Jump to content
KieranR

What do you do to get away from Triathlon?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Very good for doing neat holes in panelwork. The is an example of one. We used to use them to make neat holes in switchboard & panels. Does a very neat job and leaves no burs or swarf. 

 

 

Looks like you did a great job anyway.

Thanks,

I like the look of that thing, but probably not worth the cost for what i needed, although if i knew that was such a thing i probably could have gotten one to borrow from some people here as we have our E&I guys working on switch boards and instro panels. 

My next addition to the Ute is some draws in the back which i started to tape out a template in the tray yesterday, went and found a 100 AH battery to put in so i can use it as part of my template (just went driving looking in peoples yards near their bins for any batteries they are throwing out, found one to use so far.

My neighbor is a boiley at the local Fab shop specializing in Ally, so he is going to get me some lengths of ally and offered to weld up a frame for my draws for a couple of cartons of beer....im happy with that deal, and im starting to look into my suspension upgrades.  I like tinkering with this stuff and am looking forward to swapping out the suspension shortly.

23548109_311314866014868_71920604_n.jpg

23557903_311314902681531_215344198_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KieranR said:

I drilled a few holes in the side of my Ute on Friday afternoon, so i could fit up my new snorkel........thankfully it all lined up perfectly and the new snorkel is on and the car is breathing cleaner air.

 

23549695_311314966014858_948012301_n.jpg

23555328_311314996014855_2138885266_o.jpg

 

You are much braver than me!!  I'm paying someone to do mine - just can't stand the thought of drilling into the side of a new ute!

If you are looking for drawers, I highly recommend the Titan drawers from 4wd Supacentre. I got mine for about $400 (pickup).  Nothing else remotely close to that kind of price for what you get.  They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ayto said:

They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Your svelte figure would offset any additional weight :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ayto said:

 

You are much braver than me!!  I'm paying someone to do mine - just can't stand the thought of drilling into the side of a new ute!

If you are looking for drawers, I highly recommend the Titan drawers from 4wd Supacentre. I got mine for about $400 (pickup).  Nothing else remotely close to that kind of price for what you get.  They are heavy, but thats about the only downside for me so far.

Cheers

I looked into those titan ones, but the freight cost to Karratha was dearer than the drawers them selves, with my engineer using auto cad and my neighbor supply the ally and labor for a couple of cartons i think ill come out in front then its just my time dressing them and installing them.

Freight is a killer to Karratha

I got my kids a swag each from the supa center and on the weekend i seasoned them, i think for the value you cant go wrong, my young fella has slept in his every night this week, is refusing to allow me to pack it away!

 

23585080_311314942681527_531561453_o.thumb.jpg.875dd7984e2674a7f81252111d935600.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. getcha re the freight thing.

My little bloke loves his swag as well. We would take the Camper trailer away and even though it has room for all of us (sleeps 6), he always wanted his swag packed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should have said that basically anything that burns fossil fuels is a good get-away.  They won't be around forever, so burn them up now eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 8:56 PM, BC_J400 said:

I should have said that basically anything that burns fossil fuels is a good get-away.  They won't be around forever, so burn them up now eh?

For me, I'm at my happiest when I'm some place where fossils arn't being burnt. Out in the middle of the bush or in the ocean.

New Year was with three friends at Lake Oberon in Tasmania's Western Arthurs Range. Three days to walk in, more to walk out. Most memorable New Years Eve that I have ever enjoyed.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

For me, I'm at my happiest when I'm some place where fossils arn't being burnt. Out in the middle of the bush or in the ocean.

New Year was with three friends at Lake Oberon in Tasmania's Western Arthurs Range. Three days to walk in, more to walk out. Most memorable New Years Eve that I have ever enjoyed.

Thats sounds so great Paul..very jealous

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, softy said:

Put on a beret and....

15 minute landscape.jpg

Lures.jpg

Rainbow trout.jpg

Damn they are good paintings Softy.  Been thinking about airbrushing a dryfly pic on the tailgate of my old Hilux, but need to sort out a design & practice first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, softy said:

Put on a beret and....

15 minute landscape.jpg

Very nice. That's a lovely landscape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Softy! I assume they are watercolour and also something else I’d be interested in trying along with learning a musical instrument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Thats sounds so great Paul..very jealous

 

Yes, the isolation, the arduous walk in and out, and the fickle weather all combine to make Lake Oberon such an idyllic location.

If it were convenient to get to, it would be overrun and spoiled.

