Turts

Fly6- how stable?

Good enough to use on a mtb for some course action?

Dont want to spend a heap of money and it would tick multiple boxes over a much more exxy go pro

I bought the original gopro hero 4 for $230, add in about 40 for a bike mount.  Obviously battery doesn't last as long etc, but at least it will get some other work............ some.

I have a gen 1 Shimano cam that is not getting used, yours if you want it. Just needs an SD card. 

12 minutes ago, roxii said:

I have a gen 1 Shimano cam that is not getting used, yours if you want it. Just needs an SD card. 

Wow, that awesome.  Id buy it off u of course. 

Can it mount to the setpost for a rear view? Reason ur not using it?

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Ahh ok no probs. 

Ah. Guessing it cant be mounted facing rear? Duct tape or zip ties?

1 minute ago, Turts said:

Wow, that awesome.  Id buy it off u of course. 

Can it mount to the setpost for a rear view? Reason ur not using it?

It uses standard gopro type mounts so Im sure there is a way to mount it.

I dont use it as its either a bit clunky to use or I just havent spent the time getting to know it well enough (plus I have a gopro which is easier to use) 

Its  a freebie if you want it, I realise I have too much crap in my garage and if I hang on to it too long it will be worth nothing anyway, its not the "newest tech" .

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

It uses standard gopro type mounts so Im sure there is a way to mount it.

I dont use it as its either a bit clunky to use or I just havent spent the time getting to know it well enough (plus I have a gopro which is easier to use) 

Its  a freebie if you want it, I realise I have too much crap in my garage and if I hang on to it too long it will be worth nothing anyway, its not the "newest tech" .

Consider it sold then! 

Sweet.  Ill pm u

If it uses the standard GoPro mount, then you have a tonne of options. The are seat rail mounts, front mounts that will fit the camera underneath and Garmin on top. K-edge make some well regards ones.

• Like 1

And don't pay the over-inflated Go-Pro prices. I've been using a $4.95 ebay special in anodised alloy. Looks good & has been going strong for 2 years.

• Like 1

OK if rear mount for safety, the Fly6 is good. Has the feature that if you get cleaned up and the bike hits the deck, it senses that and saves that file for evidence.  Here is some rear-mount Fly-6 footage from my bike around single track.

• Thanks 1

The new Fly 6 has a velcro strap unlike the old model with the rubber band type elastics.  The only problem I have is the aero spacer may not fit all tri aero seat posts.  I lost it on a bumpy road but my Fly 6 stayed on as the velcro strap was tough as nails.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Mine has the elastic bands and the aero spacer fits well on my 2006 P3 aero post......not that the P3 sees the light of day much anymore.

I don't have much post showing on my P3 and the BTS cage gets in the way but I find I still have enough length with the extended bands to mount on the flat part of the seat tube.

How many hours use do you get out of a single charge with the fly 6?

Would it be good on the front of a mountain bike?

7 minutes ago, Rocket Salad said:

How many hours use do you get out of a single charge with the fly 6?

Would it be good on the front of a mountain bike?

I get about 5hr as long as I have it on the basic mode with no extra light mode.

cant answer the mtb question but the footage is very stable for me.

So roxii sent me a shimano bike camera.

It's a bit clunky, and hard to remember how to set up properly.   There is a smartphone ap which is awesome ..... when it connects.

But, I hung it on my left chainstay this morning, and got some good footage.

The screenshots are rubbish, but you get the idea.  Good for it's purpose!  I also had the quality set right down low to make the files smaller - but they are still waaaaay huge.  I'll need to work out how to cut and blend I think.

Shimano Benny running.png

Shimano Nugget 2.png

Shimano Nugget.png

Shimano runnig.png

Glad you got it working. 

Im sure if you put the time in it will get easier to navigate, I just couldnt be stuffed!!  :lol: 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Glad you got it working. 

Im sure if you put the time in it will get easier to navigate, I just couldnt be stuffed!!  :lol: 

Absolutely. 

Ive got a few pay it forwards on my to do list now 😁 

Ive also got a saddle mount coming.

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

do you have one of those new google self riding bikes? :D

Jealous?  🤣

UPDATE

Thought I'd revisit this.  The newer Fly6 I have found is rubbish compared to the second one they released.

I am now onto my 3rd replacement. They work for a few weeks and then stop charging.

Really annoying.

I'd avoid the 3rd edition if you are thinking about it

Mine (whoops I mean my wife's Mother Day pressy) has not missed a beat from Day 1, and it gets belted about on the MTB.  I don't know what version it is, got it about 2yrs ago.

14 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Mine (whoops I mean my wife's Mother Day pressy) has not missed a beat from Day 1, and it gets belted about on the MTB.  I don't know what version it is, got it about 2yrs ago.

so a V2 then most likely, the new one is the CE model