FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

I have an ant+ thingy but its still in the packet, i didn't need it when.

The quarq pairs with my Garmin edge no dramas, i presume thats done via Bluetooth

the quarq is using ANT+ to talk to the garmin (their protocol)

to get the quarq to talk to the ipad then need the ANT+ thingy. The quark may not be bluetooth

I just use the power meter on my kickr rather than the stages on my bike because of this

2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

to get the quarq to talk to the ipad then need the ANT+ thingy. The quark may not be bluetooth

I just use the power meter on my kickr rather than the stages on my bike because of this

But don't stages do bluetooth as well?  Pretty sure mine is..

19 minutes ago, pieman said:

But don't stages do bluetooth as well?  Pretty sure mine is..

quite possibly, but it just connected so i thought it was ant+, as that is how it connected to my 910xt.

It connected so i stopped worrying/analyzing/trying

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Everytime I think about upgrading in this line, l come back and read this thread. 

Sets me straight! 

• Like 1

Stages AND quarq will need ant+to talk to the ipad. 

Trainer will use the Bluetooth 

It's actually quite easy Turts. I managed 😂😂😂😂😂😂

42 minutes ago, Turts said:

Everytime I think about upgrading in this line, l come back and read this thread. 

Sets me straight! 

FB is rubbing off on you

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, pieman said:

FB is rubbing off on you

I'm not a technophobe. Just a bit dim.

My current set up is  tacx smart trainer, run by trainerroad ap on my phone.  My powertap wheel feeds the power to my garmin fenix 3 that uploads the session to TP.

I reckon that's all my tiny brain can handle! 

• Haha 1

So I don't have the thing to connect the iPad to the ant+ dongle, anyhow I've now unwrapped the ifs MacBook Air and I'm still retarded!

The ant + is plugged in and swift is flashing the ant+ symbol in the top left after I turned bluetooth off, so I know its recognising it, I've woken the quarq up but the swift is still not picking it up.  it is picking up the tacx when on bluetooth though.  I disconnect the bluetooth but still nothing?

the quarq is the sram red 22, before the Dzero came out

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

Problem solved! It’s working! Woohoo

Shut down and restart?  😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, pieman said:

Shut down and restart?  😁

Nah, spin the cranks forward and not backwards

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KieranR said:

Nah, spin the cranks forward and not backwards

haha, good work. Hope you enjoy it

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pieman said:

haha, good work. Hope you enjoy it

Probably not - got to do an FTP test shortly haha

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Might be a lightly used tacx flux for sale soon then.. 😉

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, KieranR said:

That's so old skool.

The ramp test is where its at.

Even Cranky does them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tyno said:

That's so old skool.

The ramp test is where its at.

Even Cranky does them.

I did it on zwift, 45 mins all up, I guess it ramped up for 20 mins and then the actual 20 min test kicked off.  I got 242 FTP score, never done one officially before, so I guess that’s my bench mark to build from

• Like 2

On 25/07/2018 at 12:51 AM, KieranR said:

I did it on zwift, 45 mins all up, I guess it ramped up for 20 mins and then the actual 20 min test kicked off.  I got 242 FTP score, never done one officially before, so I guess that’s my bench mark to build from

The races find to be the best place to test the FTP. The shorter ones, trying to hang onto the back of A grade are mental. Now I somehow managed to get into A grade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The races find to be the best place to test the FTP. The shorter ones, trying to hang onto the back of A grade are mental. Now I somehow managed to get into A grade.

Impressive.

I managed a Hare and Hounds in C grade and beat everyone in C and about 10riders in B.  Tried a flat out race in B and got dropped like a hot potato! Did another race where the system bumped me to B for that one race but low level cannon fodder other than that.:blush:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

Impressive.

I managed a Hare and Hounds in C grade and beat everyone in C and about 10riders in B.  Tried a flat out race in B and got dropped like a hot potato! Did another race where the system bumped me to B for that one race but low level cannon fodder other than that.:blush:

It won't last long. I did one of the 30 K in B. Was using it as an FTP test. Got beaten by one other B grader, but did over 4 w kg. No way I will be able to stay there or get much enjoyment out of being in A as it is beyond my capability

Seriously don't know how you folks get over 3w/kg.... 