We all carried in some extravagances (by multi-day hiking standards) for a NYE feast. Not too much better than toasting in a cold NYE on an impossibly starry night with hot chocolate fortified with Bailey's.

Except maybe a sunny afternoon and some skinny dipping in Lake Oberon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TQ all...I didn't have much artistic talent but YouTube has a wealth of knowledge and demos for watercolour painting, that's where I've picked it up from.

It has been frustrating at times but each new page comes with it's problems ( lessons really ), then things start to come together. When I think too much and try to put too much detail, it ends up going tits up. Best results have been by letting the water and the pigments do the work and learning how to trick the viewers eye.  

Ultimately I want to be in a position where I can set up outside, rough sketch a land or streetscape and paint it and have passers by think...." that looks like what I can see.."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another job done on the 4wd build, UHF install done and powered up, I wanted it out of the way, so being that my ashtray serves no purpose it was time for it to go, and the uhfsots in beautifully, I’ve powered directly from my fuse block I’ve put in so I can keep it powered on even if the ute isn’t running, I’ll have to come up with an idea to use something to fill in the gaps around the uhf, I’m not sure material to use yet but it can wait.  Starting to get closer to the bigger ticket items now, the winch arrived on Friday but I have no bullbar as yet, and my two spare steel rims arrived also, I’m switching over to steel rims because I’m not a fan of alloy wheels when travelling remotely, got the steel ones for $110 each on the work account, I’ll end up with 6 Steelies soon. 

Next purcahse is a suspension upgrade and I’ll fit that myself also 

6D426268-CF39-4308-8971-E63B3498A4AE.jpeg

25FC08AA-A49F-4791-8DCD-410ED2B8E348.jpeg

D31345DC-AD72-475B-B3D8-4F320117EDF4.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Another job done on the 4wd build, UHF install done and powered up, I wanted it out of the way, so being that my ashtray serves no purpose it was time for it to go, and the uhfsots in beautifully, I’ve powered directly from my fuse block I’ve put in so I can keep it powered on even if the ute isn’t running, I’ll have to come up with an idea to use something to fill in the gaps around the uhf, I’m not sure material to use yet but it can wait.  Starting to get closer to the bigger ticket items now, the winch arrived on Friday but I have no bullbar as yet, and my two spare steel rims arrived also, I’m switching over to steel rims because I’m not a fan of alloy wheels when travelling remotely, got the steel ones for $110 each on the work account, I’ll end up with 6 Steelies soon. 

Next purcahse is a suspension upgrade and I’ll fit that myself also 

 

 

D31345DC-AD72-475B-B3D8-4F320117EDF4.jpeg

That kid is thinking something, I reckon his sister may be involved. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sound very similar to you Kieran in that I am slowly building up my ute.

I have booked in for a GVM upgrade in January which will include a lift, however before I do I need to get bullbar and winch fitted (have the same winch as you sitting in the shed un-opened) to make sure it all sits nice and level when done.

Wish I was as handy as you, especially around 12v. For some reason it just does my head in - it's a black art to me!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FatPom said:

That kid is thinking something, I reckon his sister may be involved. :lol:

Was thinking similar.  He's wondering 'what sort of evil can I do with that bit of gear.....once I'm done with this peanut butter sarny' :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Sound very similar to you Kieran in that I am slowly building up my ute.

I have booked in for a GVM upgrade in January which will include a lift, however before I do I need to get bullbar and winch fitted (have the same winch as you sitting in the shed un-opened) to make sure it all sits nice and level when done.

Wish I was as handy as you, especially around 12v. For some reason it just does my head in - it's a black art to me!!

Ayto- yep as the funds allow im just doing bit by bit, Im in no way handy, I just give it a go (im too tight to pay someone to do it, plus its a learning opportunity).  i don't have any assistance here from friends or anything like that in regards to electrical stuff, I just learnt how to use a multi meter the other day, but i just take my time, Im currently trying to figure out how to change the light in the canopy from the standard globe to an LED strip, i didn't realize you can get solder less connections as i cut the led strip but didn't know how to connect it to a connection...i do now.

