riceburner

ageing- from serious stick insect to mammil

Try Metafit, if there's a coach near you. Or other similar online HIIT workouts like fitness blender. Great for shedding fat and building lean muscle as we age. 

1 hour ago, bRace said:

You beat ne to it

Sorry, was posting via my phone and had some technical difficulties. I also meant to add...

1 hour ago, Turts said:

I think in sport, maybe.  As a probably ridiculous generalisation, sport = competition - and men are competitive.

But I see plenty of women being very unaccepting of aging when it comes to wrinkles and grey hair! 

I think you're right. It's more than just a physiological issue, but can have psychological effects also. For a lot of Australian men identity is formed around things like work, sport, competition, etc. As we age and performance potentially decreases, many men can struggle with a perceived loss of identity. Same as for some who lose their job or retire, etc. Not to say this isn't the case for some/many women as well, but it is common in men, which may partly explain the number of guys posting about it in this thread.

It may just reflect the nature of many who are involved in our sport and/or this forum, but I think it's great to see so many (men and women) sharing their experiences and approach to this issue, as well as those seeking advice and strategies to deal with the inevitable ageing process.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roxii said:

One thing I struggle with is the way my "resting weight" has increased over the years.It used to be that if I backed off training and "let myself go" I would end up at about 84kg and pretty much just bob around at that weight until I got back into regular diet/ exercise, but now that point has shifted to about 88-89 kgs

It's nice of you to post that to make me feel better about myself :lol:

PS. Birrong pool 3 times a week mate if you ever wanna join in...

Edited by trinube
  • Like 1

I am not too worried about the ageing process that much. Was never a stick insect to start with, or had any real talent in any sport, and bad family genes. I like to compete and challenge myself.Triathlon has given me an outlet to training for events,and to focus on getting the best out of myself.It must be hard for high end sports people in their younger years to accept they can no longer cut it later in life.At 53 I am just glad to be alive, and fitter than most blokes my age.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, trinube said:

It's nice of you to post that to make me feel better about myself :lol:

In that one post he not only made you feel better about yourself but me feel worse about myself! :lol:

I normally bounce between 79kg for a race & 90kg in the off season.

I didn't drop the weight for my last race.  Got down to about 84/85kg.  It was one of many factors that hurt me on race day.

Currently at 85kg & won't enter another race until I get back under 80kg.

33 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I normally bounce between 79kg for a race & 90kg in the off season.

That sort of range would kill me.  Too much like starting all over from scratch. I'd rather try to keep it fairly consistent.

I'm sure it helps that I don't drink and don't smash that America crap you love :lol: :wine::usaflag:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nealo said:

In that one post he not only made you feel better about yourself but me feel worse about myself! :lol:

We might be heading out your way this weekend with MTBs. You're welcome to join in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trinube said:

That sort of range would kill me.  Too much like starting all over from scratch. I'd rather try to keep it fairly consistent.

I'm sure it helps that I don't drink and don't smash that America crap you love :lol: :wine::usaflag:

It's a long way back from 90kg...... 85 is not so hard. I think the balance between IM training & my off season has kept me in the sport for so long.  Started this journey in 2004.  Plenty of others have come & gone. Some of them even raced Kona.  One guy raced Kona & has never done a race since.  He is now a big fat slob

1 hour ago, trinube said:

We might be heading out your way this weekend with MTBs. You're welcome to join in...

Who, when, where? I may be keen 

Above all ageing well in this sport and having a balanced life depends on having a long term goal - a clear goal - and discipline 

All the guys I know who have been in the sport a long time and have transitioned well are disciplined

Disciplined doesn't mean training like you're 35 when you're 55 - the guys who are still in the sport doing well have either had a coach who adjusts their training back to suit their ability to recover, or they have managed to do that well on their own

A young coach is only guessing how it is for an older athlete, you have to have been there and gained experience along the way to get the best out of older athletes without injuring them :wheelchair:

6 hours ago, roxii said:

One thing I struggle with is the way my "resting weight" has increased over the years.

It used to be that if I backed off training and "let myself go" I would end up at about 84kg and pretty much just bob around at that weight until I got back into regular diet/ exercise, but now that point has shifted to about 88-89 kgs

I had some struggles with this. When Flipper was born my weight had crept up from 78kgs in mid 2013 to 85kgs by Feb 2014 and I didn't see sub 80kg again until this year. What I did notice though is that my 'alarm point' has dropped in the last 12mths to 82-83kgs. 

I've just had two weeks holiday and start a new job next Monday. On holiday I did some surfing, riding, running but not that much. I didn't care what I ate and probably had the 'let it go' fortnight that I should have had after IM Wales.  On the scales this morning I am 81.5kgs.

