KieranR

What do you do to get away from Triathlon?

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Very good for doing neat holes in panelwork. The is an example of one. We used to use them to make neat holes in switchboard & panels. Does a very neat job and leaves no burs or swarf. 

Looks like you did a great job anyway.

Thanks,

I like the look of that thing, but probably not worth the cost for what i needed, although if i knew that was such a thing i probably could have gotten one to borrow from some people here as we have our E&I guys working on switch boards and instro panels. 

My next addition to the Ute is some draws in the back which i started to tape out a template in the tray yesterday, went and found a 100 AH battery to put in so i can use it as part of my template (just went driving looking in peoples yards near their bins for any batteries they are throwing out, found one to use so far.

My neighbor is a boiley at the local Fab shop specializing in Ally, so he is going to get me some lengths of ally and offered to weld up a frame for my draws for a couple of cartons of beer....im happy with that deal, and im starting to look into my suspension upgrades.  I like tinkering with this stuff and am looking forward to swapping out the suspension shortly.

23548109_311314866014868_71920604_n.jpg

23557903_311314902681531_215344198_o.jpg

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

I drilled a few holes in the side of my Ute on Friday afternoon, so i could fit up my new snorkel........thankfully it all lined up perfectly and the new snorkel is on and the car is breathing cleaner air.

23549695_311314966014858_948012301_n.jpg

23555328_311314996014855_2138885266_o.jpg

You are much braver than me!!  I'm paying someone to do mine - just can't stand the thought of drilling into the side of a new ute!

If you are looking for drawers, I highly recommend the Titan drawers from 4wd Supacentre. I got mine for about $400 (pickup).  Nothing else remotely close to that kind of price for what you get.  They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Cheers

57 minutes ago, Ayto said:

They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Your svelte figure would offset any additional weight :)

1 hour ago, Ayto said:

You are much braver than me!!  I'm paying someone to do mine - just can't stand the thought of drilling into the side of a new ute!

If you are looking for drawers, I highly recommend the Titan drawers from 4wd Supacentre. I got mine for about $400 (pickup).  Nothing else remotely close to that kind of price for what you get.  They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Cheers

I looked into those titan ones, but the freight cost to Karratha was dearer than the drawers them selves, with my engineer using auto cad and my neighbor supply the ally and labor for a couple of cartons i think ill come out in front then its just my time dressing them and installing them.

Freight is a killer to Karratha

I got my kids a swag each from the supa center and on the weekend i seasoned them, i think for the value you cant go wrong, my young fella has slept in his every night this week, is refusing to allow me to pack it away!

23585080_311314942681527_531561453_o.thumb.jpg.875dd7984e2674a7f81252111d935600.jpg

• Like 1

Yep. getcha re the freight thing.

My little bloke loves his swag as well. We would take the Camper trailer away and even though it has room for all of us (sleeps 6), he always wanted his swag packed.

I should have said that basically anything that burns fossil fuels is a good get-away.  They won't be around forever, so burn them up now eh?

On 11/15/2017 at 8:56 PM, BC_J400 said:

I should have said that basically anything that burns fossil fuels is a good get-away.  They won't be around forever, so burn them up now eh?

For me, I'm at my happiest when I'm some place where fossils arn't being burnt. Out in the middle of the bush or in the ocean.

New Year was with three friends at Lake Oberon in Tasmania's Western Arthurs Range. Three days to walk in, more to walk out. Most memorable New Years Eve that I have ever enjoyed.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

For me, I'm at my happiest when I'm some place where fossils arn't being burnt. Out in the middle of the bush or in the ocean.

New Year was with three friends at Lake Oberon in Tasmania's Western Arthurs Range. Three days to walk in, more to walk out. Most memorable New Years Eve that I have ever enjoyed.

Thats sounds so great Paul..very jealous

1 hour ago, softy said:

Put on a beret and....

15 minute landscape.jpg

Lures.jpg

Rainbow trout.jpg

Damn they are good paintings Softy.  Been thinking about airbrushing a dryfly pic on the tailgate of my old Hilux, but need to sort out a design & practice first.

1 hour ago, softy said:

Put on a beret and....

15 minute landscape.jpg

Very nice. That's a lovely landscape.

Very nice Softy! I assume they are watercolour and also something else I’d be interested in trying along with learning a musical instrument.

6 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Thats sounds so great Paul..very jealous

Yes, the isolation, the arduous walk in and out, and the fickle weather all combine to make Lake Oberon such an idyllic location.

If it were convenient to get to, it would be overrun and spoiled.

We all carried in some extravagances (by multi-day hiking standards) for a NYE feast. Not too much better than toasting in a cold NYE on an impossibly starry night with hot chocolate fortified with Bailey's.

