FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

1 minute ago, skinnee said:

Needs Apple TV 

Cool. We just purchased a cheap Hisense TV & it allows you to down load apps & has everything our Apple TV has. I thought you might have been able to down load the app.

cant be bothered re reading this.   How do i find mates on this easy.  we manually did it  yesterday and manually started at the same time on the flat course by riding each other down.  But in the find other riders box before you start, it had 100's of names and we couldnt see each other ?   There must be an easy way that this hubbard cant see of finding each other.     

Also can we do our own group ride which I figure would make it even easier, just be there at 5 so to speak ?

on the Zwift mobile link app mark add them through more -> find zwifters.   You can then mark them as a favourite and will get notification when they are riding.  When you log into Zwift to ride they will appear as riders at the top and you select to ride with them and you start next to them on course.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/218036103--How-do-I-follow-ride-with-a-friend-

1 hour ago, skinnee said:

on the Zwift mobile link app mark add them through more -> find zwifters.   You can then mark them as a favourite and will get notification when they are riding.  When you log into Zwift to ride they will appear as riders at the top and you select to ride with them and you start next to them on course.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/218036103--How-do-I-follow-ride-with-a-friend-

High 5 cheers.

Is ERG mode harder than normal Zwift riding? 

When I first got Zwift I  created a few of my Trainerroad workouts in there but kept grinding to a halt once cadence dropped below 80 it got hard really fast so went back to doing workout son TR and just using Zwift as entertainment/measure kms....

Last few times I have been doing workouts on erg mode on Trainerroad (while free riding Zwift using just PM and not pairing the Kickr) and exploded/ground to halt thinking I am spent. Decided to end TR workout and paired kickr on Zwift to keep riding/cool down and ended up doing another 15-20 mins at the target levels (97% FTP) while riding around zwift changing gears..

I think that the erg mode helps make it easier to hit numbers but definitely seems harder due to the 'braking effect'...

Anybody else?

Maybe I am just wimping out..

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

Is ERG mode harder than normal Zwift riding? 

When I first got Zwift I  created a few of my Trainerroad workouts in there but kept grinding to a halt once cadence dropped below 80 it got hard really fast so went back to doing workout son TR and just using Zwift as entertainment/measure kms....

Last few times I have been doing workouts on erg mode on Trainerroad (while free riding Zwift using just PM and not pairing the Kickr) and exploded/ground to halt thinking I am spent. Decided to end TR workout and paired kickr on Zwift to keep riding/cool down and ended up doing another 15-20 mins at the target levels (97% FTP) while riding around zwift changing gears..

I think that the erg mode helps make it easier to hit numbers but definitely seems harder due to the 'braking effect'...

Anybody else?

Maybe I am just wimping out..

Erg mode is definitely tougher. There's a YouTube video that GPlama did on the ins and outs of erg mode. 

In short - get a bigger gear up and rolling and it will "help". It's definitely tough though. 

8 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Erg mode is definitely tougher. There's a YouTube video that GPlama did on the ins and outs of erg mode. 

In short - get a bigger gear up and rolling and it will "help". It's definitely tough though. 

Yeah the 'transition' to higher power levels I have finally sorted out by spinning up but find that doing 20 mins at 95% , as I tire i might drop to 78 cadence and then it just plummets until i cant move the wheel..  but holding similar power in the intervals (AP or NP) in the game seemed much easier (although more variable overall)

2 hours ago, pieman said:

Yeah the 'transition' to higher power levels I have finally sorted out by spinning up but find that doing 20 mins at 95% , as I tire i might drop to 78 cadence and then it just plummets until i cant move the wheel..  but holding similar power in the intervals (AP or NP) in the game seemed much easier (although more variable overall)

That in game ease maybe the slider of how difficult Zwift is..? If you slide it all the way to the left... It's piss easy. Slide it all the way to the right and it's ****ing hard. 

Not sure how to tag @gplama in this? 

Thanks. I think the erg mode video explains it. "even spending 10mins at FTP can feel hard in erg mode.."

that slider setting shouldnt impact power though should it, just the actual feeling of inclines etc...?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pieman said:

that slider setting shouldnt impact power though should it, just the actual feeling of inclines etc...?

Correct. 