I think two things helped lower the max point.  Tracking my activity on a XLS from last Feb, having interim goals leading up to the big race and most of all, some genuine consistency.  I'm ion the process of working out next year's goals and have to be mindful of my new commute (approx 45 mins).  There is a gym on site at least :)

I've found that mentally, sub 80kgs has a huge effect on my motivation.

20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

It's a long way back from 90kg...... 85 is not so hard. I think the balance between IM training & my off season has kept me in the sport for so long.  Started this journey in 2004.  Plenty of others have come & gone. Some of them even raced Kona.  One guy raced Kona & has never done a race since.  He is now a big fat slob

Bored, you're in the same weight range as me but your about ten years younger. I Have to agree about racing IM around the 80 kg Mark. It's great for competing but I've found that at that weight I was really susceptible to colds and flu. Bit harder to get to 80kgs as you get older but it's a goal to aim for. Last two IMs I have made it to 82kg for IM NZ 2011 and 84 kg for IM Melb in 2012. What I learnt was I wasn't near as susceptible to sickness at those weights but my knees did hurt a bit more after the race for a few days. I guess it's a balance that we need to seek. 

A couple of things I've done that are similar and enabled me to keep competing well after a lot of others have dropped off ( I started this journey in 1985 and my IM journey in 1996) is:

i never force my body to lose weight or lean down. I just eat normally and let the extra training for IM dictate how my body reacts and finds its weight to handle what I'm asking of it. I do use multi vitamin supplements and the type and dosage has changed with age ( I buy them from a shop, not have them delivered by a guy on a motorbike mid race, lol). 

I usually have a years break between IMs. Because I'm a bigger framed guy, I have found it best to let the body fully recover before mounting another IM campaign. This was based early on in my journey from having to qualify for Forster. I used to play the numbers game for a lottery spot by doing three HIM qualifiers over a four months period between August and December. Two of those races were just big training days and provided me some excellent quality training away from work and home. 

Every year after the Tri season I take all of May and some of June off. I may do the odd ride or run but I'm definitely not swimming or doing anything structured. Fortunately the weather in Melbourne sucks at that time of year and staying out of the cold is welcome.

lastly. Because life happens around this sport, I don't have rigid plans for competing if IM not doing an Ironman or a goal 70.3 race. In Victoria there's a race on every weekend somewhere. I train to just go and do races at a few days notice. It's great for your brains well being. Last summer I ended up doing a low key race in Horsham on my road bike, no wet suit and old runners just because I found out about it two days prior. I was at the country house and all my usual race gear was back in Melbourne. The race was a blast and the locals friendly. Lesson relearnt, keep it simple and keep it fun.

• Like 1

Weiight gain is an interesting topic  for us ' athletes' . A coach once told me to 'control the controlable' eg I cant do anthying about crap weather on race day but I can do something about my attitude to it & not let it ruin my day. Is our weight one of the easier things we can have a say about or 'control'?  In not pointing the finger or  anything like that - just that we all feel better when we're at our fighting weight yet we ... well, you know, eat or drink too much or too many when 1 or 2 is all we really need 😉

• Like 3

more great wisdom/discussion from everyone-  i agree that the psychological side/identity thing is important and dealing with this is very hard- its easy to plan the physical and know what to- but accepting that im getting older and slower is harder to deal with.

thanks again to everyone  who has replied to this topic.

I turned 40 earlier in the year and was devastated about it! But...  now when I tell people I’m 40 I get lots of compliments about how young I look.

I find that I need way more sleep, but I don’t know if that is related to age or whether it’s because I have more responsibility etc at work than what I did 5-10-15 years ago. 

I also find I have to work harder to maintain my weight, but again, 10 years ago I had a lot more flexibility at work to train regularly than what I do now.

Mentally I feel about 30-32. Age hasn’t really had an impact on me... it seems to be my lifestyle/work that has impacted me the most. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, riceburner said:

more great wisdom/discussion from everyone-  i agree that the psychological side/identity thing is important and dealing with this is very hard- its easy to plan the physical and know what to- but accepting that im getting older and slower is harder to deal with.

thanks again to everyone  who has replied to this topic.

