KieranR

Yoga, Pilates and stretching

Ill admit, im the worst in regards to stretching etc, I see my wife at home all the time in the quiet room stretching and yoga / Pilates up a storm in there and getting all bendy, she keeps telling me it'll be good for me in regards to sport.  

I just cant seem to get interested in doing it, i hear lots of people say its great etc...........is it really

And stretching, does everyone here stretch? like routinely have a stretch regime they follow?  I dont......maybe i should

I have a couple of goals that im willing to share, dont laugh at me though

Sub 5 hr 70.3 in next 3 years

Sub 11 ironman in next 3 years

Will stretching / yoga / pilates honestly help me in some small way...................i do have time to do them if needed

I LOVE Yoga. Either casually as my warm down and stretching or properly including all the mindfulness that comes with it. Search for "Yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube she has loads of easy to follow stuff for runners, upper back pain, whatever is bothering you. She's also fairly easy on the eye which doesn't hurt!

Mrs Monkie swears by pilates. She had a slipped disc last year and pilates got her through it without an operation.

Edited by monkie

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Will stretching / yoga / pilates honestly help me in some small way...................i do have time to do them if needed

It will probably help anyone and will particularly help if you don't stretch etc.

I do yoga. It's very good for core strength and balance. Depending on the class it can be way harder than people think. Some classes are easy and others I almost need to be carried out. I went to one really brutal class last week where my arms and legs were convulsing under the strain - was awesome!

After 18 months I did a physical screening with a physio and they seemed surprised with my scores - I think I did well on the core stability and flexibility tests.

But really you've answered it yourself, you have the time so why not give it a crack? Nothing to lose and potentially some decent improvement to gain.

• Like 2

Yes definitely and more importantly as you get older , also include functional strength exercises. I would also advocate soft martial arts as well.

Whether it will increase your times will depend on if you have any bio mechanical weaknesses that these exercises can help with. Pilates may assist with hip alignment for running, yoga may help you get more aero on the bike, really depends on your body.  An office worker for example are susceptible to  shoulder and core/hip weaknesses by nature of the job. 

I do Pilates and strengthening at the gym 

Edited by skinnee

Might also be worth checking this thread:

Edited by trinube

Yeah ive had a few injuries over the years which I always manage at the time with excercises.  I know we should always do something but I don't.  

I'm having flash backs to a chat with Hacq1 one day.

Me : physio has given me excercises to help me stretch out so I can actually touch my toes.

Hacq1 : how many times in an ironman do you need to touch your toes?

Me : 🤔

• Haha 1

I'm pretty sure fitness buddy and ruley have posted some great sets to do for stretching and conditioning excercises that would be very beneficial. 

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

Ill admit, im the worst in regards to stretching etc, I see my wife at home all the time in the quiet room stretching and yoga / Pilates up a storm in there and getting all bendy, she keeps telling me it'll be good for me in regards to sport.  

I just cant seem to get interested in doing it, i hear lots of people say its great etc...........is it really

And stretching, does everyone here stretch? like routinely have a stretch regime they follow?  I dont......maybe i should

I have a couple of goals that im willing to share, dont laugh at me though

Sub 5 hr 70.3 in next 3 years

Sub 11 ironman in next 3 years

None of them will make you go faster.

However, the right kind of mobility exercises will get blood flow into the extremities to help the body heal after hard training sessions. Pilates is good as it works the muscles in pairs ie. one relaxes as the other contracts. If you had time, I would choose pilates over any other form of stretching. Yoga is good as a form of meditation but won't assist physical performance. Learning to focus can assist control thoughts on race day.

Static stretching won't help at all.

8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Yoga is good as a form of meditation but won't assist physical performance.

Sorry TC have to disagree with this.

I agree they won't necessarily make you go faster, but I've seen significant improvements in physical capabilities and  strength since doing yoga - ymmv :)

KR, I'll fight you for the mantle of worst!  Of course, I just don't have enough time to fit it all in ;);)   yeah, that's a wank.  Just too lazy to make it a routine.  Heck, should just put a reminder in my phone to go off when I need to do them.  It's why I remember to take my tablets most days, or wash the kids uniforms, or get my daughter to touch, or about anything!

Edited by goughy

11 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'm pretty sure fitness buddy and ruley have posted some great sets to do for stretching and conditioning excercises that would be very beneficial. 

kudos to anyone who can find the link & repost. 

