Cranky

QTS - Race 3 - Kawana

I am. Completely undertrained due to injuries but I've already entered so I'll have a crack and see if i can even run. I had a look at the bike course and there's something like a dozen U turns and i think it was 60 hard rights or hard lefts so I'm going with my Roadie for this one.

Decided yesterday to take my roadie in for a quick tune up when I saw how yucky the cassette looked.  Just as well. 

Mechanic - you know the back brake isn't working - demonstrates total lack of movement on back brake.

Me - um, really?

Mechanic - your gears are totally out. - demonstrates by moving up and down and it wouldn't go to the either the top or bottom gear.

Me - um, really?

Mechanic (moving back wheel in ways it shouldn't move) - the hub doesn't look real good.

Me (there goes the new Feen kit Ive been eyeing off) - oh dear.

Maybe I should do a basic bike maintenance course.....

So if I can afford the petrol after paying for all this I will be there.

Maybe it's time for a new bike :D

Just start winging stuff yourself. Easiest way to work out it is just do it.

Too far for me, but planning on being at Raby bay and Robina. Should be Jas's first qts events, and my first races in nearly 2 years I think.  But that's for another thread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Just start winging stuff yourself. Easiest way to work out it is just do it.

Yeah this.

I've spent many frustrating hours trying to fix my bikes, but am semi-competent now. Certainly saves a few $$ with the bike shop.  Helps if u have an old bike you can tinker with. 

• Like 1

Hubby and I are doing it.

Drove over bike course last weekend and decided to do it on road bike -- I was going to do it on it anyway (just looking at bike course on map) -- good practice for Canberra the following weekend.

Plus if they added 30 more spots and now it's sold out -- bike is going to be congested ?

6 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Decided yesterday to take my roadie in for a quick tune up when I saw how yucky the cassette looked.  Just as well. 

Mechanic - you know the back brake isn't working - demonstrates total lack of movement on back brake.

Me - um, really?

Mechanic - your gears are totally out. - demonstrates by moving up and down and it wouldn't go to the either the top or bottom gear.

Me - um, really?

Mechanic (moving back wheel in ways it shouldn't move) - the hub doesn't look real good.

I got a new road  bike -- with Di2 :)

• Like 1

Cool, that's where the tour de tri used to be held. Though it was in the pool, and the ride and run was basically the cool kids ride course.

5 hours ago, goughy said:

Cool, that's where the tour de tri used to be held. Though it was in the pool, and the ride and run was basically the cool kids ride course.

I did that the first year it was in  - 24 hour one but in a team - one of the dumbest things I’ve ever done 

Yep, did the first in a team too then the next two solo. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2017 at 7:57 AM, Cat Lady said:

Me - um, really?

Me - um, really?

It's always time for a new bike. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Wetsuit optional at the Hundy tomorrow — so you never know - lucky we threw ours in just in case 

Water was 24.5deg this morn for aquathlon. Needs to be under 22deg for 750m swim.

First ever aquathlon (sp?) done and dusted.  Event crew decided to give as more value for our entry fee with an extra long swim - approx 1.4 k vs advertised 1 k 🤔 Run course is really nice, that's if you weren't sent the wrong direction.  🙈 Surprised at the low turnout for a surprisingly enjoyable event. 

i just don't understand some people tho, arrived in T1 to see a second pair of shoes parked on my towel, actually ran past it because of that,.  Arrived in T2 and the competitor had used my towel to wipe their muddy/sandy feet clean 😡 Crikey.

27 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

First ever aquathlon (sp?) done and dusted.  Event crew decided to give as more value for our entry fee with an extra long swim - approx 1.4 k vs advertised 1 k 🤔 Run course is really nice, that's if you weren't sent the wrong direction.  🙈 Surprised at the low turnout for a surprisingly enjoyable event. 

i just don't understand some people tho, arrived in T1 to see a second pair of shoes parked on my towel, actually ran past it because of that,.  Arrived in T2 and the competitor had used my towel to wipe their muddy/sandy feet clean 😡 Crikey.

Same lady that gave you grief at Noosa? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Event crew decided to give as more value for our entry fee with an extra long swim - approx 1.4 k vs advertised 1 k

You'd have been a lot happier than everyone that headed up to Mooloolaba for the WSS OW swims today.

There was a 1.25, 2.5 & 5km. The cancelled the 2 longer ones and transferred everyone to the 1.25, so no refunds. Everyone I spoke to thought the conditions were easily good enough for the 5km.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You'd have been a lot happier than everyone that headed up to Mooloolaba for the WSS OW swims today.

There was a 1.25, 2.5 & 5km. The cancelled the 2 longer ones and transferred everyone to the 1.25, so no refunds. Everyone I spoke to thought the conditions were easily good enough for the 5km.

Yes been reading about that. I did aquathlon, was done before 9am so briefly entertained the thought of heading over to do one of the swims. Glad i didnt. I wouldnt be keen with the bluebottles.

11 hours ago, AA7 said:

I wouldnt be keen with the bluebottles.

A few people complained about them, but the local SLS Club didn't think they were bad enough to close the beach. My brother swam about 2.5km out there after they cancelled his swim & he said he got 1 very small sting. No welt at all. I think it was just a case of the organisers pandering to the lowest common denominator and not risking having people get into trouble on the longer swims.