• Thanks 1

Little help (again) please. I don't have a PM but my Zwift/Elite Direto combo has my FTP at 245. I also recently did the ST Hilly Vanilla ride  which gave me the following:  

DISTANCE HRS MIN ELEVATION AVG WATTS
42.3 KM 1 19 516 M 243

I was completely shelled after that ride but if I wanted to use that data and the FTP of 245 to extrapolate into a long easy ride (say 4hrs) what kind of watts or % should I be looking at?  

I've never been great at working out zones and stuff and I've never done a Zwift ride past 2.5 hrs but have been missing some longer rides over winter.

Edited by FatPom

20 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Little help (again) please. I don't have a PM but my Zwift/Elite Direto combo has my FTP at 245. I also recently did the ST Hilly Vanilla ride  which gave me the following:  

DISTANCE HRS MIN ELEVATION AVG WATTS
42.3 KM 1 19 516 M 243

I was completely shelled after that ride but if I wanted to use that data and the FTP of 245 to extrapolate into a long easy ride (say 4hrs) what kind of watts or % should I be looking at?  

I've never been great at working out zones and stuff and I've never done a Zwift ride past 2.5 hrs but have been missing some longer rides over winter.

Here, try this training level calculator I made. You can use either your FTP, your 20-min max power or your Maximal Aerobic Power. Just choose FTP, 20-min or MAP button and move the slider to your power value.

In your case you can choose FTP and move the slider to 245W.

https://www.cyclecoach.com/calculator/

It generate training levels based on your chosen aerobic power anchor point.

A couple of things to note:

- in the training levels we suggest, the aerobic levels overlap. That's because it reflects reality of the continuum of intensity with adaptations, as well a day to day variability in our capabilities.

- The very upper levels may need tweaking for those with specific power profiles but that is not typically a concern for triathletes. We do that sort of thing when coaching an individual.

• Thanks 2

Bloody brilliant, thanks Alex! :)

One thing I noticed, at the lower intensities, the range is quite wide?

Yes, it's simply a physiological reality. It's a bit like the gap between the lower and upper lactate thresholds is fairly wide and quite malleable, and our ability to express capability varies from day to day, plus as I said before our aerobic levels overlap because in reality training levels are not really discrete, there is no sudden switch from one into another - the impact of intensity is on a continuum.

Training levels (or zones as some call them) are simply arbitrary boundaries we set and are more about convenience and aiding communication in conveying training plans, and so this is simply a reflection of that. It's a balance between having enough levels that enables one to focus attention on specific types of adaptations, advising on how hard to go (or not go) but not so many levels that it becomes unwieldy.

What matters is you do enough work at the right levels. Precisely nailing a specific wattage isn't that important when it comes to training. All that matters is you are working at about the right level for your intended ride, or section of a ride (e.g. intervals, hills).

Keep in mind that for the levels up to threshold or so, the reality is you will ride up/down the levels, how much depends on the type of ride and the variability of road gradient. Staying strictly within a level isn't necessary and it may be counterproductive. So treat the lower levels as a guide to the overall average and normalized power you might attain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

On Zwift to get HRM to connect do you need an Ant dongle

yes if you have no bluetooth on HRM on device using Zwift

So I bought a new Apple TV and did my very first Zwift riding this morning - very impressive.

After three years of using TrainerRoad I think I’m now a Zwift convert. So much more interactive, and given I do most of my riding indoors its made it more enjoyable.

7 hours ago, wombattri said:

So I bought a new Apple TV and did my very first Zwift riding this morning - very impressive.

After three years of using TrainerRoad I think I’m now a Zwift convert. So much more interactive, and given I do most of my riding indoors its made it more enjoyable.

I tried using Zwift for workouts and didn't like they way it controlled trainer and the user interface wasn't as good as TR. So now i run workouts off my phone on TR and watch my avatar race people on zwift.. means i get a proper distance reading too as TR distance is never anywhere near reality..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wombattri said:

And everything trainerroad does zwift also does plus races. 

• Like 1

Anyone know how to turn that cheesey Zwift music off that plays up until the point that you start riding?

(before the usual suspect chimes in, if you don't use technology, it isn't a problem - I get that)

3 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Anyone know how to turn that cheesey Zwift music off that plays up until the point that you start riding?

(before the usual suspect chimes in, if you don't use technology, it isn't a problem - I get that)

F9

While we are asking questions

When you finish a workout, and it asks you to save and exit, is there a way to not exit and have to restart the app?

Not a race but a workout?

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

While we are asking questions

When you finish a workout, and it asks you to save and exit, is there a way to not exit and have to restart the app?