Sport aside, I've never really felt my age or worried about getting old. I really didn't give it much thought until we had Flipper, then it started to dawn on me how old I was getting and I began to worry about the effect on her as goes to school etc and everyone thinking I'm her Grandad. :wheelchair:

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Sport aside, I've never really felt my age or worried about getting old. I really didn't give it much thought until we had Flipper, then it started to dawn on me how old I was getting and I began to worry about the effect on her as goes to school etc and everyone thinking I'm her Grandad. :wheelchair:

I started feeling old in my late 30's. I'd been out of any type of sport for 10 years, put on 25kg, and was finding difficult to get down & play with the kids. Other than a few specific aches & pains, physically I feel younger now than I did then, 15 years ago.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Lyle and his young bloke have been out to Loftus the past couple of weeks and seem to be hooked. I'm hoping to head out with them and Matthew on Saturday morning but not sure of time. I'll find out and let you know but you need to understand we're not real MTB riders we'll just be cruising around :) You won't miss Matthew on his fat bike - I'll be shamefully riding a Giant.

Edited by trinube

I'm 56. Every time I go for a 100km ride or do a half marathon or even more the odd half ironman I think it's just great.  And I cherish every one of them, even those I feel crap in. Regard myself as fortunate, even lucky.

Doing IM was a 50th birthday present to myself, dedicating the time mostly. Years ago I retired from squash as I saw too many chronic injuries, and was warned about such, deciding then I would just stick to running to stay fit. I wanted -- and still want - to be able to do stuff at 70, even though it's a lottery. Might be ironman, marathon,, or ride around Australia, all  would be fantastic.

And in this context, someone who I only found out about a couple of years ago: Ernie Old

"One of Ernie’s rides that stood out to me was when he rode from Sydney to Brisbane aged 71, he covered the distance of 428 km from Scone in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, over the hilly ranges of the New England Tablelands to Tenterfield, in one day."

I don't mind the gradually getting slower, and the drop-off isn't that fast. For me the bigger concern is a crunch through sudden bad injury, or crashing the bike. And of course as you get older you see more and more people randomly  die  or become disabled 'young' from various things.

First time in  a bloody long time I've been on!

A good topic and one that I have a lot of 'self talk' about. Being a spritely 46 yo and pretty serious about my chosen sport(s), the following are my golden rules to staying within a healthy weight range, injury free (let's not include bike crashes in this !), enjoying and even evolving or 're-inventing' how you train as you age.

My base line fitness is to be '1/2 Ironman ready'. ie- If I had the yearning to race a  70.3, I could easily tweak my training and be race ready within a few weeks. Base line means a minimum of - swimming a few times a week, running every 2nd day and riding 3 x a week - one long and a few shorter, harder rides. This is a minimum all year round.

Sleep.... One thing I have found as I get older is increased tiredness. Don't fight it - be rigid with your sleeping times, I go to bed at 9:20pm and get up at 4:20am to train. Obviously Friday and Saturday nights can play havoc with this, so modify training to get the sleep in.

Train with good mates and younger blokes as well. It keeps your enthusiasm up, the young fellas are great for a laugh and their turn of speed on the bike will take your riding to the next level, an added benefit is if you're tired and can't be stuffed in the morning, the sh1t hanging you cop is not worth the no show !

Strengthen, strengthen, strengthen. Work your core - everything you do in this sport is driven from this part of your body. Neglect it and injury, lesser power outputs, lower back issues, shortening of stride length etc will haunt you.

Cheers (and time for bed !),

Matty

• Like 3

14 hours ago, trinube said:

I'm away on boys weekend, have fun.

Reading all your sob stories about weight makes me laugh :P I used to race at 71-74kgs. I'm now upwards of 100kgs. I'm enjoying myself more now that I'm not anal about anything than when I was running 140kms a week. I wanted to get back in sub 3hr mara shape but to be honest, I don't have the drive to get me there anymore. Im capable no doubt - a good coach said to me recently... The only thing in between me and my PBs is about 30kgs 104.9 this morning). Might go back to rugby. 

Just do whatever makes you happy. If it's not making you happy and it's more obsessive then find something else to do. Triathlon is a somewhat unhealthy sport IMO. It's become very elitist. 

Edited by willie
  • Like 4

"One of Ernie’s rides that stood out to me was when he rode from Sydney to Brisbane aged 71, he covered the distance of 428 km from Scone in the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, over the hilly ranges of the New England Tablelands to Tenterfield, in one day."

This is not right - no way a 71yr old man can do that in one day - if the distance is really 428km the story is wrong ;)

My base line fitness is to be '1/2 Ironman ready'. ie- If I had the yearning to race a  70.3, I could easily tweak my training and be race ready within a few weeks. Base line means a minimum of - swimming a few times a week, running every 2nd day and riding 3 x a week - one long and a few shorter, harder rides. This is a minimum all year round.

