Jump to content
FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Turts said:

How do u pause a workout? Say you need to answer the door or something?

Don't let the doorbell interrupt your zwifting

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Turts said:

How do u pause a workout? Say you need to answer the door or something?

Great question. And I'll get about making a short tip video on this one. 

There's a "II" pause button on the bottom menu bar (press up arrow on PC/Mac) and one in the Companion App if you're running that at the same time you're on Zwift. Works well in solo workouts. Not so well for group workouts. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Don't let the doorbell interrupt your zwifting

^ The correct answer. Unless it's "I was wondering if I could have a few moments of your time to discuss Kickr vs Neo"..... then I've got all day to chat! ;)

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gplama said:

Great question. And I'll get about making a short tip video on this one. 

There's a "II" pause button on the bottom menu bar (press up arrow on PC/Mac) and one in the Companion App if you're running that at the same time you're on Zwift. Works well in solo workouts. Not so well for group workouts. 

 

Cool ta. 

I did manage t

 Run the companin ap today, when I used my tablet as the wifi hotspot j stead of my modem. But...... I stoppednlookjng at it as it showed significantly different power than the real thing. And had some weird imaginary cadence as well.

Is that just me? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Don't let the doorbell interrupt your zwifting

Good point. Toilet break? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Turts said:

Good point. Toilet break? 

You're a triathlete, great opportunity to practice peeing on the bike.  :smile1:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, roxii said:

You're a triathlete, great opportunity to practice peeing on the bike.  :smile1:

Just beat me to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Turts said:

 Run the companin ap today, when I used my tablet as the wifi hotspot j stead of my modem. But...... I stoppednlookjng at it as it showed significantly different power than the real thing. And had some weird imaginary cadence as well.

Is that just me? 

Power on the Companion App should be the same as on-screen. Maybe 1 second lag, max... Cadence.... should be 1:1 from your cadence sensor. Without a sensor it'll estimate cadence on screen but report "--".  (Bonus round: With a cadence sensor that's broken reading 0rpm you'll scoot along like a motorbike without your legs turning. It'll confuse anyone you'll pass.) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gplama said:

Power on the Companion App should be the same as on-screen. Maybe 1 second lag, max... Cadence.... should be 1:1 from your cadence sensor. Without a sensor it'll estimate cadence on screen but report "--".  (Bonus round: With a cadence sensor that's broken reading 0rpm you'll scoot along like a motorbike without your legs turning. It'll confuse anyone you'll pass.) 

 

Companion ap was definately out by more than that. I'll have another go tomorrow. 

I haven't fitted the cadence sensor yet, so the laptop was giving me  -. Companion ap had me spinnin along at some high rpm's! 

I'll bring the cadence sensor on b4 tomorrows session  and well sèe. 

 

Thanks mate! 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Turts said:

Companion ap was definately out by more than that. I'll have another go tomorrow. 

I haven't fitted the cadence sensor yet, so the laptop was giving me  -. Companion ap had me spinnin along at some high rpm's! 

I'll bring the cadence sensor on b4 tomorrows session  and well sèe. 

 

Thanks mate! 

I never run the app these days but when I did, it was always very close to what was on screen, maybe one second and one watt difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roxii said:

You're a triathlete, great opportunity to practice peeing on the bike.  :smile1:

dont be sending the kickr back to me for warranty after you've pissed all over it :yucky: 

  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

#seriousinsect #committed

#whatittakes #believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, willie said:

dont be sending the kickr back to me for warranty after you've pissed all over it :yucky: 

But, but, ........ surely they're made to  take it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

There was a guy in a ride this week who had 400 FTP and weighed 120 Kg

How do you  know their weight?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

zwift power for stats and places

Oh right. I haven’t joined that but I might over winter when I do more races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Oh right. I haven’t joined that but I might over winter when I do more races.

It's fun as you get to see where you placed and get lots of good stats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It's fun as you get to see where you placed and get lots of good stats

Yeah been a bit frustrated trying to see where I came as I only had an idea by the rider banner on the side. Will investigate after IM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FatPom said:

Yeah been a bit frustrated trying to see where I came as I only had an idea by the rider banner on the side. Will investigate after IM

It's good and easy and free, plus you can see which local fatties are lying about their weight

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens if I start a 4hr ride in Watopia and the schedule says that it changes to Innsbruck halfway through...? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

What happens if I start a 4hr ride in Watopia and the schedule says that it changes to Innsbruck halfway through...? 

You'll remain on that course. If you sign up for an event on another course it'll switch courses to the event. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/08/2018 at 8:38 AM, gplama said:

Great question. And I'll get about making a short tip video on this one. 

There's a "II" pause button on the bottom menu bar (press up arrow on PC/Mac) and one in the Companion App if you're running that at the same time you're on Zwift. Works well in solo workouts. Not so well for group workouts. 

 

Actually now, whether it's the cadence sensor making the difference?

