Cranky

New Wetsuit Time

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Really? If that fits u well then their sizing is up the shiit. 

No wonder i can never get a suit to fit online

Maybe I better actually look at the size then 

I know I was in a smt but when they bought out the newer helix I changed sizes

Been in a roka for years and Ill never go away from them.

Putting the suit on is the most important thing, mine sits around 5cm above my ankles and about the same on my wrist so don't think you need to be covered from ankle to wrist it can make swimming harder depending on your limb length.  I also get someone to stand behind me and put their arms up along the back of my arm (inside the suit) give it a yank across my back then pull their arm out.  Do that both sides then zip it up.  A good way to tell if you have it on correctly is to stand in front of a mirror and if your suit looks like its done up with the zip still down then you have it on right. 

Ive seen someone swimming in a suit they put on themselves slower than they would without a wetsuit, one week later the coach helped them put it on and they were swimming like a fish.  Cranky you know this little person.

Ive also seen another friend gain 10-20sec per hundred going from bottom of the range blue seventy to the helix due to the thinner material around the shoulders giving a better range of motion and fatigueing their shoulders less.

Number 1 though if you haven't put it on correctly then you're no chance of swimming well in it no matter how much you spend.

• Like 1

My Xterra Vengeance is pretty good, super thin arms, feels like I'm swimming in a sleeveless. Not super buoyant though, so perhaps not suited to everyone. I'm not convinced it's much (at all?) quicker than my Xterra sleeveless. I need to test them out in the pool or something.

21 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ive also seen another friend gain 10-20sec per hundred going from bottom of the range blue seventy to the helix due to the thinner material around the shoulders giving a better range of motion and fatigueing their shoulders less.

This was exactly my experience. A total world of difference!

22 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

I'd imagine a lot of people would benefit by going sleeveless. You lose a bit of buoyancy, but better that than having severe restriction in the shoulders. 

3 hours ago, zed said:

I'd imagine a lot of people would benefit by going sleeveless. You lose a bit of buoyancy, but better that than having severe restriction in the shoulders. 

I would put money on 99% of those people who claim severe restriction do not have the suit on properly.

On 28/11/2017 at 10:57 AM, RunBrettRun said:

Ive seen someone swimming in a suit they put on themselves slower than they would without a wetsuit, one week later the coach helped them put it on and they were swimming like a fish.  Cranky you know this little person.

The use of the word 'little'... it could only be one person!

Loving my Xterra Vengance, went well on Sunday for the 1.3km I swam.

Edited by zed
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, zed said:

Loving my Xterra Vengance, went well on Sunday for the 1.3km I swam.

What about during the bike? 

Did a sprint today,  overall race wasn't as good as I hoped, was looking to podium, ended up 8th. They extended the sprint from a 750/20/5 to a 1/28/8, but they fvcked up the swim measurement. It ended up being 730m, so all advantage got handed to the bikers/runners. I raced in my sleeveless for the first time in a year and I ended up 1st out the water, but 3rd once we crossed the timing mats, 23/450 compared to my previous sprint where I was 5th and 154th overall (same course, similar opponents). In some ways a swim result I didn't want to have. I have a sleeved wetsuit that cost $700 and a $100 sleeveless that should be slower, but it isn't .Note I spent the whole swim with the two other guys that exited 2nd and 3rd, drafted off them, then overtook them in the final 100m. Was planning on wearing my full for Busso 70.3 in 3 weeks, but now I'm in a conundrum. Full = more flotation, sleeveless = faster stroke rate. I felt when I needed to sprint, start and end, the sleeveless was no doubt quicker. If it was 3.8km, the sleeved for sure. I wouldn't have been able to keep up the fast stroke rate for that distance, I was pretty much 3/4 catch up for the sprint. 

• Like 1

I'd give the sleeveless a go. 

Rog uses one and goes OK. 

Well done on the race today. Did you lose/find any visors for your helmet...? LOL 

17 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I'd give the sleeveless a go. 

Rog uses one and goes OK. 

Well done on the race today. Did you lose/find any visors for your helmet...? LOL 

cheers. Ride and run weren't great, but swim was OK. Managed to stay with Matt Jennings who is normally a 25min/70.3 swimmer. I've got no plans to beat him out the water in Busselton, just be happy to sit on his toes for the whole swim! So more or less irrelevant whether I go sleeveless or sleeved.

• Like 1

Yeah I was visorless. Lost 2 now... got a new one on the way.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah I was visorless. Lost 2 now... got a new one on the way.

I swim better without the visor personally. But if it helps :D:lol::P