GVM upgrade, is this for a Ute or wagon, is your camper too heavy?  which lift are you going with.  my current thinking with the lift for my Ute is this - 3" dobinson coils in the front, 2" dobinsons rear leaf springs and bilstein shocks all round, that will make here dead level as i intend on fitting up a dual wheel carrier on the hilux and that will make the arse quite heavy, only thing with that means i will have to get after market upper control arms for the front and they retail at between $700 -$990 which is a lot for that extra 1" on the front.  if i just stick with 2" all round i dont need them and i can save $1k...either way ill be going with dobinsons and bilsteins just need to decide 2 or 3" on the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Was thinking similar.  He's wondering 'what sort of evil can I do with that bit of gear.....once I'm done with this peanut butter sarny' :D

He will be thinking of some way to harass his sister for sure.  To be honest im just glad hes eating, he has Coeliac disease amongst other things and we really struggle to get food into him most times, so anytime hes eating is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Ayto- yep as the funds allow im just doing bit by bit, Im in no way handy, I just give it a go (im too tight to pay someone to do it, plus its a learning opportunity).  i don't have any assistance here from friends or anything like that in regards to electrical stuff, I just learnt how to use a multi meter the other day, but i just take my time, Im currently trying to figure out how to change the light in the canopy from the standard globe to an LED strip, i didn't realize you can get solder less connections as i cut the led strip but didn't know how to connect it to a connection...i do now.

GVM upgrade, is this for a Ute or wagon, is your camper too heavy?  which lift are you going with.  my current thinking with the lift for my Ute is this - 3" dobinson coils in the front, 2" dobinsons rear leaf springs and bilstein shocks all round, that will make here dead level as i intend on fitting up a dual wheel carrier on the hilux and that will make the arse quite heavy, only thing with that means i will have to get after market upper control arms for the front and they retail at between $700 -$990 which is a lot for that extra 1" on the front.  if i just stick with 2" all round i dont need them and i can save $1k...either way ill be going with dobinsons and bilsteins just need to decide 2 or 3" on the front.

I've sourced the GVM upgrade via Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne, who use Lovells gear.  Will give a 2" lift all round.

Probably don't need the GVM upgrade with some careful packing, but it will give me 450kg extra.  By the time you factor in all bar work, winch, canopy, drawers, water, fuel, then add the ball weight from the camper trailer (circa 220kg) its starting to get up there.  Would rather have some fat built in to make sure we absolutely stay legal.

BTW, just come across your ute thread on MySwag - there's some good info on there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ayto said:

I've sourced the GVM upgrade via Statewide 4x4 in Melbourne, who use Lovells gear.  Will give a 2" lift all round.

Probably don't need the GVM upgrade with some careful packing, but it will give me 450kg extra.  By the time you factor in all bar work, winch, canopy, drawers, water, fuel, then add the ball weight from the camper trailer (circa 220kg) its starting to get up there.  Would rather have some fat built in to make sure we absolutely stay legal.

BTW, just come across your ute thread on MySwag - there's some good info on there!

yeah asking lots of questions on there, i feel la bit dumb asking on there but the guys seem helpful.  id love to be able to find my old blog with my old ute i built up but i cant seem to track it down, might have list it to the internet gods

I did consider Lovells also.  what camper do you have, i used to have a camprite, we bloody loved that ting, wish we still had it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got a Stoney Creek Camper Trailer - FF6 is the model.  Has a rear slide that pulls out to give another queen sized bed, so in total it has a King size up from, the queen at the rear and the lounge area folds down for another queen.

Massive step up from our old one - a 40 year old Sunwagon Pop up.  Was awesome and had been fully renovated including canvas, but it was getting to the point where I was spending more time working on it rather than using it.

Replaced it with the FF6 in February and haven't looked back. Spoilt though............often think about just grabbing the swag and going bush!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight I put some marine carpet in the tray so my soon to be built draws will sit on it and I wired up an LED strip light and removed the old standard light bulb! Stoked with both jobs actually. And I finished up the design of my draws yesterday, just need the neighbour to lay off the beers and then we’ll be welding away

8C544897-065B-4D60-845E-0EDA1AC75FFC.jpeg

C4BAC979-B4EA-427A-846D-810FE117F9AF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nice.  Will they stay in there all the time?

Yep they will FP, I’m building it up to be a tourer, takes me ages as I prefer to do stuff myself and with colleagues instead of paying shops to do it.  Will build the actual draws in the next week or so then put a floor on top of the frame then I can start my electrical work in the tray.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i installed two roof bars on the canopy roof this weekend as it needed to be done to hold the rack im going to be putting up there, the canopy roof is not weight bearing so i had to install a internal frame then the bars which menat more drilling of holes into the canopy...happy to report everything lined up nicely!

