riceburner

ageing- from serious stick insect to mammil

just wondering how people cope/get their head around the ageing process- was  a serious stick insect all through my 20s and 30s- ie. 3 marathons (2.57 pb), lots of tris, 2 x IM, and now in my 40s-the  last few years weight has crept up and crept while ability to train frequently/consistently has gone down- tore a  calf muscle in Sep . which had me out of action for  8 weeks- just taking baby steps to get back into action/

what mindset/thoughts do you adopt as you enter "middle age"?

Yep, get used to it, it's better than the alternative etc

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Look at other people your age.  I'm about to turn 40.  Plenty of 40 year olds look younger than me but shit a lot of them are fatter & look older. 

I've played touch footy every week with the same blokes for about 25 years - I'm 59 next month.

Pretty much all of them have just got bigger and bigger over the years, even the traditionally skinny ones. It's not that they're lazy or particularly poor eaters, it's just that their bodies are slowing down and they don't have the motivation to work that bit harder. Most of them enjoy a beer or three. We have a few blokes in their 30s play and they think I'm taking the piss when I tell them my age - imagine if I had hair to look younger!

I still hover around the weight I was in my early twenties. I had a bad stretch when the kids were born and beefed up to close to 90kg but gave myself an uppercut and dropped to 79-80kg and seem to be able to maintain it.

It's really hard as you get older. Your body needs constant vigilance and care and the older you get the more vigilant and careful you need to be. I freak out if I see over 80kg on the scales and sharpen up until I drop a bit. I'm a bit OCD so the obsession fits in well.

There's a line in the Desiderata that I always remember "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.". I hate it but know there's common sense in it.

• Like 3

Just smile your way through and accept you can't do what you used to as fast as you used to but at least you can still do it. 

• Like 5

Great topic and an issue that has been really bugging me the past few years.  I'm now 67kgs @ 53 years old, the heaviest I've ever been in my life. Was around 62-63 kgs when racing my fastest at age 48 and smashing the local 20-somethings in sprint races. Much of the weight has gone on my mid-section, though some is more muscle from getting back into strength training 2x/week.

I really had to face aging and mortality when the knees went badly south for 5yrs, and my racing days are by and large over, but incredibly, have climbed out of that hole though gaining weight still shits me.  But getting back into strength training has been a saviour. Triathlon made me incredibly weak and very uni-functional.  There was a great show on Catalyst about the importance of maintaining muscle mass as you age for longevity and a healthy middle/old age, and it is certainly true in my case.

As a fly-fishing guide, I'm amazed at how many people a decade or two younger than me struggle to just move about in the stream and in the bush.  Their balance and fitness is often very poor.  My balance has improved a lot from doing more functional strength wok in the gym (deadlifts, theraband crab walks, skipping etc.).

My biggest weakness weight-wise is diet.  It's probably pretty good compared to most, but still too much processed carbs and alcohol.  And I do think there is an inflammatory component to my diet.

My focus now has shifted from training for fitness and racing, to training for life and health.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My thoughts in general are - Dont use age as an excuse not to stay fit n active n healthy. Respect it but dont give in to it. Youll feel younger getting out there & being involved & you can still have goals - theyre often the things that keep us motivated

Edited by surfer101
Sp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, surfer101 said:

My thoughts in general are - Dont use age as an excuse not to stay fit n active n healthy. Respect it but dont give in to it.

Being selective in what you do is important too and your activities will likely change as you age. I swim way more than I ever did as a kid and more than I run or cycle. I do yoga instead of Judo.

Lots of maturing people take to golf which gives them a nice 6k or 8k walk mixed with a bit of swinging about. I think if more people just got out and walked a few times a week they'd be improving their general health with little chance of injury or heart attack risk etc.

And don't forget sleep and recovery - look after yourself after looking after yourself.

• Like 2

Depression was the first thing that came to mind. Then when I started to accept that I might not run again, I found other outlets. I am really enjoying my swimming. Whilst I'm not very fast anymore, I'm still holding it with the sub 40's (I'm 53) and it was nothing this morning to go to the dam & swim 4km this morning, all on my own, before sunrise. Maybe one day I'll do the channel or something like that, but for now, the activity is the sole focus, and I'm loving it.

Starting to finally think about retirement (still 10 years away but getting closer) has also taken some of the depression around growing old away. Finally a good reason to accept being old. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some great advice here from all. I’ll be 64 soon, retired, and doing more cycling than ever but should probably do more upper body work. I walk every week day morning plus do gardening during the day and rides. Just keep moving, stay flexible, and watch my food intake. We are all probably a lot fitter than the average person our age.

• Like 1

Re-frame the challenge from being as fast/best as you can to slowing-the-slowdown as best as you can, and maintaining your strength and fitness as best as you can. There is no need to "give in" as you get older, but to accept reality and with it, not against it.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Look at other people your age.  I'm about to turn 40.  Plenty of 40 year olds look younger than me but shit a lot of them are fatter & look older. 

