Gizmo

Canyon - Gizmo needs a bike

Hi folks, its been a while, I was one of the original members #13 and had some great times here, learned a lot as well in my 100 ish races. Not been doing of racing a lot past couple of years after Cairns IM 2014

Time to get a new bike, my old one conked after 3 frames on my ultegra group set and 80k on it. 

Been looking for a new road bike, so much out there and really not a huge budget. 

The Canyons seem good value for money but being old skool kinda want to see one in the flesh but as you know they only ship from the factory. Looking at the Endurance CF SL 7.0 Disc (also noting lots are now disc) yes its been a while.. Got to get off my fat arse and get back on the road. Its got 105 (had hoped for Ultegra) but the frame set looks sweet and DT wheels think it might do me.

Anyone got one, any advice or tips on what is out there (budget 3k ish). Any advice is appreciated.

Canyon 2900.png

Can't help re the query above, but great to have you back mate.

Good luck with the new bike!

• Like 1

I have an Aeroad and I love it. Bike arrived on time and was really simple to put together.

I think they are pretty competitive in terms of value for money. 

Value for money canyon is hard to beat

i don't know much about the bike you have posted but canyon bikes are just great German enginering and are fantastic bikes 🚴 

dispite canyon OZ being a bunch of slack F$uckers , canyon them selves across the board are really easy to deal with and will make sure u get the right fit on the right bike

Value for money, seriously? They are great bikes and all but if you're looking for value for money go buy a Giant.

Gizmo whatever you choose, just make sure it's a Cervelo. You know it's the right thing to do.

• Like 2

A bit of a stretch saying value for money, they are pretty expensive for what you get. I froth over Canyons but recently bought new Giant roady due to the value. It's embarrassing to tell people but damn it rides nice.

I'm surprised the word "Giant" hasn't yet been added to the sweat filter :)

3 hours ago, Rog said:

Value for money, seriously? They are great bikes and all but if you're looking for value for money go buy a Giant.

I'm ignoring my dislike for giant in this quote below 

I think most who are seriously looking at buying a new bike would disagree with you 

canyons mid range bikes are great bang for your buck 

On 27/10/2017 at 7:56 AM, Rog said:

Gizmo whatever you choose, just make sure it's a Cervelo. You know it's the right thing to do.

Giant TCR Advanced disc brakes Ultegra Di2 $6999

Giant TCR Advanced Pro disc brakes Ultegra Di2 $5999

Canyon Ultimate SLX disc brakes Ultegra Di2 $6999

Canyon Aeroad CF SLX disc brakes Ultegra Di2 $7200

Propel Advanced Sl  disc brakes Ultegra Di2 $7999

*all based on internet prices, Giants may be cheaper with "mates rates etc" 

I'm trying to decide on a new bike & want Di2 & disc brakes. They all have carbon wheels. I didn't look it which had the better wheels, reviews, weight etc. 

They both look about the same bang for buck. As I said earlier, I think the Canyon will have better re-sale.  Giants drop their price very quickly.

• Like 1

Cervelo S3 with Disc & Ultegra Di2 $9700 on sale at $7200 (does come with Enve wheels) 

Specialized Tarmac Disc & Ultegra Di2 $6800 

I do like the Red Cervelo S3 

The Canyon comes with Reynolds strike tubeless ready wheels. 

Great wheels.  In my opinion, a bit too deep though. 

Haven't checked the Giant specs for the wheels, but wouldn't think they are as good as that. 

2 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I think the Canyon will have better re-sale

I dont  buy bikes based on selling them. I buy based on riding them

38 minutes ago, Turts said:

I dont  buy bikes based on selling them. I buy based on riding them

I like to get a new bike every year.  So it’s important to me.  Just like buying a car, I look for resale value.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bored@work said:

I like to get a new bike every year.  So it’s important to me.  Just like buying a car

Cool.

Ive got 2 cars. A 1991 and a 2002.

And the frame from my first roadie in 2002.

I don't sell bikes. I ride them till theres something wrong then fix it. Still buy new bikes - just dont sell them. 

21 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

My wife makes me sell them.  She is so mean. 