Except maybe a sunny afternoon and some skinny dipping in Lake Oberon.

• Like 1

TQ all...I didn't have much artistic talent but YouTube has a wealth of knowledge and demos for watercolour painting, that's where I've picked it up from.

It has been frustrating at times but each new page comes with it's problems ( lessons really ), then things start to come together. When I think too much and try to put too much detail, it ends up going tits up. Best results have been by letting the water and the pigments do the work and learning how to trick the viewers eye.  

Ultimately I want to be in a position where I can set up outside, rough sketch a land or streetscape and paint it and have passers by think...." that looks like what I can see.."

• Like 1

Another job done on the 4wd build, UHF install done and powered up, I wanted it out of the way, so being that my ashtray serves no purpose it was time for it to go, and the uhfsots in beautifully, I’ve powered directly from my fuse block I’ve put in so I can keep it powered on even if the ute isn’t running, I’ll have to come up with an idea to use something to fill in the gaps around the uhf, I’m not sure material to use yet but it can wait.  Starting to get closer to the bigger ticket items now, the winch arrived on Friday but I have no bullbar as yet, and my two spare steel rims arrived also, I’m switching over to steel rims because I’m not a fan of alloy wheels when travelling remotely, got the steel ones for $110 each on the work account, I’ll end up with 6 Steelies soon. 

Next purcahse is a suspension upgrade and I’ll fit that myself also 

6D426268-CF39-4308-8971-E63B3498A4AE.jpeg

25FC08AA-A49F-4791-8DCD-410ED2B8E348.jpeg

D31345DC-AD72-475B-B3D8-4F320117EDF4.jpeg

29 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Another job done on the 4wd build, UHF install done and powered up, I wanted it out of the way, so being that my ashtray serves no purpose it was time for it to go, and the uhfsots in beautifully, I’ve powered directly from my fuse block I’ve put in so I can keep it powered on even if the ute isn’t running, I’ll have to come up with an idea to use something to fill in the gaps around the uhf, I’m not sure material to use yet but it can wait.  Starting to get closer to the bigger ticket items now, the winch arrived on Friday but I have no bullbar as yet, and my two spare steel rims arrived also, I’m switching over to steel rims because I’m not a fan of alloy wheels when travelling remotely, got the steel ones for $110 each on the work account, I’ll end up with 6 Steelies soon. 

Next purcahse is a suspension upgrade and I’ll fit that myself also 

D31345DC-AD72-475B-B3D8-4F320117EDF4.jpeg

That kid is thinking something, I reckon his sister may be involved. :lol:

Sound very similar to you Kieran in that I am slowly building up my ute.

I have booked in for a GVM upgrade in January which will include a lift, however before I do I need to get bullbar and winch fitted (have the same winch as you sitting in the shed un-opened) to make sure it all sits nice and level when done.

Wish I was as handy as you, especially around 12v. For some reason it just does my head in - it's a black art to me!!

14 hours ago, FatPom said:

That kid is thinking something, I reckon his sister may be involved. :lol:

Was thinking similar.  He's wondering 'what sort of evil can I do with that bit of gear.....once I'm done with this peanut butter sarny' :D

50 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Sound very similar to you Kieran in that I am slowly building up my ute.

I have booked in for a GVM upgrade in January which will include a lift, however before I do I need to get bullbar and winch fitted (have the same winch as you sitting in the shed un-opened) to make sure it all sits nice and level when done.

Wish I was as handy as you, especially around 12v. For some reason it just does my head in - it's a black art to me!!

Ayto- yep as the funds allow im just doing bit by bit, Im in no way handy, I just give it a go (im too tight to pay someone to do it, plus its a learning opportunity).  i don't have any assistance here from friends or anything like that in regards to electrical stuff, I just learnt how to use a multi meter the other day, but i just take my time, Im currently trying to figure out how to change the light in the canopy from the standard globe to an LED strip, i didn't realize you can get solder less connections as i cut the led strip but didn't know how to connect it to a connection...i do now.

GVM upgrade, is this for a Ute or wagon, is your camper too heavy?  which lift are you going with.  my current thinking with the lift for my Ute is this - 3" dobinson coils in the front, 2" dobinsons rear leaf springs and bilstein shocks all round, that will make here dead level as i intend on fitting up a dual wheel carrier on the hilux and that will make the arse quite heavy, only thing with that means i will have to get after market upper control arms for the front and they retail at between $700 -$990 which is a lot for that extra 1" on the front.  if i just stick with 2" all round i dont need them and i can save $1k...either way ill be going with dobinsons and bilsteins just need to decide 2 or 3" on the front.