FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

$20 Aussie for new accounts as of today. Same price for existing accounts for the next 12 months (Grandfathered), then it's $20/month.

- New users, there is no price increase, the price is what it is. $20.
- Existing users: No impact for 12 months.

My God some people have lost their shit over this though. And that's putting it nicely. Value is different for everyone. If people are using multi-billion dollar communication infrastructure, with a belly full of food, while being warm in their homes, to complain about a few dollars..... what a time to be alive! 

I've said it a few times now. Zwift need to charge me double. I ride it daily.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gplama said:

$20 Aussie for new accounts as of today. Same price for existing accounts for the next 12 months (Grandfathered), then it's $20/month.

My God some people have lost their shit over this though. And that's putting it nicely. Value is different for everyone. If people are using multi-billion dollar communication infrastructure, with a belly full of food, while being warm in their homes, to complain about a few dollars..... what a time to be alive! 

So $20AUD a month? 

Up from $14??? 

44 minutes ago, gplama said:

Confirming.... and departing. I've copped so much misguided anger over this today.

I hope not departing Trannies mate? I've appreciated your advice. £12.99 in UK . I'm at old price but this is still ok. Not sure about how many subs I'd like all together though.

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

I hope not departing Trannies mate? I've appreciated your advice. £12.99 in UK . I'm at old price but this is still ok. Not sure about how many subs I'd like all together though.

Agree with FP 

Great to have you around. 

I wasn't getting angry, just really confused about the increase, Faceache is too hard to follow and get facts about it. 

Thanks very much Lama. Cheers 

I don’t think Llama will leave here he has been here long before Zwift. 

I think he and a few others who are the “faces” of zwift have been copping the brunt of some people’s anger on Facebook.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gplama said:

Think where I sit, if I’m using it, happy to pay (obviously), but I have a life outside of sport so can go 6 months without riding,  so as soon as it’s that magic $20 for me, Inthink I probably should disconnect whereas I’d just let it ride normally if it was less than twenty bucks knowing at some point I will get back on the horse.  

Guess everyone measures value in different ways if people are losing their shit over it, but everyone is in control of their own choice wether to use or not. 

I just finished reading a couple of pages on ST about it.

For $5/month increase for them, there are some big tantrums going down.

For an occasional user, it might tip some out.

For a regular user it probably works out at ~$1/ride

Slowtwitchers think nothing of dropping $ om new bike every year or paying thousands for a wind tunnel visit but whine about this... 

In saying that I'd like to see them offer a cheaper price for annual memberships than month by month..

• Like 1

In the UK the price is now £12.99 which is AUD 22.70.  I am in at the old price (£8.00), so we've a bigger price increase.  I'm happy to see how much it gets used in the next year and what extras are now coming. The cost itself is not much issue but like I say, when you add a TR, TP, Strava premium or whatever else is out there, then it starts to add up I guess.

Why have premium strava when you have TrainingPeaks?

personally TrainingPeaks covers everything. 

Then zwift. 

And of course free Garmin for ultimate backup 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why have premium strava when you have TrainingPeaks?

personally TrainingPeaks covers everything. 

Then zwift. 

And of course free Garmin for ultimate backup 

I don't know. Apart from Zwift, I don't have any of it.  Point being, none of things are much individually but can add up collectively . (like buying coffee)

At around 5hrs of Zwift a week, that's only $4 per session. 

Swimming costs $5.60 per session and I have to make room for others. 

Zwift is just me doing my thing. Good value. 

I really like Zwift and explore something new about the site each day.  One thing I've noticed is that the default course seems to be London on weekdays and Wattopia on weekends.  I rode up Box Hill on Zwift last Thursday,  I didn't make the leader board, it did inform me that that my best placing was 125th for the day.  Oh well, work to do.:lol:

What are the little glowing squares that I see when I pass/get passed by some riders?

• Like 1

The riders (and runners) with screens in front of them are doing workouts of some kind using workout mode.

In-game leaderboards are a rolling 60 minute window (not to take away anything from getting 125th) :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gplama said:

The riders (and runners) with screens in front of them are doing workouts of some kind using workout mode.

In-game leaderboards are a rolling 60 minute window (not to take away anything from getting 125th) :)

haha thanks. When I rode up Box Hill, the Leader's time was 6:06, I was 'somewhat slower' :lol:

• Haha 2

Yeah up the big mountain in Watopia I am only about 10min off the KOM. Only 10..... Just 10min.... LOL :huh:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah up the big mountain in Watopia I am only about 10min off the KOM. Only 10..... Just 10min.... LOL :huh:

I went up there, then made the mistake of turning left up to the radio mast! :wallbash:

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

I went up there, then made the mistake of turning left up to the radio mast! :wallbash:

Box hill seems like ventoux for me at moment...

And then i find out the default trainer setting is for 50% so my 7% gradient is really only 3.5%... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

It's awesome ay!?! LOL :lol:

28 minutes ago, pieman said:

Box hill seems like ventoux for me at moment...

And then i find out the default trainer setting is for 50% so my 7% gradient is really only 3.5%... 

I played with the trainer setting.... It is insane at 100%

In usa for 2 week. They all drink bottled water. Its more expensive than petrol. Now thats wasting money. Yanks are farktards. 

$5 a week is cheap. 

• Like 1

On 19/11/2017 at 9:26 AM, FFF1077 said:

I played with the trainer setting.... It is insane at 100%

I tried that once too. What a mistake!!

Need a different cassette on if I'm going to try that again. 