At least she lets you buy them 😢😢😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I'm trying to decide on a new bike & want Di2 & disc brakes. They all have carbon wheels. I didn't look it which had the better wheels, reviews, weight etc. 

Im the same, but cant find anything that really excites me. Was hoping the propel disc may fit the bill but the colours are UGLY this year.  

Im still undecided on Canyon as yet. Would at least like to tyre kick and sit on it before purchasing. 

3 hours ago, roxii said:

Im the same, but cant find anything that really excites me. Was hoping the propel disc may fit the bill but the colours are UGLY this year.  

Im still undecided on Canyon as yet. Would at least like to tyre kick and sit on it before purchasing. 

We are heading to Europe in April & I was thinking of squeezing a trip into the Canyon Factory to have a look.  I think they have a small shop at the Factory.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2017 at 11:02 AM, Bored@work said:

We are heading to Europe in April & I was thinking of squeezing a trip into the Canyon Factory to have a look.  I think they have a small shop at the Factory.

I think you mean small factory in their shop...the Koblenz outlet is a huge building with a coffee shop, a wall of prototypes, examples of all current bikes, their major event winning bikes (Jan's Kona bike, Quintano's pink Giro bike etc), 4 bike fitting bays, complete clothing store and more. It's a great way to fill in a few hours at a really nice city although it would appear that you still order and configure your bike via their work stations, and then collect and get fitted at a later date (unless its in stock "out the back"). It's a little hard to find (particularly if on foot) so feel free to PM me if you want further details.

• Like 3

On 29/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, Bored@work said:

I’m keen to try tubeless 

My advice Is don’t.  I ran them for a couple of years until I got sick of the mucking about.  You need a lot of pressure to mount them, have to use Co2 or air compressor.  Also there is not many tyre choices available.  The Hutchisons I used wore quite quickly, nothing like the life of a conti. There is more choice now but still limited.  If you run the liquid sealant to fix flats when riding then it gets very messy when you need to change the tyre. Also if you get a big hole out riding, then you need to put a tube in and that is a real  pain.

However they do have a great feel great to ride on.

8 hours ago, peteb said:

My advice Is don’t.  I ran them for a couple of years until I got sick of the mucking about.  You need a lot of pressure to mount them, have to use Co2 or air compressor.  Also there is not many tyre choices available.  The Hutchisons I used wore quite quickly, nothing like the life of a conti. There is more choice now but still limited.  If you run the liquid sealant to fix flats when riding then it gets very messy when you need to change the tyre. Also if you get a big hole out riding, then you need to put a tube in and that is a real  pain.

However they do have a great feel great to ride on.

Damm I was thinking it would be a good option for race wheels. Especially with all the overseas races, I do.  I hate rolling around on singles, in a new city. 

I wonder if any of the new options are any better. 

I'm with peteb on this one.  I tried tubeless didn't like it at all.  Feel is better.  Still not as nice as tubs though, I reckon. 

Appreciate this is a road bike thread - saw the canyons in person at the Noosa expo. They are pretty smick. They have Sarah and Patrick’s Kona rigs at the stand as well as the roadie which also looked pretty good. Can see the popularity of them for age groupers rising as they are very nice. 

E325624D-3D87-4C3F-BDD8-AF337E9A410B.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, chappy019 said:

Appreciate this is a road bike thread - saw the canyons in person at the Noosa expo. They are pretty smick. They have Sarah and Patrick’s Kona rigs at the stand as well as the roadie which also looked pretty good. Can see the popularity of them for age groupers rising as they are very nice. 

Yep

22 hours ago, chappy019 said:

No respect at all for her now, just noticed the Ceramicspeed oversize jockey wheels.  Get up at 3am & earn your watts like AP.  She's no tiger.

• Like 1

On 03/11/2017 at 9:09 PM, Flanman said:

3A98D3A9-40BB-46E5-8E8A-37694700F6B0.jpeg

Saw a dude do the Gong ride on one of these. Bigger guy with a plait down below his bum crack. Saw him at another couple of rides too but gotta respect him going down (and up) Waterfall  on this.