Not a race but a workout?

After a workout I'm usually too buggered to re-start the app anyway. :w00t1:

54 minutes ago, The Customer said:

haha, it's like they searched for non copyright 'clean ze pool' pron music from the 70s.

I just mute my whole Macbook or Ipad when using.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

I have itunes playing at same time so when I start up Zwift the cheesy music plays over top of itunes music.

(I know, I really should do all my training in windowless dungeon without any kind of stimulus except for my own beating heart and the sound of my sweat hitting the concrete floor)

8 minutes ago, The Customer said:

I have itunes playing at same time so when I start up Zwift the cheesy music plays over top of itunes music.

(I know, I really should do all my training in windowless dungeon without any kind of stimulus except for my own beating heart and the sound of my sweat hitting the concrete floor)

Music is a bit pointless for me on Zwift. Most of sessions are punctuated with helpful comments from Flipper like 'why are you going slow Daddy, why did that man pass you daddy'?  :wallbash:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

42 minutes ago, The Customer said:

Nah real soldiers would be outside rain hail or shine..

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

It rained on my zwift ride tonight does that count? 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Music is a bit pointless for me on Zwift. Most of sessions are punctuated with helpful comments from Flipper like 'why are you going slow Daddy, why did that man pass you daddy'?  :wallbash:

I got cheered along last week by my daughter.... OUCH... LOL I've never pushed myself that hard up the hills. But I couldn't let her down 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pieman said:

Said the guy from Brisbane. I purposely choose countries to live in with unforgiving climates in an endeavour to toughen me up for my hobby as a mediocre age-group triathlete.

• Like 2

I pick training locations by the quality of the clouds... 😛😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

Said the guy from Brisbane. I purposely choose countries to live in with unforgiving climates in an endeavour to toughen me up for my hobby as a mediocre age-group triathlete.

Didnt you hear it rained on mt cootha last Wednesday... 

34 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I pick training locations by the quality of the clouds... 😛😁

We got a few of those 😎

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, pieman said:

Didnt you hear it rained on mt cootha last Wednesday... 

No, please tell me all about it. 

Ok, I’m a nuffy with all this stuff, this morning while ginning about in Perth i bought a Tacx Flux, got the shop to put an 11-25 cassette on it and they sold me a dongle thingy (it’s in Garmin packaging) for $59 and I have no idea what to do with it (I didn’t know ipads had a port to stick tho ha I’m apart from the charger). I’m now at the airport and have no idea what I need to do to make it work when I get home.  We have an IPad Air at home and I have an iPhone (think it might be an iPhone 8 ) we don’t have any smart tv in our house they are about 10yr old plasma which has hdmi ports in it.  So what do I need to do next.  Ps I’ve never looked at zwift or trainer road (are there others) I’ve read all FP stuff above and even that confuses me 😂😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Ok, I’m a nuffy with all this stuff, this morning while ginning about in Perth i bought a Tacx Flux, got the shop to put an 11-25 cassette on it and they sold me a dongle thingy (it’s in Garmin packaging) for $59 and I have no idea what to do with it (I didn’t know ipads had a port to stick tho ha I’m apart from the charger). I’m now at the airport and have no idea what I need to do to make it work when I get home.  We have an IPad Air at home and I have an iPhone (think it might be an iPhone 8 ) we don’t have any smart tv in our house they are about 10yr old plasma which has hdmi ports in it.  So what do I need to do next.  Ps I’ve never looked at zwift or trainer road (are there others) I’ve read all FP stuff above and even that confuses me 😂😂

https://www.youtube.com/user/gplama

He is the man for zwift and should be Able to find how to set up for Apple stuff..

i just use a laptop plugged through a different monitor sosoi can zwift on oneand watch the tour on other.  

I've used trainer road off my android phone but a bigger screen is obviously better..

Good work Kieran it'll make the wet season better for biking. 

Definitely check out Lamas videos. I understood them..... LOL so you'll be fine. 

My number one tip - get the dongle as close as possible to the trainer for a hassle free signal 👍

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I'm not sure if you mean MacBook Air or iPad Kieran. If it's iPad then IOS works well with Zwift via Bluetooth, or at least it does on my iPad (4 yrs old).  My MacBook Pro needs a dongle because it's too old to have the latest BT that Zwift needs. Works fine with the dongle though. My MacBook is approx 2mts from the trainer with no issues.

