FFF1077

Ultraman Cost

I know one member has done a few UM's

Yes you Ironpo. :D

Just wondering if he'd share what the event costs to do in terms of the event?  I know and understand why you do them and I respect that. I was thinking during the week if it costs Circa 5,000 (Quoted from Peter in Ironman is dying thread) to do an Ironman where travel and accomodation is required.....What's the outlay approx for the Event in regards to entry, accom, food, crew etc?

Cheers if you can help

Not sure I want to answer this , as I would actually have to work out how much it costs me lol

im about to go for a ride but I'll give u a run down later in the day as  what the costs associated with UM are as each person is different 

6 hours ago, ironpo said:

Not sure I want to answer this , as I would actually have to work out how much it costs me lol

im about to go for a ride but I'll give u a run down later in the day as  what the costs associated with UM are as each person is different 

Thanks very much. Really appreciate the input. I wasn't asking for a credit card statement but a vague idea would be interesting. 

Cheers 

I did the inaugural UMOZ a couple of years ago so I can give you some idea. Ballpark I'm gonna say anywhere between $4,000 - $6,000 depending on a few things. Mine was at the bottom end of that range for a few reasons. Myself and my 2 crew drove up to Noosa from Brisbane so no airfares needed. And I was lucky that one of my crew, Wardy, owns a van so I didn't have to hire one. FYI a normal sedan ain't gonna cut it. Basically for me it looked like this:

Entry $2,000

Accomm. $1,300 (5 x $260) N.B. this was a basic 2 bed apartment a few Ks away from Noosa

Food $700. No idea really just guessing but you're paying for a LOT of food for yourself and crew

Petrol $100 Just a guess

So that's over 4 grand already and there's probably some other stuff I'm not remembering. Maybe my cognitive functions have been permanently impaired :wink1:

On a side note I'm not sure how an IM would cost 5 grand unless you were traveling by plane with a family?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, A2K said:

I did the inaugural UMOZ a couple of years ago so I can give you some idea. Ballpark I'm gonna say anywhere between $4,000 - $6,000 depending on a few things. Mine was at the bottom end of that range for a few reasons. Myself and my 2 crew drove up to Noosa from Brisbane so no airfares needed. And I was lucky that one of my crew, Wardy, owns a van so I didn't have to hire one. FYI a normal sedan ain't gonna cut it. Basically for me it looked like this:

Entry $2,000

Accomm. $1,300 (5 x $260) N.B. this was a basic 2 bed apartment a few Ks away from Noosa

Food $700. No idea really just guessing but you're paying for a LOT of food for yourself and crew

Petrol $100 Just a guess

So that's over 4 grand already and there's probably some other stuff I'm not remembering. Maybe my cognitive functions have been permanently impaired :wink1:

On a side note I'm not sure how an IM would cost 5 grand unless you were traveling by plane with a family?

This is pretty much the ball park ,but everyone Is different 

Ok so I'll do a comparison from IM to UM

the thing with Um is you are suppose to pay EVERYTHING for your crew , but in my case that doesn't really happen , but I do pay for their accommodation (usually just get a big enough house to put us all in which is easier for logistics anyways) and food etc

when I've done Hawaii I have paid for my extra crew airfair twice but this year Mr and mrs shuffla are coming over to crew for me and they have kindly offered to pay airfares and I'll supply everything else . They see it as a chance to spend a week in paradise (but they will change lol)

so UMOZ cost (not Hawaii) this is for me and mrs IP who crews for me 

entry $2000

car hire so $600 if you are just getting it for the race 

accom is about $1200 for us for two weeks , nice place in Noosaville 

food possibly $600 

fuel for me to get there and back about $700

youdo buy a fair bit of extra stuff , tubes/tubbies , drinks , food etc maybe esky , first aid kit etc but u generally use these things after the event if u don't use em in the event so they arnt wasted 

the biggest cost to me is , myself being away from my Buisness , without me things don't run as well or get done as well if I'm not there , but I try and manage these things as well as I can before I go , while I'm away and after my return 

im also paying for people to do the work I usually do as well as all the extra stuff like mower repairs etc . I do all my paperwork etc remotely while I'm away so I'm never on holidays as such

This all adds up , but it's a choice I make and not a complaint, just a note for this post 

as as I type this I'm sitting in Kona , so we can have another crack at UMhawaii , there is no way possible that u can compare these costs above with costs of going to Hawaii UM

• Like 1

So IMOZ costs (we both did IMOZ this year then drove to Noosa and did UMOZ 5days later 

i can see how you can get to $5k easy with a family if you fly

i did cairns I'm this year solo flying and with no car and I reckon it cost me $3k easy with no car hire 

So port mac this year 

we drive  so Bout $500 fuel

entry for two was about $1800

Accommodation for 14 days , we stay at Macquarie waters which s right near start finish etc in town , not the worst place in town but certainly  not the best , this year would have been over $3k so we went to Noosa abit early as our accommodation there was cheaper and it was warmer 

peak IM rates were $320 a nite for 5nite minum, but we do get a discount rate for the other nires as we have stayed here about 12 years in a row ,  but they won't budge on the IM rate 

food , eat out etc $600-$1000 

so not a lot of difference in IM to UM  exempt the entry and maybe the extra time u might take off work 

Edited by ironpo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Cost me over $2k just to volunteer

Plus u had to work more hrs 

You are obviously in the wrong crew  , 

• Like 1

I think the unwritten rule across all sport is that you pay all expenses for your crew & rightly so. A good support crew are worth their weight in gold & they work hard for you 

• Like 4

I’ve just finished a 3 and half hour training run. Haven’t trained as hard for anything in my life. And I’m still worried I won’t keep up with Trout. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very much to the both of you for the input. Interesting reading.

The prices of Accom are the killer for IM, and obviously the air fare where required.

thanks again

• Like 1

Accom is a killer for many races now days.  Minimum night stays and peak season pricing..... need to sleep in my van more often.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Accom is a killer for many races now days.  Minimum night stays and peak season pricing..... need to sleep in my van more often.

Do you want to hire your van out ?

i could sleep in it and use it as crew car 

win win 

Maybe you just need to convince me to crew for you............

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ironpo said:

Plus u had to work more hrs 

You are obviously in the wrong crew  , 

I ended up running 62km that day. 

I'm happy to pay my own way, its the way I roll.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I ended up running 62km that day. 

I'm happy to pay my own way, its the way I roll.

You can be on my crew anytime then :-)

7 hours ago, Fitness Buddy said:

In reality probably cost you more with 1-2 weeks loss of pay unless using holiday leave

Not sure if u read my post but I don't get holiday pay as I work for myself 

in fact I have to pay someone to work for me , so it's the opposite to holiday pay 

I pay to go on holidays (not work) in stead of getting paid to not work

but as I said , it is what it is , and I wouldn't change it for the world 

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

Not sure your darling wife could spend a day in the van with me.

Maybe you can crew for her (or me) when she races UM then 

7 hours ago, ironpo said:

Not sure if u read my post but I don't get holiday pay as I work for myself 

It's like when someone asks me why I'm working on a Sunday, I tell them every day is Monday to me.

• Like 1

Did ultraman last year as well and yep totally agree on the cost but yeah would do it all agian in a hart beat 

• Like 1