FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

New course tonight. Might have to go for a ride. @gplamahas done a run down on them on his YouTube channel. Looks awesome 

1 minute ago, FFF1077 said:

New course tonight. Might have to go for a ride. @gplamahas done a run down on them on his YouTube channel. Looks awesome 

I haven’t seen the Norway one yet!

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

I haven’t seen the Norway one yet!

It's cool. I only did 20min easy, started the climb. Great to have fresh scenery. 

OK, so I ventured into the world of zwift this morning.

Had downloaded the android beta version ap on my phone.

It found my trainer as soon as I started pedalling, and was super easy to use.   Wow.

Only issue was when I got off to let the tradies in (replacing my fence after someone decided to go trough it when I was away), it wouldn't reconnect.

Turns out I had to get my phones Bluetooth to unpair.  The ZWIFT found it again easily.

Recon I might be doing  bit more zwifting if the android version keeps on trucking! 

• Like 2

Someone gave me a thumbs up on zwift this morning, i didnt know you can do that, who has time for that anyway

25 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Someone gave me a thumbs up on zwift this morning, i didnt know you can do that, who has time for that anyway

Yeah some people are more fun/social on it than others. All good. You can actually unlock a thumbs up challenge just by giving random thumbs up. It frustrates me sometimes that people treat it as a game rather than a training platform.......then I realise that thought was ridiculous because it's virtual reality cycling ffs 😂😂😂

I found turts 👍👍

I'm Edgar A Poe. Or E.Poe is my screen name 😂😁😁😁🤘

• Haha 1

I spotted an A P on the names on the side, no idea if it was the A P or not, the companion app is pretty handy, saves me reaching over the bars to choose which direction i want to turn.  Im still learning, last week i built a session according to my TP  plan and it was FTP intervals, so i started and then i ended up climbing a bloody mountain, managed to hold the power but no the RPM haha

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I spotted an A P on the names on the side, no idea if it was the A P or not, the companion app is pretty handy, saves me reaching over the bars to choose which direction i want to turn.  Im still learning, last week i built a session according to my TP  plan and it was FTP intervals, so i started and then i ended up climbing a bloody mountain, managed to hold the power but no the RPM haha

AP doesnt believe in training indoors.... nobody ever got to Kona by doing that

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Turts said:

OK, so I ventured into the world of zwift this morning.

OK, so now I've lost my ZWIFT virginity, I have a question. 

In the instance of running a bike with a powermeter (powertap wheel) on a non-smart trainer, what sort of displays do you see? And how do you know what you should be doing to ride the course, if you trainer isn't fiddling with the resistance for you?

28 minutes ago, Turts said:

In the instance of running a bike with a powermeter (powertap wheel) on a non-smart trainer, what sort of displays do you see? And how do you know what you should be doing to ride the course, if you trainer isn't fiddling with the resistance for you?

You see all the usual 'displays'?

you see your little self go up hills and you see the HR, power and cadence you are putting out.

Its just that when you see yourself go up hills there is no resistance on the trainer so I guess to make it more realistic you could change to big gear and grind more slowly up hill...

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Having a smart trainer makes it hard. Some days it's good.... Other days that sucks. 

Helps time pass though 

1 minute ago, FFF1077 said:

Having a smart trainer makes it hard. Some days it's good.... Other days that sucks. 

Helps time pass though 

If you really want hard, set your trainer to 100%, it’s pretty umm, hard :lol:

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

Yeah I have made a few sessions in the workout builder. It is funny if you miss a turn and head up a mountain you are basically going nowhere 😂

Like this morning was easy. At one point I was going 40kmh doing 85w 😂😂😂 love the reality of that..... LOL 

Just now, FatPom said:

If you really want hard, set your trainer to 100%, it’s pretty umm, hard :lol:

Hahaha no way 

Did that when I got the trainer.... Could barely turn the pedals over 😂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Helps time pass though 

So easy enough to make the most of zwift with a dumb trainer? 

7 minutes ago, Turts said:

So easy enough to make the most of zwift with a dumb trainer? 

using a dumb trainer would be similar to watching a movie, TDF coverage or netflix... No immersion in the game/training...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pieman said:

using a dumb trainer would be similar to watching a movie, TDF coverage or netflix... No immersion in the game/training...

