ironpo

Is there a decent beach or lake for a long swim

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Agree. Lennox head

great spot. Fly into Gold Coast. 30 min drive. 

What about the sharks?

22 hours ago, willie said:

oh I think what I know what this is... 

another ultra distance tricathalon? possibly run by a trannie? 

No trannie I know of is involved in this , unless they are a lurker that never posts (also from overseas)

19 minutes ago, ironpo said:

Who said it's an ultraman ??.

Nuffin to do with hills , hills are good , it's more the unsafe surface , shoulders etc 

CE did - I blame him :lol:

HoW has virtually no shoulder, the odd road-train, bushpigs (albeit dead), some bits rough as guts, and I've seen one bloke ride into a huge pothole and face-plant it, but it is the best race around.  Entirely unsanitised to get a taste of the real Australia (how about that murky river in the dark at 5am - epic :P)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They'd go OK in the swim, but they're bloody useless on the bike.

Other than one year, usually useless in Rugby as well

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

HoW has virtually no shoulder, the odd road-train, bushpigs (albeit dead), some bits rough as guts, and I've seen one bloke ride into a huge pothole and face-plant it, but it is the best race around.  

Yes I get that about HOW

grest race 

but it's an entirely different scenario if the race is based around a already busy coastal town where the traffic is pretty full on 

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

No sharks. Its inland. 

Perfect location but 

I just googled and it's on the coast , or are u speaking of another Lennox head ?

doesnt look like there are any real sheltered beachs there , but there is a freash  water lake but doesn't look too large 

Maybe if you could give some more 'clues' on what your RD friend has in mind it might  help with the suggestion, of course it might not though 😁

• Like 1

Just after a decent flat swim , in a decent but not to big town , not far from Syd or Brisbane preferably,I reckon covers it 

can be inland but see above 

swim could be 30 mins away from said town , if town ticks all the other boxes

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1

I think Kangaroo Valley is a decent town but may be too small for what you're after.

Tallowa Dam is 20 or so km away at the end of a quiet, sealed, dead-end road. Clean, flat and fresh water in the middle of a picturesque bushland valley. Among my favourite inland swimming places in NSW. Possibly the best fish ladder in Australia too! :lol:

Roads lead up to the Southern Highlands for cycling.

For running, as well as more than enough quiet roads, there are plenty of firetrails in the area that have been used for races such as Fitzroy Falls Firetrail Marathon and the King of the Mountain 32km which finishes at Kangaroo Valley.

I used to regularly camp with a small group of friends at Tallowa Dam during Easter and we'd train our butts off.

Still surprises me that Tallowa Dam has never been used for a tri.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ironpo said:

Perfect location but 

I just googled and it's on the coast , or are u speaking of another Lennox head ?

doesnt look like there are any real sheltered beachs there , but there is a freash  water lake but doesn't look too large 

The lake is good. 

What about the regatta centre at penrith. 2k long. Do laps. Great for people to watch. 

Stand up if in trouble 

4 hours ago, ironpo said:

Just after a decent flat swim , in a decent but not to big town , not far from Syd or Brisbane preferably,I reckon covers it 

can be inland but see above 

swim could be 30 mins away from said town , if town ticks all the other boxes

IP, at present there's no swimming in North Pine Dam, but a few years ago they started sailing, then rowing, but you had to be in the club. They are about to open it to anybody sailing or rowing. I think with the right persuasion they may allow an event like this.

From North Pine Dam you head straight out on to some of the best riding around Brisbane with your choice of long flat or undulating or mountainous riding.

NPD is big, and still on the edge of the greater Brisbane area. The course marked is 5km each way.

image.thumb.png.e6a1e403dbfc29efbbe4e1619b3988f7.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I think Kangaroo Valley is a decent town but may be too small for what you're after.

Tallowa Dam is 20 or so km away at the end of a quiet, sealed, dead-end road. Clean, flat and fresh water in the middle of a picturesque bushland valley. Among my favourite inland swimming places in NSW. Possibly the best fish ladder in Australia too! :lol:

Roads lead up to the Southern Highlands for cycling.

For running, as well as more than enough quiet roads, there are plenty of firetrails in the area that have been used for races such as Fitzroy Falls Firetrail Marathon and the King of the Mountain 32km which finishes at Kangaroo Valley.

I used to regularly camp with a small group of friends at Tallowa Dam during Easter and we'd train our butts off.

Still surprises me that Tallowa Dam has never been used for a tri.

we paddle here over christmas when not in jervis bay, and we also ride out to the dam.

13 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Other than one year, usually useless in Rugby as well

Beat me too it 

Some good options coming in now , I'll pass em on but please keep the Trannies thinking caps on 

cheers

ivp

20 hours ago, ironpo said:

Yes I get that about HOW

grest race 

but it's an entirely different scenario if the race is based around a already busy coastal town where the traffic is pretty full on 

I'm sort of a bit lost now.

Are you saying it needs to be on the coast somewhere?  And that the roads need to be smooth & safe & minimal traffic?

Could it be an offroad Tri?

12 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I'm sort of a bit lost now.

Are you saying it needs to be on the coast somewhere?  And that the roads need to be smooth & safe & minimal traffic?

Could it be an offroad Tri?

No 

I’m sure they would be happy with a inland town as long as it ticks all the boxes , but can’t be in the middle of no where 

you still have to make it attractive place for people to travel too Eg albury would be great with the Hume dam but who wants to go to albury??

my post that u quoted was more trying to explain that HOW roads are pretty quiet compared to the crazy amount of traffic that most roads around any popular coastal road has these days

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Lake McKenzie on Fraser Island. 

Fat Bike Island loops. 

Soft sand double marathon 

Lake McKenzie is my favorite swim. It's 1k across. Done plenty of 4k swims in there.

• Like 3

On 16/11/2017 at 10:47 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Wivenhoe Dam. West of Brisbane (in the Brisbane Valley). Bugger all accom at site other than camping, but close enough to other Brisbane/Ipswich and small towns nearby. Plenty of open roads with rolling hills, or mountain ranges if that's your thing.

Been a few tris run from Wivenhoe since the early 2000s...

No one has mentioned the Nepean River..... Very Flat.... and long. Bike access to a multitude of rides.

Manly Dam in Sydney - though you may say too difficult re: bike access.

What about some of the major dams/Lakes south of Sydney, though not sure if you can swim there : Avon Dam/Lake, Warragamba Dam, Lake Cataract, Lake Courdeux, Woranora Dam....... Surely you must be able to swim in our drinking water.

• Like 1