KieranR

What do you do to get away from Triathlon?

35 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Was thinking similar.  He's wondering 'what sort of evil can I do with that bit of gear.....once I'm done with this peanut butter sarny' :D

He will be thinking of some way to harass his sister for sure.  To be honest im just glad hes eating, he has Coeliac disease amongst other things and we really struggle to get food into him most times, so anytime hes eating is a good thing.

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Ayto- yep as the funds allow im just doing bit by bit, Im in no way handy, I just give it a go (im too tight to pay someone to do it, plus its a learning opportunity).  i don't have any assistance here from friends or anything like that in regards to electrical stuff, I just learnt how to use a multi meter the other day, but i just take my time, Im currently trying to figure out how to change the light in the canopy from the standard globe to an LED strip, i didn't realize you can get solder less connections as i cut the led strip but didn't know how to connect it to a connection...i do now.

GVM upgrade, is this for a Ute or wagon, is your camper too heavy?  which lift are you going with.  my current thinking with the lift for my Ute is this - 3" dobinson coils in the front, 2" dobinsons rear leaf springs and bilstein shocks all round, that will make here dead level as i intend on fitting up a dual wheel carrier on the hilux and that will make the arse quite heavy, only thing with that means i will have to get after market upper control arms for the front and they retail at between $700 -$990 which is a lot for that extra 1" on the front.  if i just stick with 2" all round i dont need them and i can save $1k...either way ill be going with dobinsons and bilsteins just need to decide 2 or 3" on the front.

I've sourced the GVM upgrade via Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne, who use Lovells gear.  Will give a 2" lift all round.

Probably don't need the GVM upgrade with some careful packing, but it will give me 450kg extra.  By the time you factor in all bar work, winch, canopy, drawers, water, fuel, then add the ball weight from the camper trailer (circa 220kg) its starting to get up there.  Would rather have some fat built in to make sure we absolutely stay legal.

BTW, just come across your ute thread on MySwag - there's some good info on there!

4 minutes ago, Ayto said:

I've sourced the GVM upgrade via Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne, who use Lovells gear.  Will give a 2" lift all round.

Probably don't need the GVM upgrade with some careful packing, but it will give me 450kg extra.  By the time you factor in all bar work, winch, canopy, drawers, water, fuel, then add the ball weight from the camper trailer (circa 220kg) its starting to get up there.  Would rather have some fat built in to make sure we absolutely stay legal.

BTW, just come across your ute thread on MySwag - there's some good info on there!

yeah asking lots of questions on there, i feel la bit dumb asking on there but the guys seem helpful.  id love to be able to find my old blog with my old ute i built up but i cant seem to track it down, might have list it to the internet gods

I did consider Lovells also.  what camper do you have, i used to have a camprite, we bloody loved that ting, wish we still had it

We've got a Stoney Creek Camper Trailer - FF6 is the model.  Has a rear slide that pulls out to give another queen sized bed, so in total it has a King size up from, the queen at the rear and the lounge area folds down for another queen.

Massive step up from our old one - a 40 year old Sunwagon Pop up.  Was awesome and had been fully renovated including canvas, but it was getting to the point where I was spending more time working on it rather than using it.

Replaced it with the FF6 in February and haven't looked back. Spoilt though............often think about just grabbing the swag and going bush!

Tonight I put some marine carpet in the tray so my soon to be built draws will sit on it and I wired up an LED strip light and removed the old standard light bulb! Stoked with both jobs actually. And I finished up the design of my draws yesterday, just need the neighbour to lay off the beers and then we’ll be welding away

8C544897-065B-4D60-845E-0EDA1AC75FFC.jpeg

C4BAC979-B4EA-427A-846D-810FE117F9AF.jpeg

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nice.  Will they stay in there all the time?

Yep they will FP, I’m building it up to be a tourer, takes me ages as I prefer to do stuff myself and with colleagues instead of paying shops to do it.  Will build the actual draws in the next week or so then put a floor on top of the frame then I can start my electrical work in the tray.

• Like 2

Well i installed two roof bars on the canopy roof this weekend as it needed to be done to hold the rack im going to be putting up there, the canopy roof is not weight bearing so i had to install a internal frame then the bars which menat more drilling of holes into the canopy...happy to report everything lined up nicely!

I also decided to carpet some ply and put it on the top of the frame and secure it to it.  i think ive done a good job so far.  the drawers maybe will happen this coming weekend, depends if the draw slides arrive in time.  but its coming along.