Turts, this. 

You can watch it happen but you do wonder "what does this hill feel like on a Kickr" 

Better than Trainer Road for entertainment. TR is for getting fit.... LOL 

With a dumb trainer you just put out what ever power you want and the person on the screen will move along at a speed that is meant to represent that power. Like someone said similar to watching a movie

with a smart trainer the resistance will get harder and easier each time you go up or down a hill. Similar to riding outside 

Yeah. Just not sure I can justify the extra moolah. 

Might just change gears

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Turts, this. 

You can watch it happen but you do wonder "what does this hill feel like on a Kickr" 

Better than Trainer Road for entertainment. TR is for getting fit.... LOL 

What have you got? 

5 hours ago, pieman said:

Anyone use zwift on smart rollers for the full experience? 

(I've never been on rollers  edore. Never even touched one. But i hear they can be tricky! )

13 hours ago, Turts said:

Anyone use zwift on smart rollers for the full experience? 

(I've never been on rollers  edore. Never even touched one. But i hear they can be tricky! )

Search for GPlama on YouTube. He's done a test on them 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Just now, FFF1077 said:

Search for GPlama on YouTube. He's done a test on them 👍👍

Yeah, my arse is still recovering from doing the Alpe du Zwift on smart rollers. It's fun... but as you can't get up and stretch the gooch takes a pounding.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎7‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, KieranR said:

I got one this morning too - from another Aussie.   Felt good.  Then I felt bad I wasn't doing it for anyone else!  I'm one of those people who gives tonnes of shoutouts on a tri course.  This could get interesting.

So the short version.  This took me hours last night.

Dug out my od (>5 yrs old) laptop.

Dug out my old Garmin 910XT for the Ant+ dongle.

Did all kinds of updates.

Connected it to my wifi modem and PM.

Did an hour on Zwift this morning, using my laptop.  

Thoroughly enjoyed it!  Think I might be dangerous on rollers.  Get so engrossed in the turns and stuff, I can see accidents going to happen when they arrive!

QUESTION:

Is there a way of seeing how far you have to go for the end of a climb?

I finally saw the little profile bit, but hard to tell how far that actually is.

I was only meant to do 45min or so this morning, but started a climb and wanted to finish. At 1:10 I gave up as I really had to get to work.   Was only 3 min late in the end but still.

7 minutes ago, Turts said:

So the short version.  This took me hours last night.

Dug out my od (>5 yrs old) laptop.

Dug out my old Garmin 910XT for the Ant+ dongle.

Did all kinds of updates.

Connected it to my wifi modem and PM.

Did an hour on Zwift this morning, using my laptop.  

Thoroughly enjoyed it!  Think I might be dangerous on rollers.  Get so engrossed in the turns and stuff, I can see accidents going to happen when they arrive!

QUESTION:

I finally saw the little profile bit, but hard to tell how far that actually is.

I was only meant to do 45min or so this morning, but started a climb and wanted to finish. At 1:10 I gave up as I really had to get to work.   Was only 3 min late in the end but still.

I think you can only see that if it is 'measured climb" where it will have the leaderboard down the side and your time will appear under all your other metrics at the top?

1 hour ago, Turts said:

QUESTION:

You get to know the climbs and how long you've got till the end. Alpe du Zwift counts down the corners ala Alpe d'Huez.

I also find that I keep an eye on metres climbed and have a vague memory of how many metres are in the various climbs and do a bit of mental arithmetic.

8 minutes ago, Gundy said:

You get to know the climbs and how long you've got till the end. Alpe du Zwift counts down the corners ala Alpe d'Huez.

I also find that I keep an eye on metres climbed and have a vague memory of how many metres are in the various climbs and do a bit of mental arithmetic.

Hmm ok. So first time around is just a big surprise! Pedal till it stops. 

Another q.

I'm still in the trial 7 days. 

Are all the courses available all the time when you have a subscription? Or only some at any one time?

I can only see half a dozen now. 

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Another q.

I'm still in the trial 7 days. 

Are all the courses available all the time when you have a subscription? Or only some at any one time?

I can only see half a dozen now. 

