KieranR

What do you do to get away from Triathlon?

On 11/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, KieranR said:

Another job done on the 4wd build, UHF install done and powered up, I wanted it out of the way, so being that my ashtray serves no purpose it was time for it to go, and the uhfsots in beautifully, I’ve powered directly from my fuse block I’ve put in so I can keep it powered on even if the ute isn’t running, I’ll have to come up with an idea to use something to fill in the gaps around the uhf, I’m not sure material to use yet but it can wait.  Starting to get closer to the bigger ticket items now, the winch arrived on Friday but I have no bullbar as yet, and my two spare steel rims arrived also, I’m switching over to steel rims because I’m not a fan of alloy wheels when travelling remotely, got the steel ones for $110 each on the work account, I’ll end up with 6 Steelies soon. 

Next purcahse is a suspension upgrade and I’ll fit that myself also 

D31345DC-AD72-475B-B3D8-4F320117EDF4.jpeg

About winches, I'm about to crack into a new guiding spot and after a reccy up there with the Lodge owner in his nice new BT50 - which now has a few battle scars on the front due to the nature of the access track - I've decided I need a winch on my old Hilux.  A mate who is handy like you (I'm not when it comes to anything larger than 1/48 scale!) thinks I might be able to get hold of a 2nd hand Warn winch from a mate of his.  But is it likely to fit a 93 Hilux (do they tend to be universal fit?) or are we likely to need to do some modifications to the mounts?  I'm also not sure how it will fit around the dodgy old bull bar on my relic? 

It's either a winch or a sat phone so I can call the farmer to come and tow me out with his tractor.  Or a high lift jack plus some straps which can be used as a winch - though I'm told once you've done that once, you'll never do it again.

All depends on what you are looking for and how you will use it CN.

Warn is a good brand and tend to be very reliable, but like everything, second hand do your homework and check it out / have it checked out. Winches need good regular servicing, especially if being used regularly and / or getting covered in mud & muck all the time.  Last thing you need is a winch not working when you go to use it. You will be cactus.

Warn are expensive (think $1,000+ new) Don't know what they are like on the second hand market but assume they would hold their value reasonably well.

If you want something like Kieran's, you'll get it delivered for $300/$400 and it should bolt straight on (as should the Warn). Like everything, you get what you pay for. I've got exactly the same as pictured above sitting in my shed waiting for me to stump up the cash for a bullbar.

For me, I couldn't justify spending anymore based on how much I figure I will use it.

Good luck

Warn are very good, but I’ll be honest with you, if I were to buy second hand I’d want to strip down the thing and get a proper service etc, I got the dominator above because it will do everything the warn will for what I may need it for, I have zero intention of going extreme 4wding but I will go bush, and lots of beach driving, I can see myself using mine for unbogging myself on a beach more than anything, for $349 I couldn’t go wrong, it came well packaged, everything is lubricated well and the reviews I read and watched (although biased) showed me it will do what I need.  The warn should bolt straight up, most winches bolt right in, you may need to buy a cradle I’m not sure.  

The 2nd hand Warn has been sitting on the bench of an auto-electricians for two years, but as he's the mate of a mate, I shouldn't be sold a pup.  But if he wants more than about $350 for it, I'll get something like the dominator.

It's more of an insurance device in case I get stuck on this new stream with a client, and the most likely place to get stuck is at a creek crossing.  So not extreme winching, just simple stuff.  Where I guide now the farm track is a walk in the park, so no need for a winch but this new place is a bit knarly in spots as we found out in the BT50.  Mind you, the BT50 has a 500kg custom camping unit on the back & I reckon weighs a tonne more than my old Hilux SR5.  The Hilux is rough and bangs and rattles about, drives like a rowboat on the bitumen, but being so light it is pretty good off-road unlike these new monsters. Also has better clearance than a brand new stock 4WD which all need lift kits to do even half-serious off-road driving.

CN, just get a trailer, tow the below into the spot and go fishing without having to get our of the hilux, fish not biting, just float on down further:  (Pretty sure you will be the only guide offering this service)

product-image.png

• Like 1

I'd love to have one of those CE but oh the $'s :crybaby:

Consequently, I drive a 24yo Hilux with lots of battle scars.  But it's never let me down (ok once the 4WD stopped working & we got stuck in the mud, but luckily my client was a huge Canadian as big and strong as a gizzly & while he pushed, I reversed after putting some wood under the wheels and it came out easy....though I think his brute force may have bent the dodgy bullbar slightly :shock: )

qyLnQPE.jpg

However, I am pondering a 'Triple Crown' package where the challenge is to catch cod, bass & trout all on fly over 2-3 days, with transport that does not need a winch!

C8inP0f.jpg  

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

Suspension all done! Pain in the bum doing it on the driveway but I had to as the workshop for our company was full and the joists unavailable, got it done though, will give it a couple of weeks to settle down and it should be just right! Just fits under the carport entrance! Might have to put a 100mm lift in the carport when I get the roof rack!