Managed to squeeze in a 5km run with the local running club thats just started up, first run since i rolled the ankle, pulled up pretty well i think

24177096_319233345223020_7513378970348310273_n.jpg

24232244_319233291889692_8558771344308511417_n.jpg

24293918_319233285223026_4129553694538556553_n.jpg

24231875_319233278556360_2887680646980969322_n.jpg

Kieran,

With all of your talk about career changes, would going to work for Patriot trailers or similar be something you might want to consider?  Or even setting up a similar thing in your weeks not working?

53 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Kieran,

With all of your talk about career changes, would going to work for Patriot trailers or similar be something you might want to consider?  Or even setting up a similar thing in your weeks not working?

Hi CE,

I often wonder lots of things that i could have a go at, for sure something like that would interest me, but im just not sure if i could.

When ive finished these draws in the next couple of weeks im then going to have a go at teaching myself to mig weld (ive borrowed an old one off a work colleague) and im going to build a drop slide for my fridge, I've seen online that people always are chasing people to sell their one that have been made at home but are still very practical, if i can get it to work i might make some in my time off and see if i can sell a couple locally...after all i live in the right place for their to be a demand for them.  the retail ones on the market are between $750 - 1k which i find absurd....sure mine wont be as flash but hopefully it will still work, I've worked out i can get the steel for next to nothing through a contact I have.  will be interesting to see how much i can make one for.

just have to learn how to Mig weld off you tube.

Go for it mate, the guy who started Patriot did stuff similar to yourself and wanted to make things he knew would stand up on the off road - fair to say he lives a lifestyle many of us would be envious of now complete with some awesome toys to "test".

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot, ill keep updating my thread.

He sure does have some cool things, i saw the video of the A4A boys picking up their new rigs for the latest series, theres some big money being spent there.

I had a really good catch up with Simon and Jase up in the Kimberley back in 2012, pretty cool guys, believe it or not Simon was more chatty than Jase.

I’ve been thinking of ways to house my two batteries in the tray, had a bit of a lightbulb moment today while clock watching at work, sheet of ply as the base, another sheet on that but cut a well out so the batteries can drop onto the first sheet of ply, this will also mean they will sit below my floor height, bit ruff on the jigsaw tonight as I wanted to see how it would look in reality so not my best work but it’s come up perfect and how I thought it would, so now I can put a bit of angle at each end with some threaded rod and flat bar to secure he batteries down, then I can finish my floor on that side 

0B6E6958-B356-42F9-BD7F-64E21948B778.jpeg

E3CC5B51-9449-49BF-A7B7-94D9481AA58F.jpeg

33000896-1385-4656-BA36-3C2DA010488B.jpeg

• Like 2

Well I finished up the floor today, it all fits well, mou ted my drawer slides for when I hopefully build them this coming weekend, made up my battery clamps but am yet to fit them, took the daughter down to the beach but threw the big fridge in to prove I have plenty of clearance for when I build the fridge slide.  It’s a nice beach we have here this one is perfectly protected even with the howling westerly this arvo

20658EF3-BDB2-43FA-B659-9907A56C20C9.jpeg

4009A551-C719-4D8B-BA2C-091FB1420BF7.jpeg

D0A78CC8-7CDC-407B-9068-68F60EF274DA.jpeg

9373D1D1-AC88-4457-A2AF-2E919AF4CDE7.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 3:17 PM, KieranR said:

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot, ill keep updating my thread.

Maybe the thread title needs to be updated to "What do I do to get away from triathlon?" ;)

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Maybe the thread title needs to be updated to "What do I do to get away from triathlon?" ;)

Or, Kieran's Bodyshop 101.

• Like 1

I like Kieran’s body shop 101! If only I knew how to change titles........Roxii ?

took the day off today as the wife booked herself in to do her first aid cert, so after running around with the kiddies all morning I grabbed a couple of hours in between  lunch and swimming lessons and cut up all the ally lengths for the draws to be fabbed up hopefully this weekend. And started to prep the steel for my fridge slide I’m making up, lucky there’s no HSE type person at my house, managed to cut the steel on 45 deg angles and fired up the mug welder and tacked the base together!   Also bought a momentary push button start so I can wire that in to the aux battery maybe this weekend, will mean I can start the car if my crank battery ever dies when out bush, very worth while $30 investment.

F5F88944-718D-4A72-B097-B0CB0373C9FA.png