Yeah there's a schedule

https://zwiftinsider.com/schedule/

You can get around it using a date hack but I've never bothered.. some courses you can only access after you've achieved certain levels..

• Thanks 1

Just now, pieman said:

Is there anyway to see your average power during an interval or lap? 

Nope, not on the fly. You need to run a Garmin/Edge at the same time on your handlebars for that. 

1 minute ago, gplama said:

Nope, not on the fly. You need to run a Garmin/Edge at the same time on your handlebars for that. 

Yeah I figured as much. Any work being done to be able to customise data fields that you know of?

10 minutes ago, pieman said:

Yeah I figured as much. Any work being done to be able to customise data fields that you know of?

There has been little movement there for a few years. I'm campaigning to clear the screen of all the clutter.. rider lists, leader boards, 1/3 of the screen covered with information overload. Zero success in having any influence there though..... so the Garmin/Elemnt/whatever still lives on the handlebars indoors. 

• Thanks 1

@gplama

Why would my erg mode drop out during a workout? Internet issues? Or connection between the kickr and the computer? 

2 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

@gplama

Why would my erg mode drop out during a workout? Internet issues? Or connection between the kickr and the computer? 

That's all local, so it's Kickr and computer. Are you on AppleTV or iPad and using Bluetooth by any chance?

10 hours ago, gplama said:

That's all local, so it's Kickr and computer. Are you on AppleTV or iPad and using Bluetooth by any chance?

Na. 

Ant and a desktop. 

Hotspot from my mobile 

10 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Na. 

Ant and a desktop. 

Hotspot from my mobile 

If it's ANT+ drops then there's a few things to look at. 5mins49sec in to this video is a summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WvBJbyJHM

Also drop your dropout ride log.txt from /Documents/Zwift/logs into https://zwiftalizer.com/ and see if there's any major drops/screwups with the signals from your devices.

• Thanks 1

There are two things I can’t work how to do:

How start a new ride with shutting down and starting again? Very often I want to separate my cool down ride from the main ride and can’t do it quickly.

Also, if you select a ride from the course choices, how can you go back and change it once you’ve clicked ‘RIDE’ ?

this is using a MacBook with no companion app

Edited by FatPom

You can't, and you can't. 

If you're doing an event and ride 2-3km before it, it'll split that first part into a separate ride. For cooldowns, yep, start a new ride. Course choices are only on start up (from what I can work out). 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gplama said:

You can't, and you can't. 

If you're doing an event and ride 2-3km before it, it'll split that first part into a separate ride. For cooldowns, yep, start a new ride. Course choices are only on start up (from what I can work out). 

Cheers mate, I thought that might be the case.  I should be more decisive between clicking the route selection and getting on the bike but sometimes in that 10 seconds I feel like that mega pretzel maybe wasn’t the smartest choice. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I'm sick of Innusbruck

I got like that with London. Seemed like every time I logged on it was London. Did got a  lot better with the flat extended bit and Leith Hill. Maybe they will add some extras?

Just now, FatPom said:

I got like that with London. Seemed like every time I logged on it was London. Did got a  lot better with the flat extended bit and Leith Hill. Maybe they will add some extras?

Not sure I'm stuffing it up but I thought you could choose courses. Choice seems limited. The group rides I like use the same course, so it was London flat tonight

8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Not sure I'm stuffing it up but I thought you could choose courses. Choice seems limited. The group rides I like use the same course, so it was London flat tonight

You can choose different routes within the overall course but not the main course, as far as I know.

12 hours ago, FatPom said:

You can choose different routes within the overall course but not the main course, as far as I know.

You can *choose* the world with a bit of a hack - you may get lonely though.

• Like 2

New Kickr in my living room! Thanks Willie! !!!!!

👍👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2018 at 7:09 PM, Turts said:

New Kickr in my living room! Thanks Willie! !!!!!

👍👍👍

Me muchly likey zwifty on my new kickr. 

Took me a while to get it to pair though. Yes I had plugged it in......... just hadn't turned the powerpoint ON......... doh! 

Nice though. So smooth and quiet. Shits all over the wheel-on one I had. Can hear the zwift birds and everything. 

• Like 2

How do u pause a workout? Say you need to answer the door or something?