When I stop, it auto pauses. 

Happy days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

What happens if I start a 4hr ride in Watopia and the schedule says that it changes to Innsbruck halfway through...? 

you will be sad as innsbruck is hilly

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gplama said:

You'll remain on that course. If you sign up for an event on another course it'll switch courses to the event. 

 

Awesome thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, maybe I'm being dumb (don't answer!) but I wanted to do a Step test  on Zwift the other day and could not see it listed anywhere in the Workout section.  Is it not a Zwift 'thing'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, FatPom said:

OK, maybe I'm being dumb (don't answer!) but I wanted to do a Step test  on Zwift the other day and could not see it listed anywhere in the Workout section.  Is it not a Zwift 'thing'?

It's not. They provide the 20 minute test.... which is the WORST thing you can feed to someone who's new to cycling and has no idea how to pace themselves maximally over that duration. TrainerRoad nails is with the ramp test. 

Dr SLane and I have put together a step test protocol for Zwift. There's a few things to do to make the system 'work' for the test. It's all detailed here: https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-do-step-test-on-zwift-pb-hptek.html

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, gplama said:

It's not. They provide the 20 minute test.... which is the WORST thing you can feed to someone who's new to cycling and has no idea how to pace themselves maximally over that duration. TrainerRoad nails is with the ramp test. 

Dr SLane and I have put together a step test protocol for Zwift. There's a few things to do to make the system 'work' for the test. It's all detailed here: https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-do-step-test-on-zwift-pb-hptek.html

 

Cheers mate, I thought that might be the case. i will watch the clip tonight and give it a bash on the weekend :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gplama said:

It's not. They provide the 20 minute test.... which is the WORST thing you can feed to someone who's new to cycling and has no idea how to pace themselves maximally over that duration. TrainerRoad nails is with the ramp test. 

Dr SLane and I have put together a step test protocol for Zwift. There's a few things to do to make the system 'work' for the test. It's all detailed here: https://gplama.blogspot.com/2016/07/how-to-do-step-test-on-zwift-pb-hptek.html

 

I find newbies don't go so well on an incremental protocol either, even though on an automated system it removes the pacing element. Newbies tend not to know how to manage the back end of such a test and usually fail well before their limits are reached.

Like most things, people go better after an initial exposure and learning from their prior experience and such tests usually fail to ascertain a newbie's real physiological capacity.

If you are that new to cycling then I'd suggest performance tests are not something to be concerned with. Much more important things to be focussed on at that stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

I find newbies don't go so well on an incremental protocol either, even though on an automated system it removes the pacing element. Newbies tend not to know how to manage the back end of such a test and usually fail well before their limits are reached.

Like most things, people go better after an initial exposure and learning from their prior experience and such tests usually fail to ascertain a newbie's real physiological capacity.

If you are that new to cycling then I'd suggest performance tests are not something to be concerned with. Much more important things to be focussed on at that stage.

Valid points. The part I like about the step/ramp tests is that failure is part of the process. 

Totally agree on the focus on performance testing for those new to cycling... it can be intimidating. The issue being that platforms such as Zwift rely on that damn FTP number for everything in workouts. There should be an 'on boarding' process for new cyclists and workouts, imo. Throw people into SIM or Level more and just display prompts/advice/basics like cadence, gear changing, breathing, mental focus tasks for a few weeks. Tracking their progress then moving them onto the more serious side of things once there's a measured improvement. 

Getting a bike, a trainer, and being told to ride until your eyes bleed isn't the experience that keeps people coming back for more. 

For some reason with all this new tech, big data, and AI, we're still stuck years in the past. There's so much more that could be done.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

question on set up: The fan, where do you have it blowing?

Now i hate being in a draft or being cold. I have a large 18" fan from Bunnings which i use, looking for best placement

Directly in front of me i have a desk with Laptop and extra monitor, so can't go there.

Is it better at side or back and blowing air on legs or upper body?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

question on set up: The fan, where do you have it blowing?

Now i hate being in a draft or being cold. I have a large 18" fan from Bunnings which i use, looking for best placement

Directly in front of me i have a desk with Laptop and extra monitor, so can't go there.

Is it better at side or back and blowing air on legs or upper body?

I have mind to left (as I'm looking at from the bike) and angle it so that it blows on the length of my torso. i read somewhere that this is better than head on because it's cooling a larger surface area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I have mind to left (as I'm looking at from the bike) and angle it so that it blows on the length of my torso. i read somewhere that this is better than head on because it's cooling a larger surface area.

Also depends on bike... I had an ideal setup when I had the triathlon bike in as I spent most of my time in aero. Had to change it for the roadie that's on at the moment in LCW prep. 

When summer rolls around I'll go for the 3 fan option again. One in front and off to the side, one on the side on the floor blowing up and the one from the back for the bum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow. Signing up for the 7 day trial and see how I like it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Katz said:

I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow. Signing up for the 7 day trial and see how I like it. 