My daughters school had a 3km fun run on Thursday & I was the only parent to run it with the kids.  Plenty of parents watching. Lots had "injuries" 

After the run, one of the teachers said to me " you can tell your kid a hundred times a day you love them, what you just did proves you love her" 

That's arwsome mate , that's what keeping fit happy and healthy is all about ,  not plastic trophies 🏆 

we have 14 year old grand daughters and the only time they ride , run or swim is with us (me and mrs IP) As their parents couldn't run or ride out of sight on a dark night 

they don't even have bikes at their place 

one thing  I love about being fit is that I can go and do pretty much anything anytime without even thinking about how hard it will be or whether I could get through it

i never even think about my age , if fact i just always think I'm still thirty and actually really have to think when I'm asked how old I am

on the plane to Kona a couple of weeks back I was talking to an older couple who was going to watch their son race and they thought I was in his age group 

I was shocked when they said he was 30 and they nearly choked when I told em my age  lol

• Like 1

Sorry I suppose to answer the OP question 

personally I think I'm lucky as I have good genes (except for my cancer one!!!) but my body is holding up well

i think the key is to not stop training/exercising, it's generally when u stop and try to get going agiain is when the injuries kick in and the motivation leeses and the wieght piles on 

I allways have to watch what I eat (I never go on the scales) and I did slip out to over 100 kegs at around 21 yrs old too much food , too much grog and no excersise , but have been 66 kegs for the last 15 years and now 63 in the last two years with a change to lower carb and more fat but nuffin drastic 

dont use your age as an excuse to stop or not to do something , u just have to swallow your pride sometimes but just think that most Australians arnt as fit as you let along someone older than 40

also supplements get a pretty bad wrap but as we age , we all need extra stuff 

I use lots of supps and eat real well get lots of sleep , , cut out processed shit and sugar and I feel a million bucks 

its like most things , it all depends how much u want it , or believe you need it as there is allways an easy way out because there is no magic pill unfortunately 

• Like 2

Two great posts Ironpo. I completely agree. My sport/activity/training etc is just my lifestyle and what I've always done. I'm 44 but don't feel any different from when I was in my 20's and feel as though I could have a crack at pretty much anything. I'm just at the point where I'm thinking about doing some more strength training again as I think that's of benefit getting older, but from a tri perspective I'm probably as fit/fast as I've ever been (semi-serious MOPer). I know everyone has different interests etc, but there are a lot of people who just do no activity at all and they pay for it by looking (and probably feeling) much older than they are.

This hits home a bit at the moment too as I'm completely out of action due to a skin graft on my arm. I've been sitting on the couch for the last 5 weeks with probably another couple to go without exercise. I went from 70.3 training load and getting ready for racing season, to being a couch potato. It's driving me nuts and I'm feeling very sluggish.... but this level of activity is how a lot of people spend their lives.

• Like 1

Have you seen my hair!!!!  I don't accept it at all, and still think of myself as a 19yr old kid, including maturity level!  I keep asking my wife 'do I look as old as that dude on TV', and she'll say, yeah, probably the same.  Then I check and the actor's bloody 5 years younger than me when I thought they'd be 5 older............  No acceptance of this at all.  But I was a serious serious stick right up to my early'is 20's (55 to 60kg), then ballooned out when I got lazy.  Physically I'd look the best I ever have in my life, especially with the little gut on it's way out again now.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bRace said:

This hits home a bit at the moment too as I'm completely out of action due to a skin graft on my arm. I've been sitting on the couch for the last 5 weeks with probably another couple to go without exercise. I went from 70.3 training load and getting ready for racing season, to being a couch potato. It's driving me nuts and I'm feeling very sluggish.... but this level of activity is how a lot of people spend their lives.

I'm not having a go At you at all so please don't take it that way (and also have no idea of the injury/graft)

but if that was me I'd be on the trainer as it should be possible to just sit and spin 

that way u still get the mental satisfaction of doing something and also stay in a routine 

it was like like years ago I did my ankle playing football , but I still got up and did laps of the block on my crutches , and then when I could I borrowed a friends bike and rode 20ks a day 

(I never rode a bike back then)

2 minutes ago, ironpo said:

I'm not having a go At you at all so please don't take it that way (and also have no idea of the injury/graft)

but if that was me I'd be on the trainer as it should be possible to just sit and spin 

Probably not allowed to sweat through the graft (if it will even allow sweat when it heals?) ?

10 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Probably not allowed to sweat through the graft (if it will even allow sweat when it heals?) ?

Yes I was thinking that would be the case 

probaly wouldn't stop me cause I'm an goose 

maybe just make sure it's easy spin with no sweat 

just useing it as an example more than anything , as I said no having a go at all

• Like 1

You can look at new challenges too. Easy to pb something you have never done before.

Helps that we tend to have a bit more disposable cash to switch things up, as we get older.

• Like 1

I had a look around the other day at my classmates from school, a surprising number: have "age related" disabilities, are just hoping to make it through to retirement, or are dead?

All I've got to do is to stand still and I'm ahead of the pack.

But:

I'm having a crack at getting back under the 80k mark (I feel better there and run faster) & am 1/2 way through a master degree. The kids might be leaving home but I'm as busy as ever (if you worried you cant beat a black dog just run faster than him) :) 

• Like 3