I'm buggered staying at 2.5w/kg for any length of time 😂😂😂🙁😂😂

4 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I think the best I did was average 3.2 for 1hr17 mins. Was buggered after that. It’s really just building block. I’ve found some of thos workouts help and regulat TTing helps with the pain threshold.

i find holding anything over 3.4 in aero for long is pretty hard.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

ride so hard that you can't see anything because the sweat is blinding your eyes, your legs hurt and you want to puke

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

ride so hard that you can't see anything because the sweat is blinding your eyes, your legs hurt and you want to puke

No thanks. 

11 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Are you TUV5.0?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

No thanks. 

3 minutes ago, pieman said:

Are you TUV5.0?

Seriously guys, what Barry has described is fun. Described like that it doesn't sound it, but doing that type of thing every now & then not only helps your training, but it gives you a better idea of where your limit really is. Most people drastically underestimate their true limit, and so leave too much in the tank in shorter races such as OD's or even HIM.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Seriously guys, what Barry has described is fun. Described like that it doesn't sound it, but doing that type of thing every now & then not only helps your training, but it gives you a better idea of where your limit really is. Most people drastically underestimate their true limit, and so leave too much in the tank in shorter races such as OD's or even HIM.

wasnt disagreeing. Just sounds DIRECTLY from something that Mr Unicomb would have said...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pieman said:

wasnt disagreeing. Just sounds DIRECTLY from something that Mr Unicomb would have said...

I'm not tony (though he had some good points). On bike in last year or so, riding some hard bunches and once I got on zwift I learned to hurt even harder.

Smart trainer was very good, add in having wheels to follow its awesome. On the bright side you don't tend to puke until you get off the bike and if you have a good fan the sweat won't blind you.

Without sounding born again, this stuff is good, never thought I would be over 300 FTP, most people can but you have to hurt and like it

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

I'm not tony (though he had some good points). On bike in last year or so, riding some hard bunches and once I got on zwift I learned to hurt even harder.

Smart trainer was very good, add in having wheels to follow its awesome. On the bright side you don't end to puke until you get off the bike and if you have a good fan the sweat won't blind you.

Without sounding born again, this stuff is good, never thought I would be over 300 FTP, most people can but you have to hurt and like it

Agree with the wheels to follow thing. I can push harder for longer trying to stick with one of those tron bike riding dudes.... LOL bloody show off's 😂👍

I run TT bike config 100% of the time, so I get no drafting at all but like to see how long I can hang with the studs.  (not very!)

I'm 21k mtrs away from the Tron bike but I'm guessing there is no TT version!

13 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Agree with the wheels to follow thing. I can push harder for longer trying to stick with one of those tron bike riding dudes.... LOL bloody show off's 😂👍

I started in D, but I got bumped to B after race 1, just trying to hang on. Then each race or training  ride has been a suffer fest as B all try to hang with A.

Did the 4 week Ftp booster programme. It is great, by week 3 was hanging for longer, it hurt heaps, but I could do 320 average for a good amount of time. Upside of smart trainers is even going down hills there is always resistance to push against. Not so realistic but you can keep the effort going down hills easier.

Wow climb 50 k just to get a virtual bike

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I started in D, but I got bumped to B after race 1, just trying to hang on. Then each race or training  ride has been a suffer fest as B all try to hang with A.

Did the 4 week Ftp booster programme. It is great, by week 3 was hanging for longer, it hurt heaps, but I could do 320 average for a good amount of time. Upside of smart trainers is even going down hills there is always resistance to push against. Not so realistic but you can keep the effort going down hills easier.

NEXT winter is looking like a Zwift/Winterfish buffet 👌

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

The other thing that's not realistic is taking hairpins at 85kph :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve got my Tron bike 😌

Something wrong with it though. Seems to be a bit slow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pieman said:

Just lost my alpe du zwift virginity.. not fun..

