James

iPhone X

Has anyone bought an iPhone X yet? I have been reading some reviews and there is not a lot of negative points yet from people who like Apple phones. If they are available, and when I sort out my salary sacrifice account I might buy one

It's farkin' expensive for technology that really is 3-4 years old.  And if you only look at the opinions of people who like Apple phones you won't see any negative points.  If you're stuck in the Apple infrastructure black hole due to other products then it might be a reasonable upgrade but if you're platform agnostic it's money that could be better spent.

Nice to see them try and catch up though.

I'm currently on back order, just couldn't be stuffed to queue up for it.

There's a 3-4 week wait for online orders.

I like apple products.  I have iPhone, Ipdad (only use it when travelling), apple tv, MacBook air.  

When this phone dies or I get bored, I'll be getting the iPhone x - why? because I can & i like new shinny things.  

• Like 2

As much as I love new, shiny toys, a phone is something that I will use and not really care what functions it has, other than being a phone or a communications device. The minute it stops being useful is the minute it becomes a paperweight.

Again, each to their own, but I couldn't care less!

3 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

As much as I love new, shiny toys, a phone is something that I will use and not really care what functions it has, other than being a phone or a communications device.

This is pretty much me. As a long time Apple whore (and registered developer) I used to be keen on their new stuff but the phones just don't interest me anymore. I had a 6S and I ended up dumping it for a 5SE (even though I can have whatever I want through our work plan). I just like the size of the 5 series better and can't see me ever going back to a bigger one. Actually looked at a Sony Experia (?) Compact the other day, they look nice and about the same size.

10 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

As much as I love new, shiny toys, a phone is something that I will use and not really care what functions it has, other than being a phone or a communications device. The minute it stops being useful is the minute it becomes a paperweight.

Again, each to their own, but I couldn't care less!

Me too. I've still got an old Experia. It works fine, does what I want, so I can't see any reason to go through the hassle of learning a new phone. Like Trinube, I could have pretty much any phone I want for nix through work, but will wait till I need to.

On 13/11/2017 at 5:20 AM, XCOM! said:

Seems like a lot of money - how does it make your life better?

Keep buying, makes my life better:lol:

I'll wait t 6 months for when work hands them out.  I haven't bought a phone in 20 years. Never paid a mobile bill ever. 

Lucky I guess 

similar here.  I have a very basic £5 per mth sim in a years old phone that comes in handy between roles.  I just wait to use whatever I'm given.

I upgrade to get a better camera. It's just so easy always having it with you and not having to transfer photo's of an SD card. 

Was just listening to an old IMTalk podcast where Bevan shows John his new Iphone X, and asks J if he did the recent update to his iphone cause it just kills your phone!!  Will be down the Goldie next week and will be trying to see if we can get my daughters battery replaced - she'd been so annoyed with how her phone started dragging she's been saving for a new one - which I don't doubt she'll still get.  

just ordered an 8, couldn't justify the extra $$$$$ to be able to make monkey or turd faces talk or to get rid of a home button on the X. I have a proper camera to take photos with. Did get the 256gb so don't have to be tight with playlists on the thing.

Reviews suggest the facial recog is a pain as you can't unlock the phone under a table and sneakily check the footy or cricket score, have to hold the thing up to your face and look at it instead.

• Like 1

Yep.  My daughter doesn't like the idea of the glass back though. Just more for her to break. She wants a 7.

The facial recognition is amazing, even better than I expect and there is 0 downside to it. If you want you can still unlock it with your pin. 

If you need to login to a website and your password is saved on your keychain the facial recognition immediately kicks in, authenticates and populates user name and password for you. I really just works and you will soon forget what it’s like to type a password anywhere. 

The camera with portrait mode is very cool and produces some really amazing depth of field photos. 

Having said all of that it really is not worth the $1500+ I paid for it.  

22 hours ago, Rog said:

The facial recognition is amazing, even better than I expect and there is 0 downside to it. If you want you can still unlock it with your pin. 

If you need to login to a website and your password is saved on your keychain the facial recognition immediately kicks in, authenticates and populates user name and password for you. I really just works and you will soon forget what it’s like to type a password anywhere. 

The camera with portrait mode is very cool and produces some really amazing depth of field photos. 

Having said all of that it really is not worth the $1500+ I paid for it.  

Cant imagine what its going to be like in ten years......