Parkside

Pedals: clipless vs flats

Just wondering what pedals people are running for XC, trail, all mountain general riding not involving a chairlift. Have always gone with SPDs since for ever, I know Slowy liked Crank Bros back in the day, anyone have any strong opinions on different clipless pedal setups or riding flat pedals, seems to be more popular among the cool kids now? If riding flats, what shoes do you wear.

Will need to replace cleats and pedals soon, very beat up, hence the market research. 

Still use spd, just simple and work

If lots of mud then crank brothers have some good options my son tells me

I ride flats. Mainly because im a numpty and like to easily put a foot down, or get off and run it. More willing to try more stuff.

But i also really like that i can move my foot around forward and back for different feel pedalling or bracing on downhilly bits

If you've never ridden flats you'll be surprised how much you rely on being attached to your bike. Took me a while to get used to flats but now I'd never go back to being clipped in.

On 03/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, Chookman said:

If you've never ridden flats you'll be surprised how much you rely on being attached to your bike. Took me a while to get used to flats but now I'd never go back to being clipped in.

noted the heads up re the 5:10's on FB.  Fit wise are they a big or small shoe? I wear 44.5 in all brands of running shoe and they only have 44 or 45 in stock, any suggestions? Don't particularly want to chock them out with a fat sock in summer if I don't have tp

Edited by Parkside

My current flats set up is Race Face  Atlas pedals and Shimano AM700 shoes. Shoes are ugly af, but the flap is awesome for keeping out prickles and crap.  Plus, for tris, i can have elastic laces and use the flaps to cinch up, making for an easier transition.. still butt ugly tho.

The combo rivals clipless for stickiness and control

Ive heard the 5 10 freerider contact are the bees knees. Just pricey! 

1 hour ago, fiftyplus said:

For a cheaper alternative, you could also try Vans skate shoes with the waffle sole. 

Its all about the pedals. No shoe will work well on a crap pedal. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Parkside said:

noted the heads up re the 5:10's on FB.  Fit wise are they a big or small shoe? I wear 44.5 in all brands of running shoe and they only have 44 or 45 in stock, any suggestions? Don't particularly want to chock them out with a fat sock in summer if I don't have tp

Sorry, just saw your post. Impact vxi's are a roomy fit but lengthwise they tend to run very close to Shimano.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:33 PM, Turts said:

My current flats set up is Race Face  Atlas pedals and Shimano AM700 shoes. Shoes are ugly af, but the flap is awesome for keeping out prickles and crap.  Plus, for tris, i can have elastic laces and use the flaps to cinch up, making for an easier transition.. still butt ugly tho.

The combo rivals clipless for stickiness and control

Ive heard the 5 10 freerider contact are the bees knees. Just pricey! 

Freerider contacts are very grippy and the smooth patch in the middle makes it easy to reposition your foot. Only problem is they get chewed up pretty quick. I had a pair before I switched to Impact vxi's and they lasted around 6 months. I was using them 5 times per week though!

Wait for Chain reaction to have a special or use us code NEW10 and checkout as a guest to get $15 off.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:27 PM, Turts said:

Its all about the pedals. No shoe will work well on a crap pedal. 

Any shoe will work with good pedals. Running shoes probably won't last long though. I run DMR vaults with my 5:10's and they are solid as! They also do nasty things to your shins if you are unlucky enough to lose your footing!

5 10 freerider ELC's also look good. Only wiggle and crc tho

On 11/12/2017 at 8:06 PM, Chookman said:

Any shoe will work with good pedals. Running shoes probably won't last long though. I run DMR vaults with my 5:10's and they are solid as! They also do nasty things to your shins if you are unlucky enough to lose your footing!

Vaults and 5:10s in transit. Maybe should have included some shin guards also.

3 hours ago, Parkside said:

Vaults and 5:10s in transit. Maybe should have included some shin guards also.

You're not using your soccer ones any more so you're sorted.

Hmmm maybe! Put it this way: after a few whacks in the shins it’ll make you more conscious of what you are doing with your feet! You have a dropper don’t you? Every techy downhill, jump and drop, get your seat down and think light hands, heavy feet. Some people wedge their feet slightly to get more grip ie. back foot toes slightly down; leading foot heel down. 

2 hours ago, Chookman said:

Hmmm maybe! Put it this way: after a few whacks in the shins it’ll make you more conscious of what you are doing with your feet! You have a dropper don’t you? Every techy downhill, jump and drop, get your seat down and think light hands, heavy feet. Some people wedge their feet slightly to get more grip ie. back foot toes slightly down; leading foot heel down. 

no dropper! Just a 26" HT

On 14/11/2017 at 10:09 PM, Parkside said:

no dropper! Just a 26" HT

Stick a dropper on and it would be a weapon! Can’t imagine riding flats without a dropper... actually can’t imagine riding without a dropper period! 

5 hours ago, Chookman said:

Stick a dropper on and it would be a weapon! Can’t imagine riding flats without a dropper... actually can’t imagine riding without a dropper period! 

Yes that is next on my list.

I have a dropper on my Trek. 

Last weekend it went partway down, and stayed there.  Stuck fast.   

I put the whole post up so I could ride home, OK, and dropped it back to the shop (Saturday).

Bike shop guy contacted Trek, had it replaced and it was ready for pickup by Thursday. Can't fault that. Especially since the post needed to be shipped here.

5 hours ago, Turts said:

I have a dropper on my Trek. 

Last weekend it went partway down, and stayed there.  Stuck fast.   

I put the whole post up so I could ride home, OK, and dropped it back to the shop (Saturday).

Bike shop guy contacted Trek, had it replaced and it was ready for pickup by Thursday. Can't fault that. Especially since the post needed to be shipped here.

Is it a Rockshox reverb post? Most problematic dropper ever made. After you've sent it back 3 or 4 times you'll do what most others do and put something else on like a KS Lev or Bikeyoke Revive. Hopefully yours will be an anomaly and actually work well! :) 

1 hour ago, Chookman said:

Is it a Rockshox reverb post? Most problematic dropper ever made. After you've sent it back 3 or 4 times you'll do what most others do and put something else on like a KS Lev or Bikeyoke Revive. Hopefully yours will be an anomaly and actually work well! :) 

Bontrager Drop Line.

(unless it all comes from the same place? with different markings?)