FatPom

Smart turbo/ Zwift and the clueless

This is a side story to how how I'm planning next year, which I will post about elsewhere. Long story short, I have my 'do it all' bike in Somerset for winter gruelling rides ( as the mags would say).  At home in Winchester, my basic plan is to keep the Bianchi and P3 only. This means more of an indoor campaign in winter, both to avoid endless bike cleaning and a desire to be home more and hit some numbers in a structured way.

So, after watching a couple of Shane Miller's excellent vids and chatting with a local TT stud who has one, I'm pretty set on getting an Elite Direto trainer. Bearing in mind I ride with zero gadgets ( and I mean zero), what do I need to get funky withZwift, TR and the like, and most importantly, how can I make everything private and avoid all the social media BS that might come with a subscription ( to anything) ?

Here's what I have at home right now:

A dumb tv with a spare HDMI if I unplug the Firestick.

An Amazon Firestick.

2014 iPad mini(  32gb)

2012 MacBook Pro running Sierra, 4gb ram.

Dell laptop with Windows 10 which I'd prefer to leave alone if possible.

a very dumb smart phone but about to get a smick new one with new job ( don't know which one yet)

5 Sufferfest films bought outright.

I have no desire to to get a Garmin type device at this stage and was hoping to capture data on one of the above devices, is that possible?

hmm, that wasn't short at all :lol:

Edited by FatPom

i just turned on my ipad bluetooth, downloaded zwift, and it hooked up to the trainer and it worked.  it then sends it to my garmin???????????  have a kurt kinetic fluid with an aftermarket kinetic add on to make it smart 

You just need to buy the trainer and sign up to Zwift and you will be functional with any of those devices.

You don't have to pair Zwift to Strava or anything like that. You can even delete your rides when you finish rather than have them saved within the app.

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks all :)  I have to say big props to GPLama, his videos are bloody great!

And just as I have decided to keep the Bianchi, I come across this ad, very good price in the U.K.  for that bike, especially as the 2018 version comes with boat anchor Askiums and would 'do it all' in Winchester with some temp guards.  Decisions decisions.

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/bikes-frames/cervelo-c3-ultegra-disc-blackwhite-2017-cer16_c3_ultdisc/

Excuse me for a slight thread hijack.

I have a kurt kinetic road machine (plus the bike and laptop).  For me to setup Zwift I need an Ant+ stick and a garmin speed and cadence sensor - at least that is all I think I need?  Is there any place in Australia worth purchasing this equipment or is Amazon the go to?

That'll get you up and running using zPower. Zwift's answer to Virtual Power, where it'll do an ok-ish job of calculating power from the speed curve of the KK Road Machine. 

If you're buying new, get sensors that are dual ANT+/Bluetooth. They'll come in handy if you want to connect to Bluetooth only head units (iPhone, iPad, etc).

21 hours ago, gerg said:

Excuse me for a slight thread hijack.

I have a kurt kinetic road machine (plus the bike and laptop).  For me to setup Zwift I need an Ant+ stick and a garmin speed and cadence sensor - at least that is all I think I need?  Is there any place in Australia worth purchasing this equipment or is Amazon the go to?

i asked on here n you can do that... however i thought it was just easier to buy the "inride" and bluetooth that to the app on my ipad so thats what i did. looked on bike exchange then bought one of a us amazon site. cant remember what it was though.  i was going to ring the australian supplier  (  http://www.velovita.com.au/ ) but just amazoned it.    if you wait, amazon might be live in australia....though wether they have an inride who knows.  $49us in the recommended price, I had it landed to my door for $60aud.

the inride just taps into the hole in the stainless steel wheel thing on the kinetic fluid thing that your rear wheel sits on and you just stick the the little black box on to pick up the thing in the hole as it spins by, east as.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

OK, semi successful.

Managed to get it connected up. Downloaded Zwift to the MacBook Pro and attempted to pair via bluetooth, no dice, Zwift just hung at 'Searching'.

Downloaded Zwift app to the iPad and connected via BT with zero issues.    Haven't done anything with my phone yet (really old Android).

Did my first couple of 5 min sessions on Zwift, just clicked 'Join Ride' and up I popped. Had no idea what I was doing.  Tried to get my username to FatPom but ended up with I.FatPom . The 7 Day 'Free Trial' seems a bit of a misnomer,  because it seems that it only gives you 25kms worth?

I don't have a PM so not sure if I need any kind of calibration or ramp down?  I did download the My ETraining Elite app but it's fairly crap.  I got a voucher that is supposed to give a year's free membership, it recognised the voucher but still says I have to buy modules.  I did get all my parameters in there though.

Talking of which, GPLama mentions inputting '173' as a wheel size but I'm not sure where to put this.  I've done nothing like in Zwift and did enter it in My e Training but I don't think it did anything.

All I did was enter my age, weight and height into Zwift and started pedalling.

Set up is Flipper approvedB)

59fa17838fabf_2017-11-0116_56_56.jpg.ff450cef1cb41220acadd563c5a8b062.jpg

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

OK, semi successful.

Managed to get it connected up. Downloaded Zwift to the MacBook Pro and attempted to pair via bluetooth, no dice, Zwift just hung at 'Searching'.

Downloaded Zwift app to the iPad and connected via BT with zero issues.    Haven't done anything with my phone yet (really old Android).

Did my first couple of 5 min sessions on Zwift, just clicked 'Join Ride' and up I popped. Had no idea what I was doing.  Tried to get my username to FatPom but ended up with I.FatPom . The 7 Day 'Free Trial' seems a bit of a misnomer,  because it seems that it only gives you 25kms worth?