Zwift is pretty great. Just finished my 7 day trial. My main gripe is the course profile graph is tiny and sucks and tells you very little about what's coming up and how long to go etc. 

I'd pay up but since it's getting warmer I'll just use grand road tours first to see how I like it for a while. It's got less people on there (which did make zwift fun and motivating) but there are some real courses and it's totally free at the moment.   Will see if that will do me the summer :) 

I

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KieranR said:

is Zwift down at the moment? cant seem to log in........thats how useless I am

5/10/18 1810 Perth time

I was on during that time with no issues mate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a go at a VeloReality demo ride. Excellent video quality.

I had attempted to use it previously but the old PC I have to drive my Computrainer wasn't able to cope with the graphics demands and it didn't run. It couldn't run Zwift either. It was a 2nd hand office computer box I picked up cheap many years ago to run the CT and it handles the software like PerfPro just fine.

So to try Zwift I picked up a cheap refurbed NVIDIA Graphics card, plugged it in so I could give Zwift a go and it worked fine but I didn't continue with Zwift as it only took a couple of short rides and I was causing injury to my stump again.

It's since healed and so I thought I'd try to ride again and did the Veloreality test ride to see if the graphics card would make it work. It did.

It operates in real course mode so the video runs at the speed you are riding and trainer resistance is set according to your entered weight and the road gradient. I had to apply some strict limits to maximum gradient in the software since riding up the Paterberg for real I'd fall off!

I think I'll get some of their videos and try those for a bit rather than Zwift. There are both 1080 HD and 4K videos if you have the system to show them. While my PC and old HD TV screen I use for my trainer don't show 4K, I tested a 4K video to see if it would still work. It did.

If I can manage to ride regularly without injury then I may come back to Zwift. If riding becomes a regular thing and I can stay injury free then I may consider hooking it up to the 4K big screen in the man cave.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

I had a go at a VeloReality demo ride. Excellent video quality.

I had attempted to use it previously but the old PC I have to drive my Computrainer wasn't able to cope with the graphics demands and it didn't run. It couldn't run Zwift either. It was a 2nd hand office computer box I picked up cheap many years ago to run the CT and it handles the software like PerfPro just fine.

So to try Zwift I picked up a cheap refurbed NVIDIA Graphics card, plugged it in so I could give Zwift a go and it worked fine but I didn't continue with Zwift as it only took a couple of short rides and I was causing injury to my stump again.

It's since healed and so I thought I'd try to ride again and did the Veloreality test ride to see if the graphics card would make it work. It did.

It operates in real course mode so the video runs at the speed you are riding and trainer resistance is set according to your entered weight and the road gradient. I had to apply some strict limits to maximum gradient in the software since riding up the Paterberg for real I'd fall off!

I think I'll get some of their videos and try those for a bit rather than Zwift. There are both 1080 HD and 4K videos if you have the system to show them. While my PC and old HD TV screen I use for my trainer don't show 4K, I tested a 4K video to see if it would still work. It did.

If I can manage to ride regularly without injury then I may come back to Zwift. If riding becomes a regular thing and I can stay injury free then I may consider hooking it up to the 4K big screen in the man cave.

Good luck Alex, hope it works - pain free 😊

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Managed half an hour today along the (virtual) coast of Corsica. Don't seem to have had any issues but can take a little time to manifest.

My next ride will be through the Arches National Park in Utah. I've actually been on that road for real so it will be interesting to see it on a video.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Katz said:

I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow. Signing up for the 7 day trial and see how I like it. 

Was not aware it would take such a long time to download and update.........*waiting, waiting*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

Thanks. Managed half an hour today along the (virtual) coast of Corsica. Don't seem to have had any issues but can take a little time to manifest.

And manifest it did. Awake for hours overnight with phantom pains.

Imagine someone jabbing a knitting needle into the top of your foot every 30-60 seconds. The shooting pain makes my whole body jump and it's kinda hard to sleep. I can sense exactly what part of my foot the pain emanates from even though there is no foot.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alex Simmons said:

And manifest it did. Awake for hours overnight with phantom pains.

Imagine someone jabbing a knitting needle into the top of your foot every 30-60 seconds. The shooting pain makes my whole body jump and it's kinda hard to sleep. I can sense exactly what part of my foot the pain emanates from even though there is no foot.

Thats a bummer! Whats the plan - let it settle then try again?

Edited by Surfer
Sp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I did a session and I quite enjoyed it. I will definitely be back and will more than likely sign up as a paid member after the trial period. I feel like I still have so very much to learn about how it works and what can be done with it. Looks like loads of fun though. Stikman is uncertain if he wants me to be using it. He is scared I might end up faster than him! 😂

Does anyone remember the old PC games Myst and Riven and the other one? The Swift World sounds are quite reminiscent of the game sounds in those old games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Thats a bummer! Whats the plan - let it settle then try again?

I did another 30-min today to see what happens.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×