First time I did yoga, the instructor mentioned at the start of the class "too many people live in the past with regret, or are waiting for something in the future. They fail to live in the now" 

I thought that was a great idea & in 4 years when I paid my cars off I would start living in the now.  Woke up at 4am & decided to sell both my cars. 

By 9am I had both cars cleaned & on car sales. Sold one of them by lunch time and the second one a week later.  Cleared $20k in credit card debt, interest free shit & started living in the now.

Taken my daughter on holidays all around Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Mexico, 9 x to the USA.  About to book a trip to Spain, France, Italy & Germany in April. 

I roll the dice at work, take the risk & apply for positions I have no experience in etc. I'm not going to go out wondering "what if" 

Making some changes in my life now to concentrate on doing something I tried when I was 18 & failed.  

Never done a yoga class since........  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

When it comes to stretching and core work, I had not done ANY at all for the entire 26+ years of triathlon and never had an injury.

As long as I was swim/bike/ running everything was ticking along fine and felt great. 

Last year with all that was going on, I did very little S/B/R and was more sedentary than usual, so this year when I tried to get back into it I broke down with some rather painful injuries all to do with posture/ inactivity etc. 

So I would say from my experience, if you are fit, well, injury free and happy with your current state and intent to keep active and doing what you do regularly then continue on as you are. 

If, however you are going to take a break from doing what you normally do for a while, take steps to keep your body "ready" for your return. 

27 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

First time I did yoga, the instructor mentioned at the start of the class "too many people live in the past with regret, or are waiting for something in the future. They fail to live in the now" 

So it changed your life for the better? :lol: 

14 minutes ago, roxii said:

Last year with all that was going on, I did very little S/B/R and was more sedentary than usual, so this year when I tried to get back into it I broke down with some rather painful injuries all to do with posture/ inactivity etc. 

Don't forget to check the calendar mate, it's not kind to any of us. The older we get, the more maintenance we need.

2 minutes ago, trinube said:

Don't forget to check the calendar mate, it's not kind to any of us. The older we get, the more maintenance we need.

Yeah I have been reminded that it may be a issue resulting from TMB (too many birthdays :lol: ) 

I started Pilates (reformer style) about 4 years ago. I miss weeks here and there but I find when I attending regularly, my niggles and injuries reduce to almost zero. I swim, bike, run stronger (core strength) and generally feel much better.

I also implemented a stretch program at home along with meditation. It is gold. I feel more relaxed and sleep much better. Unfortunately I have dropped the ball and do not do it regularly enough. This is a great reminder.

BTW - I am a 47yo extremely inflexible guy.

Cheers

NSF

Well i had a go and did Adrienne's 24 minute beginner yoga last night, I have some work to do haha.  But it was good, the only thing that annoyed me was my wife came in and put that thing in the back of the pic with some oil that apparently is relaxing and calming.........it was horrid! she's now banned from doing that again.  I followed this up with a 15 minute stretching tutorial on you tube also.

Yoga.PNG

• Like 1

So many tradies have learnt the hard way, when it comes to looking after their lower backs.

I took up Yoga this year as part of my hiatus from Triathlon. 1.5 hours every Monday night in class and a bit on the side at home. I must say I have seen improvement in a few areas, none more so that mentally. Much more calm in the farm these days. :)

• Like 1

I disagree with those who say yoga, stretching and pilates won't make you go any faster

If you maintain your flexibility and build good core strength you will be going faster than those athletes who are injured because they didn't do these important body maintenance procedures

* Do core strength work at least 3 times a week - be disciplined - it will pay off

* Do enough stretching to maintain a full range of movement - yoga is a good way of doing this in an organised group

* Practice the best technique in all three sports - good technique will always be faster than poor technique

* Body maintenance will keep you in the game as others drop out - in the long run - it's a war of attrition - the last man standing is always faster than those who have dropped by the wayside

Most of us are in this sport primarily to maintain a healthy way of life - be careful of which "experts" you take advice from B)

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

I'll have to get up at 2 am to fit all this in....

I think that is one thing that puts many people off, but it really doesn't have to take up too much time. I stretch or do some core work in front of the TV. 

29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

I think that is one thing that puts many people off, but it really doesn't have to take up too much time. I stretch or do some core work in front of the TV. 

Yeah me too.. 

I do mine with the squad - only ten minutes core work Tues - Thurs and Sat before they swim - it's amazing how effective 3 x 10min sessions of the right work is - everyone in the squad has good core strength - if I didn't do it with them I probably wouldn't get around to it