I've done it twice on Zwift and once in real life.  Times were very similar.

8 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Why the sad reaction Bazza? 

winterfish and lots of swimming makes me sad at the thought of it

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

I've done it twice on Zwift and once in real life.  Times were very similar.

If that's what it feels like IRL then I dont want to go there for my 50th after all... 😉

Also, for some reason Strava didnt have me going over the  full segment despite doing the tour de oz alpe stage  so i dont even know what my time was.. apart from being slow

Zwift won't incorporate in-game roll down calibration for the Computrainer (which is available in other trainer software). That's what I call suckerific. As a result I see no point in continuing to use Zwift until they sort that out.

If that's what it feels like IRL then I dont want to go there for my 50th after all... 😉

Also, for some reason Strava didnt have me going over the  full segment despite doing the tour de oz alpe stage  so i dont even know what my time was.. apart from being slow

I’ve done pretty much all the big name climbs in the Alps and a few besides and TBH, I wouldn’t go back to AdH, it’s a bit of a tourist tacky crap hole.  It’s like Weston Super Mare with hills.

18 hours ago, pieman said:

Just lost my alpe du zwift virginity.. not fun..

so how do you get access to ride Alp du zwift, when i go in it is not an option, is is only available above a certain level?

15 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I’ve done pretty much all the big name climbs in the Alps and a few besides and TBH, I wouldn’t go back to AdH, it’s a bit of a tourist tacky crap hole.  It’s like Weston Super Mare with hills.

I guess what I should have said is that I probably shouldn't go anywhere where climbing more than 30 mins in one stretch is required...

10 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

so how do you get access to ride Alp du zwift, when i go in it is not an option, is is only available above a certain level?

Yeah, level 9 and above I think? or do an event that is going up there...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

I think Jungle Loop is level 10, for some reason I thought AdH was 12 but can’t remember.. what really sucks is the 30 mins of riding to get to it!

2 minutes ago, Limited said:

Gplama has a vid showing the quickest way there. Think he even shows a shortcut 

Sweet. Last time I was knackered before I started.  I don’t use the companion app, mainly because it never played nice with my phone and I found it distracting.

i just set the course at the start and go. There are loads more options at the start now which has made it heaps better. If I really want to change course I just hop off the bike and use the track pad on the MacBook

I did my first event this morning 

1-4w/kg tour of Oz. 

Came 12th 

Nearly spewed. 

Then regen run off. 

Nearly fell over from jelly legs in the driveway 😂😂

It was fun though 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I did my first event this morning 

1-4w/kg tour of Oz. 

Came 12th 

Nearly spewed. 

Then regen run off. 

Nearly fell over from jelly legs in the driveway 😂😂

It was fun though 👍

What stage?  I ended up doing 4 of the 7 stages and came pretty much exactly halfway in each one, 60/120, 22/46 etc.. I wasnt really trying to race them though as i dont  have the fitness for that.. in each stage there seemed to be a really fast group and then often a slower group but I usually got stuck in no mans land between them with the occasional rider to draft off...

3 hours ago, pieman said:

What stage?  I ended up doing 4 of the 7 stages and came pretty much exactly halfway in each one, 60/120, 22/46 etc.. I wasnt really trying to race them though as i dont  have the fitness for that.. in each stage there seemed to be a really fast group and then often a slower group but I usually got stuck in no mans land between them with the occasional rider to draft off...

Just the 12pm est stage today...? 

25+riders I think? 

Yeah I was in no man's land. Just chased the figures off in the distance. 

I did the first 5 stages and missed the final two due to travel. So caught up stages 6 and 7 the last two nights. Not the easiest back-to-back stages. Plenty of climbing!

8 hours ago, Shuffla said:

I did the first 5 stages and missed the final two due to travel. So caught up stages 6 and 7 the last two nights. Not the easiest back-to-back stages. Plenty of climbing!

Ouch.. they both wrecked me a week apart..