I also decided to carpet some ply and put it on the top of the frame and secure it to it.  i think ive done a good job so far.  the drawers maybe will happen this coming weekend, depends if the draw slides arrive in time.  but its coming along.

Managed to squeeze in a 5km run with the local running club thats just started up, first run since i rolled the ankle, pulled up pretty well i think

 

24177096_319233345223020_7513378970348310273_n.jpg

24232244_319233291889692_8558771344308511417_n.jpg

24293918_319233285223026_4129553694538556553_n.jpg

24231875_319233278556360_2887680646980969322_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kieran,

With all of your talk about career changes, would going to work for Patriot trailers or similar be something you might want to consider?  Or even setting up a similar thing in your weeks not working?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Kieran,

With all of your talk about career changes, would going to work for Patriot trailers or similar be something you might want to consider?  Or even setting up a similar thing in your weeks not working?

Hi CE,

I often wonder lots of things that i could have a go at, for sure something like that would interest me, but im just not sure if i could.

When ive finished these draws in the next couple of weeks im then going to have a go at teaching myself to mig weld (ive borrowed an old one off a work colleague) and im going to build a drop slide for my fridge, I've seen online that people always are chasing people to sell their one that have been made at home but are still very practical, if i can get it to work i might make some in my time off and see if i can sell a couple locally...after all i live in the right place for their to be a demand for them.  the retail ones on the market are between $750 - 1k which i find absurd....sure mine wont be as flash but hopefully it will still work, I've worked out i can get the steel for next to nothing through a contact I have.  will be interesting to see how much i can make one for.

just have to learn how to Mig weld off you tube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go for it mate, the guy who started Patriot did stuff similar to yourself and wanted to make things he knew would stand up on the off road - fair to say he lives a lifestyle many of us would be envious of now complete with some awesome toys to "test".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

 

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot, ill keep updating my thread.

He sure does have some cool things, i saw the video of the A4A boys picking up their new rigs for the latest series, theres some big money being spent there.

I had a really good catch up with Simon and Jase up in the Kimberley back in 2012, pretty cool guys, believe it or not Simon was more chatty than Jase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been thinking of ways to house my two batteries in the tray, had a bit of a lightbulb moment today while clock watching at work, sheet of ply as the base, another sheet on that but cut a well out so the batteries can drop onto the first sheet of ply, this will also mean they will sit below my floor height, bit ruff on the jigsaw tonight as I wanted to see how it would look in reality so not my best work but it’s come up perfect and how I thought it would, so now I can put a bit of angle at each end with some threaded rod and flat bar to secure he batteries down, then I can finish my floor on that side 

0B6E6958-B356-42F9-BD7F-64E21948B778.jpeg

E3CC5B51-9449-49BF-A7B7-94D9481AA58F.jpeg

33000896-1385-4656-BA36-3C2DA010488B.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I finished up the floor today, it all fits well, mou ted my drawer slides for when I hopefully build them this coming weekend, made up my battery clamps but am yet to fit them, took the daughter down to the beach but threw the big fridge in to prove I have plenty of clearance for when I build the fridge slide.  It’s a nice beach we have here this one is perfectly protected even with the howling westerly this arvo

20658EF3-BDB2-43FA-B659-9907A56C20C9.jpeg

4009A551-C719-4D8B-BA2C-091FB1420BF7.jpeg

D0A78CC8-7CDC-407B-9068-68F60EF274DA.jpeg

9373D1D1-AC88-4457-A2AF-2E919AF4CDE7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2017 at 3:17 PM, KieranR said:

Thanks mate, I'll give it a shot, ill keep updating my thread.

Maybe the thread title needs to be updated to "What do I do to get away from triathlon?" ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

Maybe the thread title needs to be updated to "What do I do to get away from triathlon?" ;)

 

Or, Kieran's Bodyshop 101.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Kieran’s body shop 101! If only I knew how to change titles........Roxii ?

took the day off today as the wife booked herself in to do her first aid cert, so after running around with the kiddies all morning I grabbed a couple of hours in between  lunch and swimming lessons and cut up all the ally lengths for the draws to be fabbed up hopefully this weekend. And started to prep the steel for my fridge slide I’m making up, lucky there’s no HSE type person at my house, managed to cut the steel on 45 deg angles and fired up the mug welder and tacked the base together!   Also bought a momentary push button start so I can wire that in to the aux battery maybe this weekend, will mean I can start the car if my crank battery ever dies when out bush, very worth while $30 investment.

F5F88944-718D-4A72-B097-B0CB0373C9FA.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×