• Like 1

Re - the price increase. I would like something for households with multiple accounts. But I'll keep on using it.

I wish that I had thought of Zwift. I'd love to be in the ownership group of that business. I believe that the product they've got is good enough that most of those whining don't want to pay more but know deep down that they won't actually leave.

• Like 1

I'll bury this here... it's kind of on topic. :)

Zwift on AppleTV just released this week. Here's the A to Z. (I couldn't call it 'Everything you need to know' as Ray already called his video that) :) 

2 hours ago, gplama said:

Zwift on AppleTV just released this week. Here's the A to Z. (I couldn't call it 'Everything you need to know' as Ray already called his video that) :) 

we had a consultant in at work last week, he has done 6000k on zwift and is addicted, somehow we got talking and once he was finished with us, he was off to buy an apply tv for just this.

OK, got a question about power.  I have an Elite Direto and Zwift, that's it.  I have not done a FTP test but have done a couple of hour plus sessions pretty hard where I got a FTP but didn't think much of it.  Yesterday I did a 'race' on Zwift (I feel dirty even just typing that! ).  The race was 41kms, had some hills but more of the drag kind . (I think it was Volcano loop). It was 4 x 10km loops basically.

My race took me 1hr11mins to complete and I was absolutely shelled as I did the whole thing in no man's land between C and D grade.  Afterwards, Zwift said I'd raised my FTP by 2 watts to 218.   Is that info in any way relatable to an actual FTP or is it complete BS?

I was warmed up for 20 mins before the race.

I'd assume it takes your best 20min power from that ride and * 0.95. It'll be a ballpark figure. Many wars have been waged over who's correct and who's more correct when it comes to FTP estimation. I've always found this step test protocol to be close enough for me to work with. 

17 minutes ago, gplama said:

I'd assume it takes your best 20min power from that ride and * 0.95. It'll be a ballpark figure. Many wars have been waged over who's correct and who's more correct when it comes to FTP estimation. I've always found this step test protocol to be close enough for me to work with. 

Cheers Shane.   I must be drunk 'cos I'm sure I heard him say the test starts at 3.3 watts per kg!   yeaaaah, that'll be a short test for me. :lol:

There are various issues as to whether the Zwift number quoted is an accurate reflection of your capability. If all it does is locate your mean max 20-min power and takes a percentage of that, then unless you did a dedicated 20-min segment it's likely to be an underestimate.

Other factors influencing the reliability of such a number is the factor used to convert a 20-min number to FTP (it's individually variable) and the difference you experience between power you can sustain indoors on your trainer compared with riding outdoors.

If you did a hard hour long ride then your Normalized Power will be a reasonable indicator of your FTP.

If you want to know your FTP, there are various ways to reasonably estimate it. While use of an incremental test to exhaustion is one method, it's less precise than simply finding out what you can repeatedly do for longer efforts (e.g. a 40km TT) or intervals that one might ordinarily do as part of their regular training (e.g. hard rides of about an hour, or regular 2 x 20-min intervals or similar).

Another pretty decent method is having mean maximal power data for a range of durations and using a good power-duration model such as in WKO4 analytics software.

Another similar but simpler example is using your best power from dedicated power tests conducted within a week or so of each other as inputs into Monod & Scherrer's Critical Power model. The resulting CP value will be a very good estimate of FTP.

You need two values - one shorter range (3-6 min) and another longer range (20-30-min).

Then CP = [(Power long test x Duration long test) - (Power short test x Duration short test)] / (Duration long test  - Duration short test)

e.g. say you have 4-min max of 300W and 24 min max of 250W:

CP = [(250 x 24) - (300 x 4)] / (24 - 4)

= (6000 - 1200) / 20

= 4800 / 20

= 240W

Edited by Alex Simmons
  • Thanks 1

I went up the mountain today and was hammering back down and went past a left hand turn off that had a 'Level 10' virtual gate at the entrance. I was past it before it before I could turn (wasn't using the phone app).  Will that appear on my next ride or do I have to drag myself up that mountain again?

12 minutes ago, pieman said:

I think that's the new road to ruins and only level 10 or above can go that way..

Thanks Pieman. Ooh, I feel special. (except I have no idea what 'ruins' is). it better not be that friggin radio mast:hammer:

Edited by FatPom

Just now, pieman said:

Have you made level 10 already?  I'm only just midway through 8.. you must have caught up... 

I guess so,  I'm not really sure. I very rarely log into my actually account on the iPad or phone. I usually just do a ride on the MacBook, save it and forget about it.  Im not sure when I started, late Oct I think.

I did notice today that Ive unlocked the 'camo' kit. B)

im only level 6, but today I won a sprint and fluked two kings of the mtn....  got to ride round with a green jersey with two mountains on it.... will i have that tomorrow, like do i keep it, or is it back to my standard sharks colour jersey ?

also pissed of the time trial bike, heaps more fun on a roadie..virtual and all

Jerseys are rotated hourly, so no you won't have it tomorrow!

About 3 weeks ago I took the roadie off the trainer and went back to the TT bike, regretting it but can't be bothered changing cassettes again as the TT bike is 10 speed and the roadie is 11.

On 26/11/2017 at 7:41 PM, gplama said:

Got this as a family present for Christmas 😂 

So much better than my laptop.  Smooth graphics and much quicker to log in and start riding. 

Will get another one soon enough as we often ride as a family. 

• Like 1

I use Zwift with the P3 in the trainer and the virtual TT bike on screen. No drafting effect for me  ( get a few lining up behind though ), gone full Eurotrash sans helmet. :D