Sleep.... One thing I have found as I get older is increased tiredness. Don't fight it - be rigid with your sleeping times, I go to bed at 9:20pm and get up at 4:20am to train. Obviously Friday and Saturday nights can play havoc with this, so modify training to get the sleep in.

Train with good mates and younger blokes as well. It keeps your enthusiasm up, the young fellas are great for a laugh and their turn of speed on the bike will take your riding to the next level, an added benefit is if you're tired and can't be stuffed in the morning, the sh1t hanging you cop is not worth the no show !

Strengthen, strengthen, strengthen. Work your core - everything you do in this sport is driven from this part of your body. Neglect it and injury, lesser power outputs, lower back issues, shortening of stride length etc will haunt you.

This is real good common sense - this is the formula for longevity in this sport B) 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, willie said:

Just do whatever makes you happy. If it's not making you happy and it's more obsessive then find something else to do. Triathlon is a somewhat unhealthy sport IMO. It's become very elitist. 

I do see a lot of people become obsessive about it and you can see they're not enjoying the training. How do you mean elitist?

From an activity point of view, I think 'anything is better than nothing' should be a mantra for everyone.

For beyond that, perhaps have a read of what Laird Hamilton thinks: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-0521-laird-hamilton-20160521-snap-story.html

An example: 

1. Forget age. Just keep driving the car: I take better care of myself today not as an accommodation to age but to maintain continual high levels of performance and just to feel good. I have a friend, Don Wildman, who’s 83 years old — and the guy’s an absolute stud who works out with weights, mountain bikes, paddles, surfs every day. Don’s a living example of what it’s like when you just keep driving the car.

I think what happens is that we decide we’re old and we just stop, and everything stops working. There’s so much stigma and weirdness around being older. Don and I were watching a tennis match and the announcer was saying, “He’s 34 years old!” Get over it — and keep moving. Don’t wait until you have a health scare or collapse. Get off your [butt] and feel better now.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, roxii said:

I might see if I can talk my young bloke into coming. I too will be on a giant 

PM time and loc pls.  Arvo out with swim meet but morning good.  Two more giants if times align

Pertinent topic. I loved that Laird article when I first read it. You youngsters could do well to listen to Uncle Trinube, his weekly consistent routine is very sensible and has him in very good nick for his age and orthopaedic history!!

I quit triathlon in 2012. Pulled out of the run at Husky after hurting my back 5 minutes before the start putting on my timing chip, then drove my bike into the drivethru at South Nowra Macca's tearing the roof racks off the Prado  and said "**** this sport". Couldn't see myself going any better than I had in previous 2 years, had lost the love of training when my guts, and heat made racing less fun than it should have been

Took up O/35 soccer at 42 years old. Easily fittest bloke in our team, and probably the comp, ran my arse off in centre-mid for 3 seasons and loved it. Last 2 years I have come back to the pack. Recovery is appalling, can't run for 2 days after a game, walk like a cripple Mon and Tues. The inevitable groin and hammy strains a couple of times a season, despite a regular strengthening program and solid injury prevention stuff (ham and groin programs, core stuff). This season I missed the grand final after tearing a groin in the final. My weight has crept up 1 or 2 kg a year last 3 years and my beep test has gone steadily backwards. The fun on Sunday is now less than the overall benefit so I told the boys last weekend I am done. I could play O/45s but have a ski lodge membership I haven't used for a few years and a daughter at Uni next winter so will plan to send some time down the snow, do some hikes, camping, something different.

I enjoy going to the gym and doing a full body weights session 3 times a week. It is a massive mental health break for me as well as fixing a grumbly over back and reversing the 10 year triathlon induced emaciation.  I have started back on my MTB in the last month and done a MAF run test (5km hurt!) and beep test this week. Going to start some run training and try and strip back a few kilos before Christmas (3 down already). I even found the new swim goggles I bought 2 years ago and may get them wet and get out in the surf. Just do stuff I enjoy and forget about competing for a while.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Diamonds said:

PM time and loc pls.  Arvo out with swim meet but morning good.  Two more giants if times align

Following. Another Giant to add to this.

Oh Parky, you are a physio....'s dream.  You're too crippled to play soccer so you're going skiing instead.  I'm sure you have people that will be able to put you back together again afterwards!

They just held Rd1 of the local sprint race series here (400/20/4) and the winning time by a 21yo-ish was 2.8% slower than my best time at age 47. How good would it be to win one at 54 - a comeback next year perhaps?  Show those young woosies how to race HARD :lol:........or maybe I'll just go fishin' :D

10 hours ago, -H- said:

Oh Parky, you are a physio....'s dream.  You're too crippled to play soccer so you're going skiing instead.  I'm sure you have people that will be able to put you back together again afterwards!

