goughy

First car for daughter

2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Unlike some other states, NSW allows you to drive a manual after you've had your P's for a year. Why would they bother with the effort of sitting the test in a manual?

If they are going to sit their test in manual, I would think that they are more likely to spend more time learning in one.  As a parent, I'm hoping it makes them a better driver, that was certainly the feedback from the examiner.

She's now at school in Europe for 12 months, but for what its worth she much preferred driving (or to be seen by her friends) in our auto BT50.

That's just it. You don't have to sit the test in a manual down there. In Qld, if you want to drive a manual you have to sit a test in a manual. In NSW, you can do all your learning in an auto, sit the test in an auto (which is heaps easier), and then a year later, drive a manual.

55 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

That's just it. You don't have to sit the test in a manual down there. In Qld, if you want to drive a manual you have to sit a test in a manual. In NSW, you can do all your learning in an auto, sit the test in an auto (which is heaps easier), and then a year later, drive a manual.

yes but why would you ever want to drive a manual.

The reason my daughter wont learn in a manual is I'm not driving one daily in traffic, also not buying another car just for her to learn in, there is no guarantee of a car when she gets her P plates unless she saves for one (that ain't happening).

Jas is getting a car regardless - she's paying for half of it, hence why she has two jobs atm.  Can't wait till she's working 7 days a week during the school holidays.  She'll be begging for school to start.  While I like auto's, I don't mind having a manual in a car that doesn't have a lot of oomph, which are in things like my work van and a small car with a small engine.  Just feel they drive better as a manual.  Bigger cars, who cares.

2 hours ago, lawman said:

If they are going to sit their test in manual, I would think that they are more likely to spend more time learning in one.  As a parent, I'm hoping it makes them a better driver, that was certainly the feedback from the examiner.

She's now at school in Europe for 12 months, but for what its worth she much preferred driving (or to be seen by her friends) in our auto BT50.

I learned in and have always driven a manual. (I admit I wouldn't if stuck in Sydney traffic for 2 hours a day) I too think they teach better control and make her a better driver. And the car she was going to be driving after getting her p's was a manual so she had no choice in my decision!

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

So how long do you have to wait to drive a manual (40km below the speed limit in the right lane of a 4 lane motorway) in Qld?

8 hours ago, Parkside said:

...... 40km below the speed limit in the right lane of a 4 lane motorway in Qld....and in NSW and everywhere else.

And how Qld plates disable the indicators, and turn you into a complete random driver.

Our youngest got her Ps in a manual, but drives an auto (much more relaxing in ridiculous Sydney traffic).  Our eldest got her Ps in an auto and basically has not driven since (does not like driving - probably a good thing for other road users :wink1:).  Both have full licences now, which in the case of our eldest shows what a joke the testing system is.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

I learned in and have always driven a manual.

I learned to drive with a manual, but passed my test in one of these. Walking from start to end requires a cut lunch.  What a hoot, I think the tester just gave it to me when I nailed the 3-point turn.

1200px-1968_Pontiac_Parisienne_(16322836

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, XCOM! said:

I learned to drive with a manual, but passed my test in one of these. Walking from start to end requires a cut lunch.  What a hoot, I think the tester just gave it to me when I nailed the 3-point turn.

1200px-1968_Pontiac_Parisienne_(16322836

A Greek guy I went to school with in the late 1980s inherited his dad's bright yellow 1973 Rambler Matador, with a 6.6L V8 in it, which he subsequently nitroed! This was just before the power : weight restrictions came in in Victoria. He used to do a regular burnout out the front of the school gates every night and it must have cost him a bomb in fuel, nitro and tyres. 

Would definitely NOT recommend the Matador as a first car! 

My eldest got a manual 2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara as a first car.  The sticker he put on the back sums ups its performance "0-60...eventually".   Top speed is about 110km/h (downhill with a tail wind). No electronic driving aids but considering that some of his learner driver time was spent on muddy and Sandy tracks he learnt how to drive in conditions that he's not going to get on the blacktop too often.  

He's upgraded now so we bought the Vitara back and now my youngest will learn to drive in it.  But in the meantime I'm using it as my daily commuter and having a lot of fun in it.

TwoCars.jpg

When I moved to Oz, the option of 'swapping' my UK licence for an Oz wasn't there like it is now. I had to take a test for car and moto.  Took my test in my FIL's massive old Charger, this thing was longer than 3 postcodes and turned slower than the Nimitz.

Took my test in the country town where FIL and family lived. The streets were all very wide, except for the street he picked to get me to turn the car around. I'd never seen that street before and bugger me it was narrow.  No way a 3 point turn is happening without touching the curb but I didn't panic. 

I completed the turn in 5 points and he said 'nice to see someone that actually reads the rules'. He went on to say he picks that street for folks in big cars to see if they attempt a 3 pt turn, then promptly fails them when they touch the curb.

What a bastard :lol:

Edited by FatPom