I don't have a PM so not sure if I need any kind of calibration or ramp down?  I did download the My ETraining Elite app but it's fairly crap.  I got a voucher that is supposed to give a year's free membership, it recognised the voucher but still says I have to buy modules.  I did get all my parameters in there though.

Talking of which, GPLama mentions inputting '173' as a wheel size but I'm not sure where to put this.  I've done nothing like in Zwift and did enter it in My e Training but I don't think it did anything.

All I did was enter my age, weight and height into Zwift and started pedalling.

Set up is Flipper approvedB)

59fa17838fabf_2017-11-0116_56_56.jpg.ff450cef1cb41220acadd563c5a8b062.jpg

It's direct drive so you shouldn't need to do any kind of calibration. It has it's own built in power meter and that's what Zwift will use. Also no need to enter a wheel size 'cos you're not using the wheel.

If you're looking for structured stuff then Zwift has it but you might be more interested in TrainerRoad which does have a free trial. And yes you are limited to 25k for Zwift. 

Enjoy! I love the ease of my turbo. Make sure you have enough fans though. I have three. This is not enough.

Direct drive still needs calibration/spindows, although not every ride. Some only every month or so. *If you're using the power reported from the trainer. If you're using a power meter on the bike, no need to worry.

173mm is the flywheel size you'd enter into a Garmin, Wahoo, or other head unit if you're recording indoor workouts that way. Zwift, MyETraining, etc, use the defaults. (Zwift doesn't use trainer speed at all, it's all power).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, monkie said:

It's direct drive so you shouldn't need to do any kind of calibration. It has it's own built in power meter and that's what Zwift will use. Also no need to enter a wheel size 'cos you're not using the wheel.

If you're looking for structured stuff then Zwift has it but you might be more interested in TrainerRoad which does have a free trial. And yes you are limited to 25k for Zwift. 

Enjoy! I love the ease of my turbo. Make sure you have enough fans though. I have three. This is not enough.

Cheers Monkie.  I've been using turbos for years, so I'm ok fan wise . (got a veritable wind tunnel of a fan :) )

Re the sizing, I was picking up on something Shane said. I think its to do with the 'effective' roller width or something because Elite does things differently. He definitely mentions it in his Direto review.

haha must've been typing at the same time as Shane's reply.

Cheers mate :)

Edited by FatPom

23 hours ago, FatPom said:

Cheers Monkie.  I've been using turbos for years, so I'm ok fan wise . (got a veritable wind tunnel of a fan :) )

Re the sizing, I was picking up on something Shane said. I think its to do with the 'effective' roller width or something because Elite does things differently. He definitely mentions it in his Direto review.

haha must've been typing at the same time as Shane's reply.

Cheers mate :)

Ah, my bad didn't realise it was flywheel they were talking about! :)

Re calibration, (I hope Shane is reading this) watching the video here, when I connect to my MacBook via Ant+, I follow the instructions in the video but I don'y get the spanner icon, just the 'unpair' window., and get the same result via BT on the iPad  I wonder if these feature is not supported for my trainer?

It can take a few sessions for Zwift to recognise there's a compatible trainer connected with 'spindown' features. It also requires pairing over FE-C. But... it also seems that feature / code is under cooked for some trainers. Use the trainer manufacturer app for calibration if that one isn't playing ball.

1 minute ago, gplama said:

It can take a few sessions for Zwift to recognise there's a compatible trainer connected with 'spindown' features. It also requires pairing over FE-C. But... it also seems that feature / code is under cooked for some trainers. Use the trainer manufacturer app for calibration if that one isn't playing ball.

Thanks Shane. I am connecting via FEC . (which is ANT+ right?) as I bought a dongle for the MacBook. The dongle is brilliant,  it even reaches the distance from bike to tv, so I can plug the Mac into my tv, sweet :)

I tried using the Elite app but got frustrated, went through all the rego stuff, then entered my code for the free 12mths  subscription, it recognises the code but doesn't allow me to open the modules as it say i need to pay. Everything seems pretty locked down in that. :(

Sidenote:  I think I have a humming Direto model.  I hear the step change motor when switching on and the generally it's quite but when I change gear I get a kind 'pulse humming' for a couple of minutes, then it goes quiet again. Seems quite random but doesn't really bother me.

Arrrh.. yes. The Direto 'spindown' is a little different to the standard FE-C spindown (Yep, that's ANT+). Calibration Procedure Of The Internal Power Sensor On Drivo-Direto-Kura -> https://goo.gl/126c6g

19 minutes ago, gplama said:

Arrrh.. yes. The Direto 'spindown' is a little different to the standard FE-C spindown (Yep, that's ANT+). Calibration Procedure Of The Internal Power Sensor On Drivo-Direto-Kura -> https://goo.gl/126c6g

Good stuff, thanks mate. The Elite seems to work better on my Macbook.  Weird thing is, when I type' 173' into the circumference setting it displays a value of '14':huh:

Anyway, did the test twice and got a calibration value of '6558' or something like that. It all sounds a bit dodgy :wink3:

The wheel circumference 173 is only for pairing to third party head units such as Garmin. The MyETraining stuff defaults to 2070 (iirc?) and is correct within their software. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, gplama said:

The wheel circumference 173 is only for pairing to third party head units such as Garmin. The MyETraining stuff defaults to 2070 (iirc?) and is correct within their software. 

aha, better have another test then, hang on:lol: