wombattri

Disc wheels - yes/no?

22 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Learn how to ride them, though, as they are quite a bit different from a spoked wheel.

For the uninitiated, where do you see the difference in technique when riding them?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 1:30 AM, wombattri said:

Righteo trannies - I’ve been stewing over this one for quite a while, time to consult the experts.

Disc wheel - probably the only major purchase I haven’t made. Due to the shame I would feel from someone passing me, I’ve always been against it - coach is saying it would be a good purchase. Riding fitness has improved a fair bit over the years - OD race bike split is now 1:03-1:05, 70.3 is around 2:30. No IM’s planned in the immediate future, but my last one was around 5:30. 

Current set up - Cervelo P5, HED Jet 6 wheels (they came with the bike - they’re nice). Assume all other stuff (aero helmet, etc) is taken care of.

Standard races are Mooloolaba tri, Port Mac 70.3, Sunny Coast 70.3, Noosa. Possibly substitute Cairns for Port Mac also.

Noting times and races above, is a disc wheel worthwhile for someone like me? Or am I better off with something else (eg Zipp 808 or HED Jet 9)? I’m open to ideas on brands, etc but don’t want anything crap. I’ve read a lot of material about it only being an advantage up to a certain speed, and anything less is a no-no and can hinder you - is this other people’s experience? 

I could of course be satisfied with what I have and just train harder, rather than buy more speed. I just see a lot of guys using them so surely others have reached the same conundrum as I.

Thanks.

A good purchase for what? More speed for what?

if you have to ask don’t buy it.

I upgrade to disc (and bike) when I stated seeing power profiles similar or worse than mine for competitive triathletes with faster times than me.  Until then I was content working on fitness 

after that, well let’s just say I love my disc

57 minutes ago, Paretojack said:

For the uninitiated, where do you see the difference in technique when riding them?

For my style, it was re-learning how to accelerate out of corners, climb and handle yaw and crosswinds. My style of TT-ing is big gear and lower cadence and they react completely differently to a shallow / mid depth spoked wheel. I have found that, once they are up to speed, they roll very well, but I need to keep the power on to keep them rolling. With crosswinds, you need to be a lot more alert to anticipating wind changes and direction changes as it can unseat the back of the bike.

Could be a personal thing, but I like them. Also agreed on being the least value for money aero upgrade....

17 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Also agreed on being the least value for money aero upgrade....

But they look sooooo good, and they go woooosh woooosh.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 1

On 13/11/2017 at 8:44 AM, ironpo said:

Haha

i only was thinking about this at 4am this morning while I was doing hill reps 

if you can send it back that would be super 

what race are u doing ? 

Are u doing the last busso IM ever ?

Its deffo making its way back to you at some stage. 

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 11:22 AM, Rocket Salad said:

As soon as my youngest starts school I'll be doing that time again within weeks.

Sounds like an excuse.  I think we are pretty much in the same boat age and kid wise.  I'd be embarrassed to ride a 2.30. :-)

Back on topic.

I've always raced on a disc ever since my first Zipp 950.

Was actually thinking of going to a spoked wheel once my current disc wears out simply because of the minimal advantage compared to cost.

19 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Relevant:

https://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-trial-equipment/

There are a lot more you can do according to the table in here if you're not already. But Disc is on there,  just near the bottom. 

Their (perfect)  summary: 

"..A rear disc wheel is one of the last items you should spend lots of money on if you’re looking for big savings.  However, if you want to look cool this should be the first item on your list  ;-).."

:):)

• Like 3

Disc is the only thing I've had that has made a noticeable difference. I have a 30km TT that I do very few months to see how I'm travelling and when I stuck on my Renn disc it gave me 1.5km/hr over a training wheel. And although this is supposed to be a myth, I find past 36/37km/hr it seems to increase it's effectiveness.  

I'm just not sure how much credence you can give to wind tunnel tests vs real world. e.g Aero helmets giving u 3mins+ for a 70.3, skin suit giving you 4mins over a regular bib.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Disc is the only thing I've had that has made a noticeable difference. I have a 30km TT that I do very few months to see how I'm travelling and when I stuck on my Renn disc it gave me 1.5km/hr over a training wheel. And although this is supposed to be a myth, I find past 36/37km/hr it seems to increase it's effectiveness.  

I'm just not sure how much credence you can give to wind tunnel tests vs real world. e.g Aero helmets giving u 3mins+ for a 70.3, skin suit giving you 4mins over a regular bib.

Obviously you need to be able to assess the validity of testing results, however such gains can most definitely be real. I consistently measure aero differences between difference skinsuits. Regular clothing is horrible aero, and skin is generally slow relative to the best materials. Obviously in triathlon there are clothing trade offs due to changing exercise modality and transitions.

Helmets are individually variable.

As I said before, one can gain all the aero advantages of a rear disk wheel by using wheel covers. At roughly $100 they are some of the best aero equipment bang for buck you can get.

I was in the same boat and almost got myself a disc cover. Tried contacting DYMA multiple times but no reply, heard from a friend that they're no longer in business. Almost went down the Wheelbuilder route but read plenty about their warping issues.

In the end, I decided to bite the bullet and sold my wheels (60mm front and 88mm rear) and got myself a set of Parcours disc and 56mm front from Acium Sports based in Melbourne, because we all know that the decals have to match hahaha.

Would be racing IM Busso in a couple of weeks, so I can't wait to put them to test!

Will bow to the experts here...

A disc on the rear allowes you to go deeper on the front (so more aero) as the disc brings better stability in a crosswind.

I love my disc and 88mm front!

...and kudos to Roxii for letting me trial a disc first in order to make up my mind.

I remember an interview on imtalk with the guy from Rolf prima, saying some go too big on the front. He said it's the front that's an issue and that his tiny wife can ride a disc in about any conditions with a 50 on the front. It was a while ago, but something to that effect.

9 hours ago, goughy said:

I remember an interview on imtalk with the guy from Rolf prima, saying some go too big on the front. He said it's the front that's an issue and that his tiny wife can ride a disc in about any conditions with a 50 on the front. It was a while ago, but something to that effect.

Oh for sure, the front is where you would choose to use different wheels depending on conditions. Having a rock solid bike position and training in a variety of conditions helps though. Ride your local TT in all weather conditions, it's a great testing ground to nail your race day set ups.

I would so ride that!