Sign in to follow this  
rory-dognz

Highland Fling

I'm doing the Final Fling on the 12th Nov, 120km XC in the southern highlands.

Has anyone one it and got any advice for a mid/back packer.

How does it compare to Convict which i have done twice.

Looking forward to camping the night before and a day of riding.

Yeah ive done them all, heading to number 13 of 13 as they have announced its the last one.

im only doing the half of about 60km

I haven't done the convict yet, however reckon Fling would be easier in sense of less rocky , its a mix of single track and fire trails

ive always enjoyed the weekend, getting there mid arvo Saturday camping or staying in the pub then racing sunday and heading home after preso...

advice for mid packer, well that's me, however cant think of much advice wise, like usual many go to hard too soon and blow up...

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the getting there Saturday afternoon and camping. Hopefully the weather stays dry

ha the more rain now...the deeper the river crossings......:lol:

nah should be good they wouldn't be more than say knee deep.....

Very happy to have river crossings, it the camping and getting ready in the rain that i don't want.

At least the rivers will be warm compared to NZ rivers which come straight of mountains

13 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Very happy to have river crossings, it the camping and getting ready in the rain that i don't want.

At least the rivers will be warm compared to NZ rivers which come straight of mountains

your sunday morning alarm clock will be unique.....and loud.... :lol:

GRP_HLF14-0249.jpg

10 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

whys it the last one ? organisors had enough ?

they seemed to struggle for sponsors for this one, and yeah Huw has headed to other directions a bit,

some races are now struggling with logging eg the Kowalksi etc in Canberra, however don't think logging impacted this one and think the council may have had an impact, eg how much they used the main town etc race weekend, however that was the vibe, this year its all being held in the paddocks etc not main street...

however in all 12 years found all the locals eg shops etc very welcoming and friendly

i know some organisors get grants from councils to pull races into towns, maybe they use to get one that has dried up? who knows, always sad to see races dissappear, especially ones that are more like community events then races

11 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

i know some organisors get grants from councils to pull races into towns, maybe they use to get one that has dried up? who knows, always sad to see races dissappear, especially ones that are more like community events then races

who knows....some of it is natural attrition like what has happened at times with triathlons.....

some years the entries sold out in July within hours whereas this week they were still open till last minute...

some mtbers are realising you can go ride the trails without paying the $120 entry fee and still having great time....

there will always be mixed reasons, however yeah it was a great community event etc..

I finished 8hr 11min for the full fling. 113km with 2143m climbing.

set some personal records: longest mtb race, longest time on a bike in a race.

That was one trough race, with the most technical trail between about 90 and 105km

Some really nice trails in the Wingello  forest.

• Like 3