ironpo

How much caffeine do you use?

So how much caffeine do you use in training and or racing 

igenerally use 1 no dose at the start of longer sessions which I think is about 100  mg of caffeine in each tab

i don't add any once I start as it gets me through , but do others use more and more often ?

im thinking of adding some more at the start 

i don't drink any coffee but have 1 cup of tea with the no doze 

Edited by ironpo

Dont drink coffee so the only time i had a caffeine hit was on a bike ride when drank some red bull.  Man did it peep me up.  I believe caffeine has bigger effect if you dont regularly use it.  

Ive got traces of blood in my coffee stream:D

I don't really use caffeine in racing or training at any high level though. Some Coke here and there on the run or after a hot hard ride but rarely.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I drink one green tea before training and before a race. No supplements in a race.

FM - living on the edge. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Some Coke here and there on the run or after a hot hard ride but rarely.

I think there is bugger all caffeine in the coke these dAys

Coke  is good for sugar hit  though 

I usually don't have any until I have already trained and enjoy a coffee with the guys and girls - after that on the way home something has unlocked in my energy supply, I ride the hills on the way home with "Lance's legs"

If I'm feeling a bit flat on the way to a bigger Sunday session I'll stop at Maccas for a double espresso - works wonders for me

In an IM I'd have a No-Doze 15min before and maybe 2 others through the day - with that and the coke it's not a good nights sleep that night :huh:

I have experimented over the years abstaining from any caffeine for 2-3 weeks before an IM - made no difference - it still comes down to mental strength and desire B)

• Like 2

I usually work back from roughly the end of the event and calculate to take a caffine gel to support me through to the end.

Some good info from Slane on caffine and Time Trialling via the Lama's Youtube channel.

• Like 2

Don't use it during races but excellent to have a strong, sugarless latte to move the bowels before heading out for the morning session.

Don't really use it at all in training, and not in racing till I'm surviving on coke on the run. Should I get on to it?

Can't stand coffee, not even the smell. Drink a bit of tea plus one or two coke no sugars a day.

Edit:  because I just saw why @surfer101 had that reaction to my post (f'n autocorrect)

• Confused 1

2 coffees a day for me. Usually one in the morning with breakfast, then one around 11am due to recess time at school. I don't really touch caffeine before a morning training session as it usually kick starts bowel movements (which isn't fun). I generally drink coffee for the taste rather than the caffeine. 

One coffee a day normally after swim workout when I get to the office. It's great! But I'm a brit so there's 3 cups of proper tea before moving to herbal. 

I only use it in a race to make "the bowels move" at 0500.

Monkie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Naut said:

I usually work back from roughly the end of the event and calculate to take a caffine gel to support me through to the end.

Some good info from Slane on caffine and Time Trialling via the Lama's Youtube channel.

Thanks , goo d vid

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, monkie said:

One coffee a day normally after swim workout when I get to the office. It's great! But I'm a brit so there's 3 cups of proper tea before moving to herbal. 

I only use it in a race to make "the bowels move" at 0500.

Monkie

Bit of a Yorkshire vs PG Tips war at my office . (I stay neutral and drink Tetley :D )

Guest FFF1077

Every day - wake, 250ml water and a no doze then train. If I didn't train on a particular morning I still no doze. One more coffee at work when I get there then that's it. Except for Thursday afternoon when I have a No Doze at 3 ish in the arvo before school pick up and Tee Ball coaching and then Swim session. 

Never had it in a race but I will use it when I go around again. 

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Bit of a Yorkshire vs PG Tips war at my office . (I stay neutral and drink Tetley :D )

Mrs Monkie is a no plastic warrior so ours is from the bulk store. Have to make it in a pot but that means at least three mugs!

• Like 1

Digging up an old one here, but my wife just mentioned tonight that caffeine has helped her in the past with her asthma. I took a quick look online and found that it is a bronchodilator. I'm surprised with all the talk there is around caffeine being a performance enhancer that this has never come up before. 

Have others heard of this effect?

We had a bit of a play with caffeine at uni but it was centred more around the vasodilation, rather than bronchodilation.

Here is a review from 2001 that I found quickly that looked at a few different studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11687099

It appears that it does have an effect, although one of the studies found that it wasn't as effective as theophylline (aka Uniphyl and Theochron). 

My daughter has been pushing me to reduce my coffee intake. I cut down from 6 to two a day.

I have one coffee about 9:30/10am and then a second about 3pm. Damm I'm going to bed early & have been waking up with a headache.

Hopefully only a few more days & I can break the addiction a bit. It's been 10 days so far.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My daughter has been pushing me to reduce my coffee intake. I cut down from 6 to two a day.

I have one coffee about 9:30/10am and then a second about 3pm. Damm I'm going to bed early & have been waking up with a headache.

Hopefully only a few more days & I can break the addiction a bit. It's been 10 days so far.

From memory it's one of the most addictive substances on the planet. In terms of the addiction itself and the number of people with a caffeine addiction.

2 hours ago, BNothling said:

From memory it's one of the most addictive substances on the planet. In terms of the addiction itself and the number of people with a caffeine addiction.

Wrong.  It is the most commonly used “drug” on the planet.  Depending on your definition of addiction, whether it be Behavioral or physical it doesn’t come close to the usual suspects : heroin, cocaine, nicotine, barbiturates and alcohol.

I've cut down a lot. Not  from a health concern but from buying it at work, it was costing a small fortune.  This means having coffee in a jar at my desk, which tastes like crap, therefore I drink less.

I don't even think I felt any benefits of coffee, it was just the action of getting up from my desk and going tp do something else.  I still enjoy a coffee after a ride or a hard run but that's about it.

Now just need the same approach with Coke Zero!

I try and not have any when training and load up on race day. Timing will depend on the race distance, but generally;

0 to 3 hr race - 200mg (2 No-Doz) about an hour before the start. Any earlier and I get real jittery. 

3 hrs plus race - 200mg at the half way point and then Coke as required. 

When I looked into this stuff about 5 years ago it was suggested I take 2-3mg/kg as tolerated. My weight hovers from low to high 70’s so 2 No Doz is enough.

I’ve tried Red Bull during races, but the other “stuff” in it gives me the squirts super fast. 

Post Race, I normally will allow myself Caffeine for a day or two until I fast again.

I am a constantly offending Coke addict once I get started, so cant afford to be on it all the time.

6.3 mg about every second day (multiples if writing an assessment item).

incase you were wondering, that is the amount of caffeine in a Kit-Kat

I'd like to adapt Froudies advice and make that 40 odd kit-kats but I think there might be other side effects

But seriously, after long chats with cardiologists, I'd be skipping anything more than the aforementioned Kit Kat type level of caffeine.  The cardiac damage form some of these substances is variable (depending on a range of factors some of which you cannot control), insidious and cumulative.

For many it is a comfort thing. If it assists them to get through the day so be it.

Edited by Merv