We have an iPad Air FP, wife has a MacBook Air coming in the mail but I’m steering clear of using that as I got it for her uni studies

14 minutes ago, KieranR said:

We have an iPad Air FP, wife has a MacBook Air coming in the mail but I’m steering clear of using that as I got it for her uni studies

Thought she might have left once she found out about this purchase.... 😁

17 minutes ago, pieman said:

Thought she might have left once she found out about this purchase.... 😁

The purchase of the smart trainer or the lap top? She’s ok with it as we had discussed it for a while now, but hasn’t said much, she tends not to get too involved with the tri stuff as it’s of no interest to her.  She’ll be happy when her lap top arrives.  She is happy with the choice of colour for the daughters bike that I picked up in Perth, was a bday present that we had talked about and that my folks tipped some money in for.

• Like 1

OK i got it working yesterday, Had a look at GP llama site etc, all good, but i couldn't pair my Garmin edge or my Power meter off my bike with it.   I haven't been able to find much useful on the internet to help me any ideas?

Its a Garmin Edge 810

Power meter is A quarq

21 minutes ago, KieranR said:

OK i got it working yesterday, Had a look at GP llama site etc, all good, but i couldn't pair my Garmin edge or my Power meter off my bike with it.   I haven't been able to find much useful on the internet to help me any ideas?

Its a Garmin Edge 810

Power meter is A quarq

Can you run through your set up?

what device you are running through, what sensors you have connected, etc

Are you on zwift/trainerroad yet? if not, then the PM wont connect to it because the trainer has its own PM? It sound slike you are just trying to get the trainer to read off your quarq and transmit to your Garmin? I dont think this is possible..? you'd need to get on Zwift/TR/etc and then you can select to sue your quarq as the controller rather than the Tacx as this is more what you will be pushing outside...

in terms of getting your edge 810 to connect, it cant be used to control it according to DCRainmaker?

Edited by pieman

5 minutes ago, pieman said:

Can you run through your set up?

what device you are running through, what sensors you have connected, etc

Are you on zwift/trainerroad yet? if not, then the PM wont connect to it because the trainer has its own PM? It sound slike you are just trying to get the trainer to read off your quarq and transmit to your Garmin? I dont think this is possible..? you'd need to get on Zwift/TR/etc and then you can select to sue your quarq as the controller rather than the Tacx as this is more what you will be pushing outside...

in terms of getting your edge 810 to connect, it cant be used to control it according to DCRainmaker?

I pad with latest version of I0S using bluetooth

I Have signed up to Zwift

When i was trying to connect it didn't recognize the Quarq, just kept coming up with the Tacx 

It did find my HRM no dramas

Im not too worries about the edge, Power meter is what I'm really after

8 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I pad with latest version of I0S using bluetooth

I Have signed up to Zwift

When i was trying to connect it didn't recognize the Quarq, just kept coming up with the Tacx 

It did find my HRM no dramas

Im not too worries about the edge, Power meter is what I'm really after

so I assume that you have the tacx paired as the "controllable trainer" and that it is also showing as "power source"? can you unpair it as the power source and then scan for quarq? (while waking up the quarq)

do you have ant+ dongle? is the quarq bluetooth capable? sorry for all querstions

Edited by pieman

24 minutes ago, pieman said:

so I assume that you have the tacx paired as the "controllable trainer" and that it is also showing as "power source"? can you unpair it as the power source and then scan for quarq? (while waking up the quarq)

do you have ant+ dongle? is the quarq bluetooth capable? sorry for all querstions

I appreciate the help

Yes the tacx paired immediately when i turned on Zwift, it just did it automatically.  I wouldn't know how to un pair it, I'll have to have a look at that tonight when i get home

I have an ant+ thingy but its still in the packet, i didn't need it when.

The quarq pairs with my Garmin edge no dramas, i presume thats done via Bluetooth

Edited by KieranR

12 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I appreciate the help

Yes the tacx paired immediately when i turned on Zwift, it just did it automatically.  I wouldn't know how to un pair it, I'll have to have a look at that tonight when i get home

I have an ant+ thingy but its still in the packet, i didn't need it when.

The quarq pairs with my Garmin edge no dramas, i presume thats done via Bluetooth

Under the "power source" field that presumably says Tacx Flux XYZ there should be a button for unpair. click that and then scan for new device and it hopefully find the quarq. 

• Thanks 1