45CCD983-E11B-40FC-B9BC-C5F0F44B52EF.jpeg

EFCAC97D-88AE-42A7-83D1-BC06C141B2F2.jpeg

598E1280-9B61-43E1-BDC3-19D7F4A80CAD.jpeg

5FD2A1C4-2FE2-4218-B8B3-E78A5C687894.jpeg

D7C8D043-6A4D-40C9-A7EB-B0BF10A1B137.jpeg

Edited by KieranR
  • Like 2

Fitted a 2inch lift kit on the weekend to a Hilux.  The videos on youtube said 6 minutes for a lift strut.  That's for a brand new vehicle that hasn't already started rusting up from a dozen or two river crossings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BC_J400 said:

Fitted a 2inch lift kit on the weekend to a Hilux.  The videos on youtube said 6 minutes for a lift strut.  That's for a brand new vehicle that hasn't already started rusting up from a dozen or two river crossings!

It took me 3 hours for the left rear leaf, because the bolt near the fuel tank was a pain in the arse, the rear shackle was a bastard to get out, the right rear took about 45 mins to swap out.  the front right strut took about 90 mins as the tie rod was bloody hard to drop out and i ended up having to disconnect the upper control arm and knock that bolt out as i couldn't get enough leverage to get the new shock in.  the left front took about 30 mins to do.

After I knocked off work yesterday I headed straight out the front with a spade, the chainsaw & some sleepers, and a pile of mulch. I think I've realised what my other passion is.DSC_1918.thumb.JPG.187565f8071823e9f799d9552626aedc.JPGDSC_1919.thumb.JPG.6b77608dfc46c0e62737eaf4ff343973.JPG

And this was the previous effort, with plants scavenged from elsewhere in the yard.

Just be carful ex that you don't raise the garden bed up to high (above slab) termites will like the invitation if they are around . I just demo another house with that very issue they chewed out the hole place just about.

Good advise OS. This slab has a visual barrier, so there is about 10cm of exposed concrete between the edge of the garden and the rendered brick wall. The dirt level is about an inch below the cement, and whilst the mulch may be higher in the middle of the garden, I don't let it creep over the visual barrier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

After I knocked off work yesterday I headed straight out the front with a spade, the chainsaw & some sleepers, and a pile of mulch. I think I've realised what my other passion is.

Burying bodies?

• Haha 5

Perfect mate .

this place I just bought previously had a few minor problems 

1 through garden dirt build up

and the other through a joined slab that was never done properly 

ive had the local guy out and give me the speal on it and what he has done over the years so all good just gota stay on top of inspections.

What do you do to get away from tri........

I AM THE HUNTER.....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Didnt know weather to eat it or stuff it and hang it in the pool room ... haha

IMG_0478.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

• Like 5

After a couple of weeks off the 4wd build, im back into it when time allows.  My buddy who is a boiler maker welded up the frame  with his tig welder, im very happy with his work, its perfectly square so im stoked with that, only thing is the welds protrude into the inside of the frame (which was always going to happen) which has made fitting the ply a bit tricky to get perfect, Im not willing to grind down the welds, so I've just done my best when sheeting the insides, i will run a silicon bead along all the joins just to seal it off before i carpet it, I need to put a piece of ply on the front but am waiting until i decide which style of handle i want to use...I probably should have decided by now.....typical me...build it as i go along..

I went with 12 mm ply on the bottom and 6 mm on the sides and ends.  So thats my progress this past few days, hopefully will have the second draw in my hands next week and can then get it all finished off for the draws and move onto the next modification.

26653248_331862990626722_1499506931_o.jpg

26168847_332328200580201_2591301320234847279_n.jpg

26168455_332328197246868_3871138544865404355_n.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks FP. After almost 2 and a half years at it, I'm starting to understand water and pigment behaviour.

Damm wish i could have done a trade, my uni studies are wothless.

8 hours ago, Merv said:

Damm wish i could have done a trade, my uni studies are wothless.

Mate I’m the opposite! Have a trade and wish I went to uni!

8 hours ago, Tryline said:

Mate I’m the opposite! Have a trade and wish I went to uni!

I did both. You should try it.

Going back & studying Engineering by correspondence while I was travelling around the state as a Comm's Tech was the best decision I ever made.

Very nice Softy, I’m jealous.

This is my latest project finished,  a complete makeover of my kids old pine rocking horse for the grandchildren to play on. 

plus the vege garden

7FD3210E-1818-41DC-A4FF-517E19D9D05A.jpeg

03507912-91B1-4352-93EB-777265E3DD5D.jpeg

D7F81B23-5BA5-4065-A402-046F33629ABA.jpeg

ADE63DD7-B874-4CA6-BAE1-F605E21ABBE0.jpeg

• Like 3

Today I finished off my first draw! Really happy with it, it works as it should, and then tonight I bottled our next batch of Kombucha which is apple and cinnamon, strawberry and mint, kiwi fruit, orange, and pomegranate, looking forward to drinking these in 4 days.

CC3D4412-D68E-43C7-BF34-9B57E6E75F2F.jpeg

0368B2AB-1A08-4404-9C2C-89934ED29413.jpeg

8185FD4E-F4F7-45CD-8DCD-278D6D3916F8.jpeg

5210864F-6F7B-46D9-A76E-02D655848745.jpeg

• Like 1