I've seen more trauma on a soccer pitch in 5 years than in 25 years skiing.

I'm racing in the over 35's Crits tonight.  Plenty of old dudes refusing to give up and accept they are no longer in their 20's. 

I thought I would try something different this off season. Race a crits and a few road races to keep the weight off.  I'm also going to look at doing a few ocean swims. 

I had to face reality last year after the 70.3 WC on the Sunny Coast and recognise that my 68 year-old knees had had enough.  Main problem was caused as a 21 year old playing rugby and I consider myself fortunate to have lasted this long running.  I am also happy that I managed a couple of IMs in my 60's following retirement, so I have ticked all the boxes I wanted to in the sport which I have been doing since 1983.

However, I am still cycling and swimming as much as ever and do not have to worry about recovery after the long run day.  The only down side is the lack of aquabike races to get my competitive fix.

45 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

IShe's 55kgs and deadlifts 60kgs, more than her bodyweight. I'm 66kgs and only deadlift 65kgs.

Don't feel bad - the incredibly cute, sweet looking, 48kg  teacher at yoga tonight metaphorically tore my frikken arms off. I'm struggling to type...

On 30/10/2017 at 6:24 PM, roxii said:

On 31/10/2017 at 12:08 PM, Diamonds said:

On 31/10/2017 at 8:07 PM, Parkside said:

Following. Another Giant to add to this.

So what time suits? Would 9.30-10ish be OK?  The weather could be hit and miss but we're happy to head out and have a go. Be advised we're not MTB riders so if you blokes want to do your own thing that's cool too. We'll just trail along behind and I'll probably be pushing the young bloke up hills :)

Hey mate don’t plan around me just let me know when and where and I’ll see if I can make it.

mrs has informed me where are car shopping this weekend. So like someone with a gastric bug, I’m unsure of my movements. 

Would love a spin on some new trails but won't make this weekend now sorry.  Weather not looking great anyway.  Rox, Parky et al, happy to host a ride down my way over summer.  Took a famous shire-ite extrannie and kin on a local spin and they rated it very highly.  A bit busy for a month or so tho.

Not stressed if it's not Saturday but would love to get together one weekend and happy to throw it open to all and sundry.

All being well, Junior Trinube and I will be meeting another father and son at Loftus Oval tomorrow at 9.30. No expectations for anyone else but we'll be there.

Hey IP, the young bloke had a couple of spills today on his fat bike - generally going off drops because he doesn't have any front suspension so he hits the bottom pretty hard. I appreciate they're probably not intended for big drops but any suggestions?

13 hours ago, trinube said:

Hey IP, the young bloke had a couple of spills today on his fat bike - generally going off drops because he doesn't have any front suspension so he hits the bottom pretty hard. I appreciate they're probably not intended for big drops but any suggestions?

I'm not the best technical rider but I would think he just needs to make sure he is hitting the ground with rear wheel just slightly  ahead of the front hitting 

if he is young and light taking the tyre pressure down as low as possible would help also 

tyre pressure is critical in fatbikes , only takes 1 or 2 psi either way to change how a bike handles 

Riding the MTB track on Friday, was talking to a woman in late 60s/early 70s who is a v good local Masters road cyclist, & has just got into MTB.  She tells me in road races her HR is 170-180 :o

I start to feel I'm on my limit at about 160, and anything in the 150s is not that comfortable.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

On 11/11/2017 at 2:02 PM, trinube said:

Is he landing on his rear wheel?

3 minutes ago, zed said:

Is he landing on his rear wheel?

Nah, he's too timid to throw it over a jump just yet - he's trying to ease it down front wheel first.  The problem was the trail was quite narrow and there was a bend directly after the landing zone. I need to find somewhere a bit more open to get his confidence up and then give it a crack.

2 minutes ago, trinube said:

Nah, he's too timid to throw it over a jump just yet - he's trying to ease it down front wheel first.  The problem was the trail was quite narrow and there was a bend directly after the landing zone. I need to find somewhere a bit more open to get his confidence up and then give it a crack.

Are you talking about drops like this?

drop-off-mtb-skills-680x380.jpg

1 minute ago, trinube said:

Nah, he's too timid to throw it over a jump just yet - he's trying to ease it down front wheel first. 

Geez it nearly ended in tears for me on Fri when I took an alternative section of track and threw it off what I thought was a single jump.  Midair, I see the second hump which has a big rock in it.  Gave the bars an upward reef, had just enough speed and managed to clear it by a bees dick.