The guy sitting next to the speaker is Geoff Holt who is a handy FOP triathlete and cardiologist.  I found him very useful when I consulted him about my then undiagnosed atrial tachycardia.  He understands where triathletes are coming from.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Shrek said:

features Sarah Hammond also who has been renowned for IPWR etc...

I like Sarah, think shes awesome, she smashed the boys on the race to the rock recently.

• Like 1

What episode is it? -- I can't see it "on demand" -- thinking it must be 36 or 37 as can't see either of those

its on tonight on the normal show,

therefore isn't in on the demand section after its been on ??

(correct me if im wrong)

Yeah, I'll be having my late night for the week and watching this. I've spammed my family too so they can try to understand the "why" I do endurance sport.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah, I'll be having my late night for the week and watching this. I've spammed my family too so they can try to understand the "why" I do endurance sport.

I constantly ask myself "why do I do this shit" :lol: normally comes about 2/3 way into the bike leg and lasts until about 3 days after i finish :P:lol:  :lol:   

• Like 3

I thought it was a very poor episode. I was expecting a more scientific analysis with appropriate experts discussing the pros and cons of endurance sports and an in depth look at our physiology.

Instead I got what would appear a number of people trying to amaze us with craziness and heroics. Maybe to the average folk it is.

At the very start they showed a few snippets of people talking before they did the intro to the program and the people...... that Tim Franklin guy said a few things and I thought...... I don’t think I can watch this crap. I was right. Watched it all but it was a struggle.

We also said where did they get these four people from!

I think SBS missed the chance to show something special.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Yep she was cool.  The other guy was a wanker. No wonder he was single

I worked with his cardiologist buddy for about 5 years.

I liked the guy that said he backed away from the long stuff because he wanted some balance.

Most of the others seemed to be running away from being fat, bad addictive behavious, or just want to see how bad they can hurt themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Turts said:

I liked the guy that said he backed away from the long stuff because he wanted some balance.

Most of the others seemed to be running away from being fat, bad addictive behavious, or just want to see how bad they can hurt themselves.

Agree here - some of them aren’t dealing with their own personal issues.

i can understand someone wanting to push their limits but when they don’t listen to their bodies when getting seriously injured or medical advice then they need some help.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

i liked the former fat lady.... what did you lose ?  35 kgs and a husband ....lol

Yep she made a positive life change 

• Like 1

Certainly some contrasting personalities. 

I found the free-diver interesting, taking himself into an environment uninhabitable by humans. Suppressing the need to breathe in darkness and enormous pressure is genuinely exploring the limitations of the capacity of the human body.

Grahak Cunningham, the Sri Chinmoy 3100 mile winner had a thoughtfulness and balance that was contrasting to ultraman Tim. There's a limit to how far a crash or crash through approach will take you. Despite Tim getting excited by the 3100 miler, he doesn't appear to be cut out for it. 

Will soon catch up with Elizabeth Bennett, the older ultra runner whose running  has been curtailed by age and injury. Lovely person who has done much for the sport. 

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, KieranR said:

I like Sarah, think shes awesome, she smashed the boys on the race to the rock recently.

Agree and when she talks about it she is really honest and gives a good view of both the suffering and the joy of the solitude.